Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012

At Microsoft's Partner Conference 2014, COO Kevin Turner was his usual self, being energetic and passionate about the future path for Microsoft. One area that he touched on briefly was about the next generation of Windows and about how the scope of the product has been defined.

While Turner didn't give hint at a release date for the next-generation OS, he did say that it will have a strong focus on the enterprise, including some of its new features. Turner also said that the next generation of Windows is being crafted based on worldwide consumer feedback. Finally, there will be API support for TV and PPI displays, which will allow developers to truly write an app once and display it everywhere.

Don't overlook the importance of this development: That's one API for all Microsoft screens; the dream used to be three screens and the cloud, now it is all screens, everywhere.

While Turner kept beating around the bush and would not give any information about when the next generation would be released, to no surprise, he made it clear that the OS is in development and based on these comments, we suspect that they are well past the infancy stages of defining the scope of the project.

While Microsoft would never say that it doesn't love Windows 8, Turner was clear that the company is going to build a quality OS the best way that it knows how. This likely means that they are going back to their Windows roots and focusing on productivity (as CEO Satya Nadella stressed last week) rather than on a hybrid solution.

When you combine this information to that of what Microsoft said at Build, it's quite clear that they want customers to know that the next generation of Windows is coming together quick and that they are moving away from the strict hybrid model that was defined by Windows 8.

Reactions: marg and Littlebits

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
Micropoo will mess it up more than ever & have countless updates to follow up their foul up. IMO. I am not holding my breath on this one.:eek::(:(

Reactions: Cowpipe

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I always like to compare Microsoft Windows, to the kind of Windows in your house. A thief can look right through Windows, see all the valuables you have on display. He can climb through your open Windows and steal all your valuables.

Back on topic, I think the new interface is just pushing this whole 'new generation flat, square, "hey look, we're trying to be modern and 'hip' and cool" Microsoft. The great thing about Windows XP (aside from that it was so stable), was that the interface really didn't try to push anything on you. There was the start menu and a list of programs, and the desktop with icons, it was darn simple! When I open my start menu I don't want big flashing icons scrolling past distracting me! "For goodness sake, all I wanted to do was open MS Paint and I've got a fifty unread emails, 200 tweets and a bunch of facebook updates I don't even give a damn about shoved in my face!"

That sums it up for me I think, which is why I won't be using Windows 8, nor Windows 9, nor Windows 10,11,12 502x or Windows XP Service Pack 10 (to be released in 2077 when Microsoft finally realises where it all went wrong)

Reactions: marg

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
With all the misgivings of Windows, I really like Win XP. No matter how vulnerable it is, it's still robust and easy to repair. MS's epic fail is their aproach to buggy patches that had to be fixed by another patch ad infinitum until they reached a point to stop support for XP. Same is true with Vista, 7 & 8 with their patches. If all they can offer are eye candy and not better functionality I'll be content with XP and Lucid Linux (although I might try to install LM Mate later this month)

Reactions: Cowpipe and marg
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.