Advice Request Microsoft Windows 8 Consumer Preview (32-bit/64-bit)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan Wootton

Level 1
Thread author
May 25, 2011
Review to follow shortly.

In the meantime, you can use the download link here to download the Windows 8 Consumer Preview (32-bit) ISO image. Note that this is 2.5GB.

You can either burn the ISO to a blank DVD or use a virtualizaton tool to test, such as VirtualBox.

Note from Microsoft: the easiest way to convert an ISO file to a DVD in Windows 7 is to use Windows Disc Image Burner. On a PC running Windows XP or Windows Vista, a third-party program is required to convert an ISO file into installable media—and DVD burning software often includes this capability. One option is the USB/DVD download tool provided by the Microsoft Store. You can also download Windows 8 Consumer Preview Setup, which includes tools that allow you to create a DVD or USB flash drive from an ISO file (Windows Vista or Windows 7 required).

More details and review to follow.

Download: 32-bit http://iso.esd.microsoft.com/WCPDL/BD1B8A49393E30CC9C4E5C88457D73E964F1F3B18/Windows8-ConsumerPreview-32bit-English.iso

64-bit http://iso.esd.microsoft.com/WCPDL/BD1B8A49393E30CC9C4E5C88457D73E964F1F3B18/Windows8-ConsumerPreview-64bit-English.iso

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Microsoft)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/consumer-preview

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
Product key is required for activation in Windows 8 consumer preview.
And product key: DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J
Windows 8 Consumer Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows 7:
• Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
• RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
• Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
• Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device or higher
• To use touch, you need a tablet or monitor that supports multitouch
• To access Windows Store and to download and run apps, you need an active Internet connection and a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768
• To snap apps, you need a screen resolution of at least 1366 x 768

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
P4a4n.png

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
I am starting to form a passionate hatred to the new start hover zones. They are just so small! I always end up clicking something else.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
If your looking for the Win8 server download its here, just like 08R2 64 bit only
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/hh670538.aspx

you will need a Hotmail account to download it

Nathan Wootton

Level 1
Thread author
May 25, 2011
Omg i hate windows 8!! can't get used to the new start menu and the start button thats gone!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Nathan Wootton said:
Omg i hate windows 8!! can't get used to the new start menu and the start button thats gone!

You make me want to download Windows 8 and install on my spare PC, I think I would be able to handle it.

:D

V

Vextor

I've got the ISO, lemee try this on a VM. Looking at videos, I don't think it's that bad.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I can wait as 2013 will be my perfect year to bought a laptop with all majority of Windows 8 OS and hopefully no more confusion if I will use that OS.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Would also like to see a laptop hardware with touch-enabled screens, for those who want a bit of both worlds from a standard laptop and tablet.

I

illumination

I just took this for a test drive a couple days ago.. It is not too bad, better then i expected. Only problem i encountered, was the Latest ATI graphics software not being compatible. Although, it was better then expected, i will be personally remaining with Windows 7 for some time, i prefer it to this OS.

iScream

Dec 7, 2011
Installed on n270 netbook, runs better than win7. But apps need at least 1024×768, so mine with 600 won't let those work, but I don't even care about apps that much.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Like all windows OS, I will wait at least a year or more so that major bugs are cleaned up and so that the OS has matured a bit. At the moment I see no reason to move to Win8. This OS is a good choice for people with AMD cpu's, especially the new line of cpu will Bulldozer architecture; The OS uses less energy (in general) and it utilizes the cpu modules as it should.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Are you seen this link: Windows 8 & Metro with Mouse and Keyboard - by badp : on blog.superuser.com : http://blog.superuser.com/2012/03/09/win8-metro-review/

Not my domain, because I stick with my Windows XP.;)

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Prorootect said:
Are you seen this link: Windows 8 & Metro with Mouse and Keyboard - by badp : on blog.superuser.com : http://blog.superuser.com/2012/03/09/win8-metro-review/

Not my domain, because I stick with my Windows XP.;)

Read 2 paragraphs and stopped, could see the obvious hate the writer has for Windows 8.

Some just can't adjust to change nor give up their precious ancient systems because they simply lack the hardware even if they wanted to use Windows 8.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." - People said the same thing with with Windows 7. Doesn't take someone with 100 trillion braincells to see how much Vista went down the drain. Windows 7 fixed that, Now since Windows 7 in my opinion is great how it is, Windows 8 is not a fix, It's an upgrade. Why buy comfy fur seat covers for your car, Ain't the original seat covers good enough? No. You don't need the fur covers, you can still drive that car of yours without them. To say, If you don't like the changes in Windows 8, Then by all means stick with Windows 7 or XP, No need to make it obvious to everyone you dislike it persistently.

Either way the Windows 8 users are the winners in the end no matter how many un-educated keyboard warriors publish bashing reviews on Windows 8 or their unbiased opinions.

Long as I'm happy with using it. Thanks.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Windows Defender for Windows 8 is getting better due to the improvement made like

"1) Complete set of malware signatures and real-time detection.
2) Protection from malware threats using a file system filter."

So its likely a full blown AV version perhaps. As the Windows 8 version updated Windows Defender could also updated on some adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.