Microsoft's Windows XP is still kickin' -- do you use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
windows-xp.jpg

Think Windows XP is dead and buried? Think again.

Microsoft's XP operating system is still used on more than a third of the installations out there, according to figures from Net Applications. Is it really still that popular?

XP was released in August of 2001, more than a decade ago. It got a new lease on life when its successor, Vista, was declared -- at least initially -- a disaster back in 2006.

windows-8-market-share-small.jpg

Read full article

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Judging from the comments from CNET alone, money is a major factor and many cannot afford to upgrade their hardware. The rest of the percentages is from XP fanboy loyalty and a small 1% represent the edgy "Why do I need to upgrade when XP serves me fine! Give me a reason why I should!" attitude, (when all the reasons why are a simple Google search away) Sooner or later they'll have HAVE to upgrade for various reasons.

Old and open to exploits, SP3 isn't a bundle of security patches that is guaranteed to protect you 100% for the next decade or two (or three if the truly insane take it that far which sadly I know a tiny handful will). :rolleyes:

As for businesses out their still using Windows XP... Good luck in the time to come with Microsoft ending support soon enough. Cutting costs at training staff for Windows 7+ and instead paying the costs of disinfecting a server infrastructure or a MCN.

Microsoft said:
On April 8, 2014, Microsoft will officially stop supporting Windows XP, meaning there will be no more security updates or other patches. When April 2014 rolls around Microsoft will have supported Windows XP for nearly 12 years.

Should you chose not to upgrade before next year, you will be, in Microsoft’s words “at your own risk” in dealing with security vulnerability and any potential malware designed to exploit them.

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
yes, i still using it, and most of my friends are still using it....

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Most of the people that I know are still using XP. In my local city almost all local businesses are still using it. That includes banks and loan offices, schools, colleges, libraries, government offices, employment services, US military, airport, city hall, county court house, county, state, federal and city police, prisons, jails, tax services, etc.

Most smaller businesses just can't afford to upgrade which will leave a lot of our personal data vulnerable since many of these services will have our credit card numbers and other personal data on file. If the smaller companies did upgrade that means they would have to borrow money from loan companies and raise the prices of their products and services.
That would be bad for all of us.

Concern people will try to do business with larger companies which can afford to upgrade while smaller companies may loose customers which in return could cause them to shut down.

It will be the smaller companies and the customers that will be affected the most.

When the economy and the cost of living is this bad, Microsoft should do something to compromise this problem.

Thanks.:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
They prefer simplicity OS and without lots of complication as their task finished in a matter of time.

Caused buying a genuine license is really a tighten budget so a choice might go for a modified pirated version.

Our school from Riyadh hence using a modified Vista version that believed as pirated.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
The only person that I knows that uses it is a friend of mine, but only for the reason that MrXidus, said "Why do I need to upgrade?".

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
every common utility software need WinXP SP3 as minimum, its light [means needs less RAM and CPU than Win7 ], and most of the games and internet softwares will work for home users,

for business, they dont need to change OS in every 2-3 years, they dont need to waste money on this, because their business computer working great with XP, why they need to learn some new things and waste some money ?? so its still running, running.....

here in india, banks still running with WinXP and QuickHeal antivirus,...... some days ago, i noticed that when i was talking with a Bank Branch Manager and he making some entry in browser, from taskbar QuickHeal 2/3 Popsup comes with message something like this " **** file looks like a spyware, and so quarantined..." , and he didn't even noticed, and doing his online work as usual...

another thing, 2-3 years ago when repairman trying to fix a ATM i noticed that ATM machine was still running with Win2000 !!!!

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I know some computer shops I've been into here in Australia are still using Windows XP and they call themselves "experts"? Plus I know that some programs can only be used on Windows XP, and if that's the case then have stand alone computer that is not connected to the internet and have it doing what it needs to do.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
tapoo said:
every common utility software need WinXP SP3 as minimum, its light [means needs less RAM and CPU than Win7 ], and most of the games and internet softwares will work for home users,

for business, they dont need to change OS in every 2-3 years, they dont need to waste money on this, because their business computer working great with XP, why they need to learn some new things and waste some money ?? so its still running, running.....

here in india, banks still running with WinXP and QuickHeal antivirus,...... some days ago, i noticed that when i was talking with a Bank Branch Manager and he making some entry in browser, from taskbar QuickHeal 2/3 Popsup comes with message something like this " **** file looks like a spyware, and so quarantined..." , and he didn't even noticed, and doing his online work as usual...

another thing, 2-3 years ago when repairman trying to fix a ATM i noticed that ATM machine was still running with Win2000 !!!!

Indeed, some supermarkets that I've saw are Windows XP business edition too, even flash screens are worked under it.

College School where I will study this June 10, does running XP so I've assume its all about programming under on that OS too.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Had a computer w/XP until it broke a couple of years and had to upgrade to 7. I thought XP was near perfect, but a day on 7 kinda changed my opinion.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I still use XP and love it, my old machines run better with XP installed since they were designed for XP!

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
In my office, except two-three computers, all computers has windows xp and one of my friends who uses windows xp said he doesn't like using windows 7 because it is so complicated :p

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
^ its because he using XP for long, and to use Win7, he need to learn how to use Win7....

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
samit said:
In my office, except two-three computers, all computers has windows xp and one of my friends who uses windows xp said he doesn't like using windows 7 because it is so complicated :p

He'll have to come out from under that rock eventually. :rolleyes:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
The major problem that is effecting small businesses is an upgrade is not an option. They are running systems that are too old to support Windows Vista and newer Windows. Their only option is to buy all new computers which will cost them much more.

Some of these small businesses are running XP which was an upgrade from Windows 2000, ME and even 98. And these computers are still running excellent. Some businesses are still using Windows 2000 and it fits their needs.

As long as these computer continue to run and satisfy the businesses needs, they see no reason to upgrade and waste money. They have more important things to worry about.

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
Littlebits said:
As long as these computer continue to run and satisfy the businesses needs, they see no reason to upgrade and waste money. They have more important things to worry about.

true from a small, medium businessman view...

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
Littlebits said:
[...]

They have more important things to worry about.

Yes like getting rid of an infection that has effected a number of their computers running Windows XP, Of course their will be the smart system administrators that put good shields in place to prevent such but you also have an equal amount of sloppy administrators who don't, either that be from lack of funds to afford great security or lack of time or just sheer out right sloppiness (which in the end costs them loses anyways). Just like consumers it's not about leaving your security product to magically protect you against all threats but it also comes down to the user and he/she's habits on avoiding infections in a business or home environment.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Also administration tends to put Limited User Account and do its important priority.

Its from the responsible of employees to avoid any those problems that may disrupt the operation.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Also administration tends to put Limited User Account and do its important priority.

Its from the responsible of employees to avoid any those problems that may disrupt the operation.

In my local area most government, schools, colleges, banks and others use limited user accounts. They only have a few Admins that update and install needed software for the workforce.

Because even without AV protection the chance of malware installing on employee systems is like non-existent since malware can not execute on limited user accounts. Of coarse the Admins can make mistakes and infect all of the workforce systems, but this doesn't happen very often.

The main problem that these older system will face is vulnerabilities in Windows XP that will no longer receive patches. Some exploits may be able to penetrate limited user accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.