Battle Most CPU friendly antivirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emers

Thread author
May 12, 2015
I have problems with my CPU overheating so i had to switch from Win7/Win 8.1 to Windows XP , sometimes my PC freezes and i have to turn it off for like 10 mins otherwise it wont boot

I dont think its Antivirus fault atm im using Qihoo 360 Total Security, maybe i should switch to Norton,Webroot or Avast? Or something else, or maybe i should stay with Qihoo 360

Or maybe almost all antiviruses nearly same when it comes to CPU usage i dont know i know that Qihoo about 60-100mb ram, Avast uses about 20mb ram, Norton uses about 30-40mb ram, BitDefender uses about 150-215mb ram.

my pc is 2GB ram, 516mb video and I have CPU from 2006 year, dual core about 4300 , 1800Ghz

(Also maybe i should change OS i havent tryed Vista SP2 and Win10 yet)

L

LabZero

Overheating? @Emers have you tried cleaning the fans and CPU heatsink ?
The powder does not allow heat dissipation and Pc goes into self protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kuttz

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
You should solve your CPU overheating issue first so that you can use any OS or antivirus you like. Open your computer, remove the CPU heatsink and clean the heatsink and fan thoroughly. After that clean your CPU's surface old thermal paste using concentrated isopropyl alcohol and apply a fresh coat of a good quality thermal paste like form Arctic Silver, Cooler master etc to the CPU surface an reseat the heatsink. Also clean other components of the PC like RAM, GPU, Motherboard etc.

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Cleaned dust from my PC few weeks ago and in average it lowered CPU temperature about 8-10 degrees Celsius. That alone could help your PC to work normally, also if the area where you live has lot of dust in air you should clean it more often. If you need to change paste on CPU than you should do it as soon as possible. Try to put your PC case on the table or some other peace of furniture because more dust is coming in if the PC case is on the floor or near the floor.

Reactions: LabZero

MagicTrout

Level 1
Verified
Jun 20, 2015
As @Huracan said it is much more likely to be a physical hardware problem like an out of date cooler not being able to keep up. As others have said it could also be a dust problem or the Thermal Grease has worn away like @kuttan said because the processor as you said is from 2006. That's a long time and new Thermal Grease can shave up to 10 degrees celsius of the average temps

L

LabZero

I would like to make an observation about the thermal paste.

It is true that after a few years, especially if you notice any problems with overheating as our case, it should be replaced.

But before you do, I suggest you try with a simple cleaning of the CPU heatsink and fan with a vacuum cleaner or compressed air at low pressure, keeping the fans because turning create harmful electrical returns to the motherboard.

Keep in mind that replacing the thermal paste is easy if you know do.

Otherwise it is an operation that could create problems, so if you need to replace it, it is best to contact technical support or someone who can.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In such cases, you need to repair any problematic hardware since software are just contributors for its computer components. So in such overheating, the mentioned post of 'heatsink' should take care for a long time but chances are it may persist.

Better yet purchase a brand new computer to save the future expenses.

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
IMO thermal paste would not be the first place to look as rarely if at all does it require to be replaced.I agree with the others that you need to find the Hardware issues and fix them.Cleaning the PC and keeping it free from dust is one simple thing that will definitely keep your PC running cooler.I religiously clean my machines and have a can of air by Evey machine.
I agree with @jamescv7 also in that with an older PC fixing big hardware problems is not worth the money when you can get a good desktop or Laptop for a good price.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I've had the same problem with a laptop AMD. Just did a swap with my other machine that had Intel in it. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.