Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
CJ13dmHVAAAdYeH.jpg

After yesterday's news that Facebook's new chief security officer wants to set a date to kill Flash once and for all, the latest version Mozilla's Firefox browser now blocks Adobe's vulnerability-riddled software as standard. Mark Schmidt, the head of the Firefox support team at Mozilla, tweeted that all versions of Flash Player are blocked in the browser as of its latest update, accompanying the news with an image showing a raised fist and the phrase "Occupy Flash."

Schmidt later clarified that while the software was blocked in the latest version of Firefox, Mozilla will enable support for Flash as default for its browser when Adobe releases a version that isn't being actively exploited by known vulnerabilities. The company has previously blocked Flash, Java, and other plugins and software when they were found to have security holes. Schmidt also noted that Firefox users can still choose to enable Flash if they wish in the settings menu.

Mark Schmidt clarified Firefox's support for Flash in a tweet sent some time after his first, noting that future versions of the software may again be enabled by default if Adobe releases a new version.

BIG NEWS!! All versions of Flash are blocked by default in Firefox as of now. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/p946 #tech #infosec

https://twitter.com/MarkSchmidty/status/620783674561327104/

To be clear, Flash is only blocked until Adobe releases a version which isn't being actively exploited by publicly known vulnerabilities.

https://twitter.com/MarkSchmidty/status/620806013768323072

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
A lot of the internet still needs flash so better hope you have a replacement ready to run this content... otherwise people like myself will still use it regardless. To kill a product, you need to replace it. Is Firefox still working on Shumway?

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
how will linux users who use firefox be affected by this.?.Firefox will lose many users because of this.

Y

yigido

how will linux users who use firefox be affected by this.?.Firefox will lose many users because of this.
Those users should improve their knowledge! If they use Firefox then they may know how to enable it again.
No matter what it costs, Firefox took a great step. It is an action what I waiting for. Other companies should do this and developers will focus on HTML5 more after this steps.

Reactions: frogboy

Sloth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2015

Most of these vulnerabilities are targeted towards windows users. But the Linux community is welcoming this move by Firefox.

Flash is too old & should die soon.

Reactions: frogboy and yigido

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Firefox on linux is stuck on version 11.2 so yes i agree the linux community will very much welcome the demise of flash..this begs several questions.
1.when will this demise (if ever) occur.?
2.what are linux FF users supposed to do in the meantime.?.I have personally tried a few online games in my firefox and sure i can circumvent the restriction and run the games,but at what risk is there in doing this.

I hope a solution is to be found swiftly.

Sloth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
Firefox on linux is stuck on version 11.2 so yes i agree the linux community will very much welcome the demise of flash..this begs several questions.
1.when will this demise (if ever) occur.?
2.what are linux FF users supposed to do in the meantime.?.I have personally tried a few online games in my firefox and sure i can circumvent the restriction and run the games,but at what risk is there in doing this.

I hope a solution is to be found swiftly.

Adobe has already released an update. So just update your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.