Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Mozilla has been working on improving Firefox's memory performance lately. Some of the improvements should already be visible in the latest Firefox 7 stable release, but testing releases, Firefox 8 and Firefox 9 move things even further along.

But Mozilla is not done yet, is is now working on slimming down its JavaScript engine, SpiderMonkey, and has made some rather big changes to come in Firefox 10 and Firefox 11.

As Mozilla notes, SpiderMonkey is being put on a diet. Its inner-workings are being rewritten and redesigned to take up as little space as possible.

Mozilla developer Nicholas Nethercote has all the details on it, but, unless you're a developer too, it's not exactly light reading.

Suffice to say, Mozilla is leaving no stone unturned. Some of the changes have been implemented, but many are in the works while some are just theoretical at this point.

One thing that is more concrete though is that TraceMonkey is being deprecated and is being removed gradually. As of Firefox 9, which introduced type inference, TraceMonkey was disabled for web content.

Read More

I must say its a good news :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I am glad that they are going to fix this. Firefox does use alot of memory. If they fix this alot of people would be happy with this. Nice find ;)

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Always good to know they are working on lowering the memory usage.
I am not bothered at all with the current usage considering I have more then enough memory.
Good on you Mozilla.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
MrXidus said:
Always good to know they are working on lowering the memory usage.
I am not bothered at all with the current usage considering I have more then enough memory.
Good on you Mozilla.
99,9% of the Firefox user have more than enough memory and in the real world I haven't heard anyone complaining on the resource usage......and this is the second time Mozilla is announcing a 'MAJOR' memory tweak..... I;m starting to think that Mozilla has run out of ideas on how to improve Firefox and now they are just improvising OR they are looking for a free way to advertise themselves.... :dodgy:

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
It's always good to see that Mozilla is always looking for ways on improving Firefox's Memory Usage.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
lol I remember when they "Fixed the memory leaks" in 3.x. It looks like now they actually are.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That benefits would actually nice for me, as my desktop using 1GB of RAM. And really forward it. ;)

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
i switched to chrome lately!i was a die hard firefox fan what i want firefox to do now its to provide the smoothness you feel while using chrome,firefox is light yeah but not as smooth as chrome anyone who use both can confirm this :p

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
The main issue for Firefox for me at least isn't the amount of RAM it uses, but the amount of times it freezes unexpectedly, even without any add-ons. Lower memory footprint is always a good thing though. I don't think I will be moving back to Firefox any time soon however.

D

Deleted member 178

Tomo172 said:
The main issue for Firefox for me at least isn't the amount of RAM it uses, but the amount of times it freezes unexpectedly, even without any add-ons. Lower memory footprint is always a good thing though. I don't think I will be moving back to Firefox any time soon however.

yes with Nightly v10 i had some freeze and the its loading is very long. i dont tell about the 689mb ram usage (working set ) i have when writing this post ...

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes, especially crashes unexpectedly but its ok for me as long its restored the tabs on specific website I browse. ;)

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
I think the best thing about Firefox is the absolute clarity of the dev team. They show you exactly what they're doing and what their plans are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.