advice: Zemana and AD-aware are not really needed

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello & thank you for sharing your configuration, @Mr. Tech!:)
I like the way you cover all the bases from your preferred software to your choice of extensions.
Well done!;)

For those times you don't open Chrome in a sandbox, I set Google Chrome to block 3rd party cookies.
  1. Click the Chrome menu
    IB7eZ2ht1pEixChJA4xp6iejr1xw3rXY_yJNeHgHajBRTzLB0ldIpEFje8gyeB4ydp6xpQpJ=w18-h18
    on the browser toolbar.
  2. Select Settings,
  3. ..and then scroll to the page's bottom, & click Show advanced settings.
  4. Under "Privacy", click on the Content settings button.
  5. Check the box "Block third party cookies & site date"
  • Additionally, you might consider marking the circle "Keep site date only until you close your browser".
..and consider using "Incognito" which clears history & cookies at the session's end.

Thanks for reading all this too!:D

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Consider removing Driver Booster
Consider removing SAS & SpywareBlaster in favor of some other on demand scanners such as HMP,EEK,Eset Online Scanner,etc.
Good config! Thanks for sharing :)

Reactions: LabZero
M

Mr. Tech

Thread author
I changed my Chrome settings to block 3rd part cookies & I am installing EEK as I post this.

On the other hand I will consider removing SUPERAntiSpyware but I won't remove SpywareBlaster as it isn't a scanner, but a malicious website blocker that is updated monthly.

Also forgot to mention that my UAC settings is set to maximum.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why the over-lapping real-time security apps, and how many website blockers do you need?

Reactions: illumination

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
On the other hand I will consider removing SUPERAntiSpyware but I won't remove SpywareBlaster as it isn't a scanner, but a malicious website blocker that is updated monthly.
I know what SpyBlaster does but in light of everything else installed,including SBIE,it is just something to consider and definitely not a requirement.Making the real time protection lighter would be a more pressing matter

Last edited:
M

Mr. Tech

Thread author
Why the over-lapping real-time security apps, and how many website blockers do you need?

MVP HOSTS, SpywareBlaster, and Web Companion are all different things and blocks different sites.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
MVP HOSTS, SpywareBlaster, and Web Companion are all different things and blocks different sites.
In essence they do the same thing, but function differently. Why not add PeerBlock?

M

Mr. Tech

Thread author
In essence they do the same thing, but function differently. Why not add PeerBlock?

PeerBlock has a lot of glitches, the first time I tried it the program wouldn't even let me update it just gave me an error in a endless loop.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
@Mr.tech-> How much RAM have you installed? Just curious, certainly you more RTP modules watching your back from malwares. Bleachbit(BB) is a worthy companion to CCleaner, but be careful with the options in BB.

M

Mr. Tech

Thread author
@Mr.tech-> How much RAM have you installed? Just curious, certainly you more RTP modules watching your back from malwares. Bleachbit(BB) is a worthy companion to CCleaner, but be careful with the options in BB.

4GB but it run's like a charm ;)

M

Mr. Tech

Thread author
Removed:
Zemana Anti-Logger
Driver Booster 2
Auslogics Disk Defrag
Pale Moon

Added:
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
MPC Cleaner
Shadow Defender
Privacy Badger
Defraggler
Opera

M

Mr. Tech

Thread author
Does anyone have any suggestions as to any programs/software I should give a try? (I like testing out new software :D)