Musings4's Security Config

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Have you another system, in addition to your Windows 8.1 with Comodo, or am I understanding correctly that you are simply saving "Emsisoft Internet Security + OA" for a rainy Comodo less day?;):p (..or maybe a future computer):D I'm a bit surprised by not seeing the Comodo (Chrome/Firefox) Twin Dragons, but I commend you, musings4, for using stable versions of both Chrome & Firefox!:D

There is a NoScript like extension for Chrome, I've been quite pleased with called ScriptBlock https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/scriptblock/hcdjknjpbnhdoabbngpmfekaecnpajba?hl=en-US I have found it's easily recognized blocking and straightforward interface to be a pleasant surprise.
Thank you for sharing your configuration!

musings4

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 17, 2014
Have you another system, in addition to your Windows 8.1 with Comodo, or am I understanding correctly that you are simply saving "Emsisoft Internet Security + OA" for a rainy Comodo less day?;):p (..or maybe a future computer):D I'm a bit surprised by not seeing the Comodo (Chrome/Firefox) Twin Dragons, but I commend you, musings4, for using stable versions of both Chrome & Firefox!:D

There is a NoScript like extension for Chrome, I've been quite pleased with called ScriptBlock https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/scriptblock/hcdjknjpbnhdoabbngpmfekaecnpajba?hl=en-US I have found it's easily recognized blocking and straightforward interface to be a pleasant surprise.
Thank you for sharing your configuration!
I'm using a more granular script blocking extension which HTTP Switchboard - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/http-switchboard/mghdpehejfekicfjcdbfofhcmnjhgaag?hl=en

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

musings4

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 17, 2014
Removed: WinRAR [Slow extraction of large/multiple archives compared to other extractors; high I/O usage as well]
Added: Peazip and Flash Control extension for both Chrome and Firefox

musings4

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 17, 2014
Removed: CIS - only AV, Peazip, Shadow Defender
Added: Qihoo TS [Custom settings; BD/Avira engines on], Comodo Firewall [Proactive Configuration - HIPS - Safe mode, sandbox rules set to untrust/block unrecognized files, Firewall - Safe Mode], WinRAR - Peazip as well as Bandizip didn't have the functionality as WinRAR

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
It looks like a strong combination, and we'll be interested in your forthcoming impressions of Quihoo TS. Thanks for sharing!:):)

PS Update: A suggestion for Chrome privacy (in the cookie scheme of things)
To adjust cookie and site data permissions:
  1. Click the Chrome menu
    tgmsrPRh34tM4q0WYv7l-NNXDz7dqm7ftk8TyCEguoY30xkEg8lcw_ULI23ki9Q=w18-h18
    on the browser toolbar.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Click Show advanced settings.
  4. In the "Privacy" section, click the Content settings button.
  5. In the "Cookies" section, you can change the following cookies settings to
    block cookies:
    • You'll see
      chrome_95647_blocked_cookie.gif
      in the address bar whenever a cookie has been blocked.
    • Block only third-party cookies: Select the "Block third-party cookies and site data" checkbox. Even if you've added a site to the Exceptions list and have chosen to allow its cookies, the site's third-party cookies won't be accepted if this checkbox is selected.

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy and LabZero
L

LabZero

Very good setup.

I noticed you removed Shadow Defender but you have enabled Comodo sandbox and HIPS.
This guarantees a high security level but if you play with malware you should create a virtualized environment using a virtual machine like Virtualbox.

If your PC is not only dedicated to malware analysis the risk that something will go wrong is too high.

musings4

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 17, 2014
It looks like a strong combination, and we'll be interested in your forthcoming impressions of Quihoo TS. Thanks for sharing!:):)

PS Update: A suggestion for Chrome privacy (in the cookie scheme of things)
To adjust cookie and site data permissions:
  1. Click the Chrome menu
    tgmsrPRh34tM4q0WYv7l-NNXDz7dqm7ftk8TyCEguoY30xkEg8lcw_ULI23ki9Q=w18-h18
    on the browser toolbar.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Click Show advanced settings.
  4. In the "Privacy" section, click the Content settings button.
  5. In the "Cookies" section, you can change the following cookies settings to
    block cookies:
    • You'll see
      chrome_95647_blocked_cookie.gif
      in the address bar whenever a cookie has been blocked.
    • Block only third-party cookies: Select the "Block third-party cookies and site data" checkbox. Even if you've added a site to the Exceptions list and have chosen to allow its cookies, the site's third-party cookies won't be accepted if this checkbox is selected.

Been had that setting covered for years now ;)

musings4

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 17, 2014
I see you have added Peazip which is good but have you tried Bandizip. ;)

Link. Bandizip - Download Free Zip Archiver to open ZIP, RAR, 7z files

Tried both off and on for a while but I always revert back to WinRAR. The main gripe/nuisance I have with both extractors is that you can't reuse an existing window from an active archive window. And specifically from Peazip is the extracting w/o paths option in which it will leave a folder(s) if the archive contains one which I dislike.

Reactions: frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.