Bez's Configuration and a "firewall probem"

bez

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 25, 2014
I used my last system (dual boot W 7 x64 / x32) with plenty of applications for four years. So finally came the right time to reinstall. I did it few weeks ago and now I am gradually installing applications. Sometimes these are difficult decissions since I don't want to clog my machine to much this time.

As to security programs - I am still planning to install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Free (on demand only) and Sicky Password (both used before reinstallation).

Have some problem with choosing firewall program :

Previously I had some good experience with Comodo Firewall, but last versions are pushed with Comodo antivirus, that can't be FULLY deactivated and conflicts with Emsisoft Antimalware, which I prefere to use.

I've tried Emsisoft Online Armor also, but can't get along with its HIPS module.

So in next step I decided to try some high rated, but very simple ones (without HIPS) - from the list published on http://www.techsupportalert.com/ : Private Firewall and portable (!!) Windows 7 Firewall Control.
Then also BiniSoft Windows Firewall Control (not free).

NONE was working without giving me some troubles (they were not easy to use and there were some errors, so I couldn't smoothly use my applications).
So - by now - I came back to using the standard Windows 7 firewall, that works flawlessly but is difficult to configure.

My conclusion :
While using Emsisoft Antimalware with strong real time protection - I guess - I can give up HIPS.
But what I really need is an easy access to setting custom rules for at least these programs I got from GOTD and other promotions. These apps can't be updated, but they often try to do so, without asking permission. Therefore the best way is simply to block them from accessing internet. That isn't an easy task in Windows Firewall itself.

So - as you see - my "firewall problem" is stil waiting to be solved. :)

Last edited:

software182

Level 12
Verified
Mar 4, 2014
Well, i'm not pro, someone will help you here, btw thanks for sharing your config. Great config :)

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Hi, thanks for the config. You CAN use COMODO with Emsisoft, Emsisoft is a companion AV which means that you can run Emsisoft with any other AV. I have used Emsisoft with Kaspersky, ESET, and Bitdefender without issue! Also, Why not TinyWall? It is a more customizable Windows Firewall-like style Firewall: http://tinywall.pados.hu/

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have been using EIS (EAM & OA)for a long time on my Windows 7 installations and I love it. You can stick with Windows Firewall.Although it might not be as easy to configure as some,it isn't terribly difficult either for the medium to advanced user.Thanks for sharing your config :)

bez

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 25, 2014
I have been using EIS (EAM & OA)for a long time on my Windows 7 installations and I love it. You can stick with Windows Firewall.Although it might not be as easy to configure as some,it isn't terribly difficult either for the medium to advanced user.Thanks for sharing your config :)

1. Do you use HIPS part of OA along with EAM (there is already behavio blocker) ?
Isn't it too much ?
2. Is there anywhere in the net a good instruction for OA configuration ???

I ask these questions, because I am about to try OA once more.
When I was using Comodo Firewall - it was configured according to the very good instruction placed that time on http://www.techsupportalert.com/ . It worked perfect !
I would love to have such "guidelines" for OA....
Or may by you could instruct me, please. :)

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
EAM & OA make up Emsisoft Internet Security.Although they are separate they are made to run together.They will soon be releasing EIS 9 which will include EAM & OA in one program.

bez

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 25, 2014
EAM & OA make up Emsisoft Internet Security.Although they are separate they are made to run together.They will soon be releasing EIS 9 which will include EAM & OA in one program.

I'm long time user of Emsisoft Antimalware so I am familiar with all general information.

The question I ask you is if YOU use HIPS together with EAM behawior blocker. And what are the differencies between these two ?

Could you give me instructions for proper and SAVE configuration of OA ?
If you use this program anyway - it probably shouldn't be a big deal for you, should it ?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I used my last system (dual boot W 7 x64 / x32) with plenty of applications for four years. So finally came the right time to reinstall. I did it few weeks ago and now I am gradually installing applications. Sometimes these are difficult decissions since I don't want to clog my machine to much this time.

As to security programs - I am still planning to install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Free (on demand only) and Sicky Password (both used before reinstallation).

Have some problem with choosing firewall program :

Previously I had some good experience with Comodo Firewall, but last versions are pushed with Comodo antivirus, that can't be FULLY deactivated and conflicts with Emsisoft Antimalware, which I prefere to use.

I've tried Emsisoft Online Armor also, but can't get along with its HIPS module.

So in next step I decided to try some high rated, but very simple ones (without HIPS) - from the list published on http://www.techsupportalert.com/ : Private Firewall and portable (!!) Windows 7 Firewall Control.
Then also BiniSoft Windows Firewall Control (not free).

NONE was working without giving me some troubles (they were not easy to use and there were some errors, so I couldn't smoothly use my applications).
So - by now - I came back to using the standard Windows 7 firewall, that works flawlessly but is difficult to configure.

My conclusion :
While using Emsisoft Antimalware with strong real time protection - I guess - I can give up HIPS.
But what I really need is an easy access to setting custom rules for at least these programs I got from GOTD and other promotions. These apps can't be updated, but they often try to do so, without asking permission. Therefore the best way is simply to block them from accessing internet. That isn't an easy task in Windows Firewall itself.

So - as you see - my "firewall problem" is stil waiting to be solved. :)
Thanks for sharing!:)

I've used and like Windows Firewall with Windows 7 too.:rolleyes::cool: Although I've not used the free ware Firewall by Webroot,o_O I have read good comments about it here, and you can read about it on Softpedia ;) http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Firewall/Webroot-Desktop-Firewall.shtml

There is also a 90 Day promotion on WebRoot Software here
http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/promotions/linkedin

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.