My newest test of browser protection

taleblou

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 2, 2012
Hi:

This is my latest test on protection offered by a selected numbers of browsers. Comments are welcomed as always.

[attachment=5123]

Attachments

• browser test.xls.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 354

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I'm lost when it comes to "MALICIOUS LINKS BLOCKING (% blocked)" ? Is it 80 of Epic's links went through or were blocked?

Z

ZeroDay

Thanks for the test. I've downloaded it and I'll check it out later.

taleblou

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 2, 2012
McLovin said:
I'm lost when it comes to "MALICIOUS LINKS BLOCKING (% blocked)" ? Is it 80 of Epic's links went through or were blocked?

That 80% was blocked. EPIC browser has a virustotal download checker built in. SO When downloading a files ( videos excluded), the download manager of Epic asks you if you want to ran a quick virustotal check and when you click it checks the download in virustotal (only takes a couple second) and gives you the result in a new tap and if its safe then you can click to continue downloading your file and if not then you can cancel the download.

That how it passed 80% of malware links.

taleblou

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 2, 2012
For other non EPIC browsers I suggest malware blocking extension or third party web browser protection is needed.

Since Epic is based on Firefox, for its phishing blocking short coming I think anti-phishing add-ons is needed.

For browsers like Firefox , Chrome and those based on these 2 the add-ons of Bitdefender Trafficlight and Mcafee site advisor is suggested.

Also tweaked K9 web security is suggested if you want all browser protection as it has the option to block malwares, and other dangerous sites.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you have copy of the URLs used?

Also I've found Google Chrome's SafeBrowsing effective in everyday use, so I don't think Chrome or IE10 need extras.

In your next test, I'd like to see the recommended software you have suggested tested.

taleblou

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 2, 2012
Earth said:
Do you have copy of the URLs used?

Also I've found Google Chrome's SafeBrowsing effective in everyday use, so I don't think Chrome or IE10 need extras.

In your next test, I'd like to see the recommended software you have suggested tested.

I used malc0de.com malware links.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
taleblou said:
That 80% was blocked. EPIC browser has a virustotal download checker built in. SO When downloading a files ( videos excluded), the download manager of Epic asks you if you want to ran a quick virustotal check and when you click it checks the download in virustotal (only takes a couple second) and gives you the result in a new tap and if its safe then you can click to continue downloading your file and if not then you can cancel the download.

So all the other browsers failed in the test?

taleblou

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 2, 2012
McLovin said:
taleblou said:

So all the other browsers failed in the test?

Well yes and EPIC passed because of its virustotal download checker option. Otherwise it would have failed.

Also both chrome and firefox have virustotal checker add-on or extension that can be added so them too can check with virustotal. In Firefox the extension is called 'VTzilla".

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.