Approachables' Security Configuration

Approachable

Thread author
Dec 20, 2014
Hi guys this is my security configuration. It may seem pretty ok but it aint. Father or mother always download some bad thing from internet and always pups,adware,viruses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tonibalas

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
nice config. if ur father and mother get often infected u can try avast(hardernmode aggressive). use a password for avast and u will most like not get any infection. Avast is free and way lighter than bitdefender on system and browsing.

Approachable

Thread author
Dec 20, 2014
Consider some type of backup solution.Thanks for sharing your config :)

I generally backup all files to the external hard disk but no specific software just copy paste.

nice config. if ur father and mother get often infected u can try avast(hardernmode aggressive). use a password for avast and u will most like not get any infection. Avast is free and way lighter than bitdefender on system and browsing.

So install avast free and the highest settings? Is this what you mean?

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
I generally backup all files to the external hard disk but no specific software just copy paste.

So install avast free and the highest settings? Is this what you mean?
Avast with costum install (Reatimeshield,webshield only) Change settings to PUP detection enable,heuristic to high,remove the exclusion list from realtimeshield, set hardern mode to aggressive.

Approachable

Thread author
Dec 20, 2014
Avast with costum install (Reatimeshield,webshield only) Change settings to PUP detection enable,heuristic to high,remove the exclusion list from realtimeshield, set hardern mode to aggressive.

Thanks for your input. But i still have 170 days of Bitdefender Total Security 2015 left so do i still have to change to avast?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As consider on this type of situation, you might consider to create an account as limited/standard therefore they cannot execute programs without administrator permission.

Approachable

Thread author
Dec 20, 2014
As consider on this type of situation, you might consider to create an account as limited/standard therefore they cannot execute programs without administrator permission.

Yep thinking of that. I have another problem too one is the BuynSave Adware(not so important) but another problem i face with Bitdefender is that my custom settings are being set to default every time my pc reboots(sometimes even without a reboot).For example the active virus control settings in antivirus settings i changed it to aggressive before restart and now its unticked(thats is now its set to zero). Like that many of my settings are being changed. I already contacted support through the inbuilt option in the software god know when they'll reply.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Have you consider to follow this removal procedure?
malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-buynsave-virus/

That's strange but try to make a fresh install of Bitdefender to check if that problem exist.

Approachable

Thread author
Dec 20, 2014
Have you consider to follow this removal procedure?
malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-buynsave-virus/

That's strange but try to make a fresh install of Bitdefender to check if that problem exist.

Oh thanks for the article. Currently scanning with MBAM Pro will get back with the results. Yep i have tried reinstalling but maybe while uninstalling all files weren't removed? That leftovers caused the issue?

Maximum

Level 1
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
This actually isn't a bad security configuration, But you should consider keeping Restore Points & Backups.

Also i suggest you use a different Anti-Virus such as avast! Free Anti-Virus or (Qihoo) 360 Total Protection.

Approachable

Thread author
Dec 20, 2014
Use their own uninstaller tool : http://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall/

Observe if there will be a problems for that.

I think i have to wait a little. I have already raised the issue to their support team so maybe wait till they respond. Because if they have some solution i may try that. Uninstalling and reinstalling the issue raised will become useless. If they don't respond within today i'll try to uninstall and then reinstall.

Approachable

Thread author
Dec 20, 2014
This actually isn't a bad security configuration, But you should consider keeping Restore Points & Backups.

Also i suggest you use a different Anti-Virus such as avast! Free Anti-Virus or (Qihoo) 360 Total Protection.

Enlighten me on how to do those backups? Restore points they are automatically created right? Any specific recommendation for backup software ? Well doesn't bitdefender beat these antivirus softwares in all the leading lab tests and major review sites?

Approachable

Thread author
Dec 20, 2014
Perfect.

Stick with Bitdefender. Autopilot mode is the best if you ask me.

Yep i think backing up that way i only have what i need. Windows files in case of corruption the best i feel is to do a fresh install.
Now i'm in autopilot mode but the active virus control it ticked of (which means it ain't working) but i want that setting to be aggressive.
Active_Virus_Control.jpg

Autopilot.jpg

Maximum

Level 1
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Enlighten me on how to do those backups? Restore points they are automatically created right? Any specific recommendation for backup software ? Well doesn't bitdefender beat these antivirus softwares in all the leading lab tests and major review sites?

You can find Backup Utilities here:
ZDNet - Backup Software Downloads

And personally i wouldn't go by these 'big' online reviews because you gotta think about who is paying who to get a better review but with my personal experience on the AV 360 Total Security it has been the best so far! Its Fast, Free, and It is amazing on protection.

E

eight

Restore points they are automatically created right?

Yes they are.
Well doesn't bitdefender beat these antivirus softwares in all the leading lab tests and major review sites?

Yes it does. I am assuming you have done a Full System Scan.

i wouldn't go by these 'big' online reviews

Correction. Not reviews, Tutorials.

Tutorials for using what Windows 8.1 has built-in rather than a list of 3rd party software as recommended.

360 Total Security it has been the best so far! Its Fast, Free, and It is amazing on protection
& it incorporates a Bitdefender engine :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.