Troubleshoot Need help removing adware from my Mac....someone?

BrownEyes

Thread author
Aug 10, 2014
Before i start: This is the second time i have re-written this entire plea for help, & with my medical issues, that does not come without a painful price tag, :(so please—

I have a Mac OS X 10.9.4 & i tried to d/l the FRST but it is not compatible with my OS, (which is what i tried to explain the last time before i was transported back to that page to d/l that program while all my writing had disappeared. :eek:

So, i do apologize, (very much), in advance, (old dog, remember?), as i don’t really know very much about the ins & outs of computers, but i do try to listen, follow advice, & learn.:)

SO…..here’s what happened:

A few days ago i was prompted to install an update. When i proceeded to do so, (i believe it was for 'Silverlight' as i am on Amazon quite a bit), i immediately started getting pop ups whenever i would try to do any kind of browsing or researching, etc. I am an avid photographer & genealogist so i tend to go back & forth between sites frequently, which was impossible to do at this time though i have never had any issues before. Now i was constantly bombarded with these annoyances. I could not figure out what i had messed up. It was only by accident that i found an Optimizer OS (?) program on desktop. Since i didn’t know what it was or how it got there i thought it to be a good idea to remove it—AFTER running my scans. My scans had also picked up some other little hitchhikers that were not on my computer previously, they were 'shopads' or such. Those were deleted after i finished my scans.

So, I ran my 'CleanMyMac' program thoroughly, as well as 'MacKeeper', 'iBoostUp', 'ClamXav','Bitdefender Virus Scanner', & 'AVG'. Yet although cleaning up files & increasing storage space, etc., the 'problem' remained. It did ‘appear’ to correct the problem, even removing the ‘Optimizer’ program off of my desktop & it was nowhere to be found after I ran all cleaners. However, after it still not being quite right, i find 9 threats/infections after running my Bitdefender:

Adware.MAC.OSX.VSearch.A (3 of those)

Adware.MAC.OSX.VSearch.C (2 of those)

Adware.MAC.OSX.VSearch.G (2 of those)

Adware.MAC.OSX.VSearch.I (2 of those)

ARGH!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

The paths are all different and i can provide them if needed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.