Troubleshoot Need Help To Recover Dead External HardDisk

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Hello forum members. I need ur help. My company is in problem. A month ago one of our cust gave a external HDD for analysis its condition. So we took it and we told it would take some time as we were busy with our work. We could not complete the operation within the time so we returned the HD without any changes. After few days back the cust calls us back claiming that we have stolen his data from the Ext HD. As we didn't see any data present in that, he expects us to make the recovery . He has also given a Police complaint now, which our manager has to face the summons now. The cust is asking for the recovery and he even not negotiating for money. Our manager is speaking serious honestly with this matter. So if I/We can recover data from it, what are the steps to be taken? A company named Stellar Is charging 80,000 INR for the recovery. Please Help.

Reactions: nissimezra
I

illumination

To what extent was the analysis done on it? Was it able to be recognized on another system, was it making noise, like trying to spin, or even a clicking sound?

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
To what extent was the analysis done on it? Was it able to be recognized on another system, was it making noise, like trying to spin, or even a clicking sound?
Actually i do not know any of that matter. All i know that they are in trouble for this case. And u know if Stellar can recover data for them, then we also could do it na? What would be the secret ?

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would guess forensic-based tools to gather / recover data from hard disk drives.

Data theft would be a legal matter, and something that only your company would be able to handle.

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I would give SprinRite a look. It's 89$ for life time license. GRC has been around for a long time. Have you watched the video I attached??

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
You must be joking! He is so nerd !
What ever you think my fiend. I gave you the best advice I knew!!
Steve has been in the computer world from the very being and I'm not joking. I'm try to help you recover data so your not in a law suit. I'm done here. I suggest you do your research about Steve Gibson before calling him a nerd.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Steve+Gibson&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Good luck!!

Hi! @purshupro I have been around the block a couple of times. I'm no stranger to help forums. I have given you the best advise to recover data from a HD. What you do with that advise is up to you. You failed to answer @illumination and @Huracan We have no idea what you have tried to do to recuse the data.
Good luck! That's all I have to say on this matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Purshu_Pro
Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Well @donetao the product which u suggested, my manager/boss doesnt care of investing to that software which u told, but he is worried if its a failure and surely his mind would become unstable at that moment. And @Huracan was right about that point. But which would do that kind of work, i dont have knowledge of such things, guess he was right i shouldn't break my head, unless letting the company handle itself.

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
this is just my thought and i'm not sure what i would do

sorry this is no help but this sounds like a set up for a law suit to me

i think that even if you could of got the data off the Hard Drive they would of still claimed you "stolen his data"

what proof would you have that you did not take it

no matter if you did get his data or not this would of still happened

people are money hungry

i wish you luck

:)

James

Upvote 0

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
Here's the thing you should keep in mind. The more you play with a hard drive on the way out, the less chance you have to recover its data. If the situation is critical, it's probably no time to be learning on the job. First and foremost this sounds like a legal problem. Above all you don't want to trash what data might be on there until the legalities are settled. And as a matter of fact, the customer himself may have trashed the data if he tried the rescue, and now blames you.

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Capture48.JPG

Upvote 0

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Purshupro- All of the above messages have provided excellent remedies, but let me approach your problem from the legal standpoint (my mother is a lawyer):

Please note that the law in India is essentially the same (at its base) as British and American law. The person that filed the Police report is the Plaintiff, and in Court the Plaintiff has the Burden of Proof (semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit); the Court must assume that the Defendant (your Boss) did nothing wrong.

As an example, assume you are a mechanic and a customer brings in an auto for you to change the oil. You don’t get to it by the end of the day and the customer says to forget it and picks up the auto. A few days later the head gasket blows and you are accused of messing this up. In this case you as the defendant are to be taken at your word (that you didn’t touch the Auto) because you have the Assumption of Innocence. The Plaintiff (the nasty customer) must prove that you worked on the Auto and either intentionally or unintentionally damaged it, which is almost impossible to do.

So, in your specific case the only way the customer can get a judgment against your boss is by bringing the drive to someone else and getting a statement from them that timestamps were found on the drive proving some drive manipulation while it was in your care. If your company indeed did nothing to the drive, you have nothing to worry about.

Never feed a troll.

Upvote 0

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The Plantiff would have to bring it in to a data recovery (forensics) facility. Any file(s) that may have been trashed when the drive was in the care of the Defendant (Purshupro) will show up like a beacon. That would be the only way to claim (and prove) tampering.

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.