Status
Not open for further replies.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Hi friends i'm here to ask all of ur advices over my thaughts. Yes i am planning to start a small business over some products. I really dont want to spend some huge amounts over hosts and domains. Practically i dont know anything about starting a website( all those hosts and domains, what do they really mean?). So if u guys have any idea of doing and let me learn, i would surely agree ur services.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Are you looking for advice on what host to use, or stuff like what is a domain/dns and what is cpanel etc...

or are you looking to hire someond here to set everything up for you?

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Are you looking for advice on what host to use, or stuff like what is a domain/dns and what is cpanel etc...

or are you looking to hire someond here to set everything up for you?
May be u are right at one aspect. But secondary i cannot afford one to do my work. Indeed i will learn if any one is willing to teacj=h me for free ;)

You can use WordPress, it's free.
Wordpress ? I dont want that
.wordpress.com

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
What will your website be? How many visitors?

Premium quality unlimited hosting can be as little $10 a month or even less ;)

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I'm planning to build a online shopping website for Cosmetics, Computers and wireless technology equipments. I believe i would get some traffic as soon as i start. No i dont want to invest anything. I can see that @n.nvt has quoted that he has a free host and domain. what does that really mean for a person like me.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I'm planning to build a online shopping website for Cosmetics, Computers and wireless technology equipments. I believe i would get some traffic as soon as i start. No i dont want to invest anything. I can see that @n.nvt has quoted that he has a free host and domain. what does that really mean for a person like me.

Actually i started out with a free account using the Hostinger service, but it was transformed into a premium within what? 7 days or so
So i never used a free hosting for more then 7 days.

Free means limited functionality in many ways:

1 Limited email accounts (very minimal security and spam filters)
2 Minimal MSQL databases (with connection limit and hard coded PHP limits / cgi limits
3 Limited data and resources
4 Supported by ads

There is so much that i can say about most free hosts...
The list is endless, granted there are good ones to but they are rare.
The best thing you can do is just buy a 3 dollar a month hosting with a side builder on it and you can play around and learn to you hearts content.
Its really not that difficult.

Reactions: Purshu_Pro

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
There are free options available as far as platforms.Some of these have forums where you can get help with questions and problems.Since you are starting a business I am sure you want to avoid the standard forum type sites.Wordpress is highly customizable with a ton of plugins but to get the most out of it you will need to know some coding.Good news is you can learn most of this on the internet.
Squarespace is an awesome platform but it comes at a cost of about $192/year (about $8 USD/month) https://www.squarespace.com/#smallbusiness
Weebly is a good free one http://www.weebly.com/

I used GoDaddy for hosting it was maybe around $8-10 USD per month.I never had a problem using them and there support was excellent.
Here are some other free platforms http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/01/8-free-design-platforms-to-build-your-own-site/

If your serious about a website/business you are probably going to have to invest some money.There are options however that don't break your bank

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Atleast buy a good domain. Domains are not costly. You may use free hosting. Because in case your site is getting popular, changing to new domain is painful and you may loose a good amount of customers.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Agree with all of u, so how to begin this process? Where do i start with. Were do i get to understand the concepts of the web ? Can any one give me an perfect example for the terms host and domain? I have been hearing these terms from quiet a while, but still unable to catch the exact terms.

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Get a free .in domain and web hosting for a full year. (For Indians only. Other need not apply)
  • Go to http://www.indiagetonline.in/
  • Click on Yes,I want my free website.
  • Fill in your required details.
  • You are done.
  • Note : PAN number, address and phone number is required. Credit cards are not required.
Comes with a free coupon worth Rs. 2500 INR from Google AdWords to help promote your site.

Note: They do call to verify your details. So don't enter a wrong phone no. and PAN card number.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
You can buy a domain name www.example.com this is yours to keep.This is the first step you can take since this is what identifies you on the internet.You can also do this with a hosting service also.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Remember when you buy a domain, you can optionally purchase Whois Privacy, so your real address details do not get published.

upload_2014-7-15_18-29-36.png

Image Source & Information: https://www.123-reg.co.uk/domain-names/whois-privacy.shtml

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Get a free .in domain and web hosting for a full year. (For Indians only. Other need not apply)
  • Go to http://www.indiagetonline.in/
  • Click on Yes,I want my free website.
  • Fill in your required details.
  • You are done.
  • Note : PAN number, address and phone number is required. Credit cards are not required.
Comes with a free coupon worth Rs. 2500 INR from Google AdWords to help promote your site.

Note: They do call to verify your details. So don't enter a wrong phone no. and PAN card number.
Hi, thanks, u have been helping me a lot. So is this a safe step?

Reactions: Myna

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I can't recommend http://www.5quidhost.co.uk/ enough. Yes I am a customer but I also use other hosting services for specific features but will not recommend them as they are not right here. Nor will I provide you with an affiliate or referral link, I believe that would undermine what a good hosting company they are with pointless advertising.

For £1.75 per month you get an unlimited amount of bandwidth, email accounts, databases, websites and subdomains etc and 100MB disk space (which is low, but increases with the price) for example nearly 1GB space is just £5 per month, which is around $8.

They also have the softaculous installer which means you can install and set up an online shop in just a single click ;)

As for domain names, if you look around you can get some really good deals. I would also recommend GoDaddy, you can snap up a $1.99 domain name for a year, but as Huracan says, don't forget Whois Privacy unless you're registering your business office address.

Edit: The reviews: https://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/5quidhost.co.uk

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Hi, thanks, u have been helping me a lot. So is this a safe step?
Yep. Its a project undertaken by Google and hostgator.in. So its totally safe.
And as Huracan said, Whois Privacy is kind of a must have. So do enquire about it. The free plan doesn't come with Whois Privacy. So before signing up, do ask them about it.

The free plan comes with 1 email account as well. yourname@yourdomain.in

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I just can find you some with discount :D

Shared HostingCoupon Code: 8BKY7ZK7IV - 75% Off (One Time), STABLE40OFF -40% all time
Coupon Code: KPBWJIR887 - 50% Off (Recurring)

Enterprise HostingCoupon Code: C68BTAU5O9 - 50% Off (One Time)
Coupon Code: BO0RG6SK3H - 25% Off (Recurring)

Reseller HostingCoupon Code: 0X5QWYY8H6 - 65% Off (One Time)
Coupon Code: 87ZO3YME0M - 40% Off (Recurring)

VPS HostingCoupon Code: IM96I6FQRD - 50% Off (One Time)
Coupon Code: 16D0HRCWU5 - 25% Off (Recurring)

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
I'm not a genius at web hosting, but here are some basics:
Hosts: Hosts are websites host, or maintain, your website. Some hosts force you to create a website using its tools, while others simply let you upload a website (made from Microsoft Publisher and Wordpress org). They also create a domain for you.
Domain: A long time ago, website addresses were XX.XX.XXX.XX and were very hard to remember. Then came a genius who came up with simple words for website addresses, called domains, and a DNS service would translate the domain address into the classic XX.XX.XXX.XX addresses! The end, such a charming story :D

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
One more suggestion :oops:

If you are really serious about the online retailer shop, you will definitely need few technical guys( or atleast one good one) along with you.

See you don't know the difference between domain and host, and I am pretty sure you will find it difficult to bind those through name servers and then who will design the WebPage and Billing functionality?

And the amount you will be charged for host and domain is nothing when you compare the charge of the professional who will help you building the website. So think thoroughly and if possible make partnership with someone having knowledge about these things. He can work on the website part and you can work on supplying the materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.