Never Mind the NSA, What About Google and Facebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dima007

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
2015-06-01t112536z2lynxmpeb500u1rtroptp3bosnia-business.JPG

When I was first elected to the Senate, I was fortunate to be appointed to the Intelligence Committee. There, I saw up close the dedication and commitment of the men and women of our intelligence agencies.

The theme of Law Day this year at the National Security Agency (NSA)—“intelligence under the law”—fits well what the people at the agency do to keep this country safe. The NSA is, in former General Counsel Raj De’s words, “one of the most highly regulated entities in the world.”

So as we in Congress debate matters like Section 215 of the Patriot Act, it is important that we not lose sight of the important safeguards that are in place, and of the careful and honorable way in which intelligence analysts and operators comply with those restrictions.

Read more: http://www.newsweek.com/never-mind-nsa-what-about-google-and-facebook-342214

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I don't like Google but I still love YouTube (until they start block adblockers then I'm OUT). I hate Facebook so much that I don't have an account or even go onto it. I prefer Twitter since I can get technical support for some things like Xbox (who are extremely friendly). So let me summarize my feelings.

NSA: Hate - they don't do their job correctly and abuse their power. Well not all of them but most do. Their is always a serpent in the nest.

Google: Dislike, Distrust - I'm sure they made plenty money off of my data. But YouTube service is still great. I'll give them that.

Facebook: Kill it with fire.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
On topic, Google isn't as bad about data abuse as Facebook. They are no angels of course, but not quite as bad. Look, anytime you get a company that gets that big and that powerful, bad things are going to happen, usually in the name of money. Google is basically Ma Bell pre-1982 in spirit. Yes, there are other options, but let's face it, Google is beyond a choice at this point, we're all but completely conditioned to it and they know it, hence their hijinks. They know people won't really leave. Google users are the World of Warcraft users of email and search. Oh they'll groan and threaten and say "Bad Google, bad!". But they'll come back, if they even leave.

Facebook, well, when its own boss is well known to have said that people are idiots for giving him and his service their data, you know that's not a good sign. On the plus side, not only did it become popular with kids, but then parents, etc started using it. Rarely does a service popular with kids last many years longer when adults join in. Ditto if it stays only popular with kids. See MySpace and a few others for examples. Social media services rarely are there for the long haul anyway, something new is always popping up. Twitter isn't what it once was either. Instagram took over a lot of what Twitter was used for.

Off topic, Youtube actually is terrible until you use adblock filters for not just the ads, but for the commenting, etc. The only reason people still use it is because it's basically the best music service ever invented. Unless you are into Twitch, music, or really, really like the channel of a particular person or company, there's little reason to go there.

Reactions: frogboy and Surtur
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.