New antivirus (paid version), please advice

userone

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 26, 2015
Hi,
At the beginning of sorry for my english (translator) :)

Completing a new set to protect my computer. Firewall that will be installed is SpyShelter firewall. In addition, MBAM Premium and sandboxie. The only thing I have a problem is the antivirus. For several years I used KIS but after the recent articles on the web thank them for their cooperation. I care about safe Internet browsing, banking and online fps games.
System windows 7 pro 64bit, my config is the i7 4930k, 16GB ram, 120gb ssd system drive. I Care that the program was as light and above all effective. I know that security also depends on our thinking (brain.exe i always have enabled) :)

Any suggestions?
THX

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21043

Hello @userone,

For your Antivirus product, I recommend you use ESET NOD32. Should you wish to have more protection features and have your AV and Firewall both in one product, then I certainly recommend ESET Smart Security (over using ESET NOD32 and then SpyShelter as your Firewall).

Based on my experience and testing, ESET has proven to show very low system impact, allowing you to get down to your everyday tasks without the feeling of a "slow" system. The web blocker is great, the PUP/PUA detection is great and they have good signatures in my opinion for detecting zero-day malware.

Should you chose ESET, I recommend configuring the HIPS on the product since I do not believe it is best at it's default and will not "provide good HIPS protection" if not configured. However, regardless of this, you can install and forget and ESET will still continue to happily protect you in the background.

Of course no vendor is perfect, however ESET would be a great choice and definitely in my top 3 recommendations list.

Another recommendation of mine would be Emsisoft Anti-Malware (I would rather the Internet Security over having SpyShelter installed). Emsisoft AM/IS is dual-engine based, meaning it has 2 engines. It uses their own engine (A squared), and the BitDefender engine. You can differentiate between which engine detected what through the detection name. For example, at the end of each detection there should be a (A) or a (B). If it's (A) then it's their engine, and if it's (B) then it's the Bitdefender engine. ('Trojan.Generic (B)' would represent a detection from the BitDefender engine as an example, due to the '(B)' at te end).

In my opinion Emsisoft have one of the best Behaviour Blockers/HIPS in the market, and it should protect you well. A disadvantage however, is unlike my experience with ESET NOD32/SS, I have noticed a system impact when using Emsisoft products. The impact is not a "major" thing, however it was there for me and I felt it. That's not to say Emsisoft is a bad product - there are many customers who experience no issues with Emsisoft products.

I think the Emsisoft BB/HIPS is better than ESET HIPS, however I think that the ESET detection overall with signatures/heuristics is better than Emsisoft's detection through signatures.

Either one of those products you will be very well protected. I trust both those companies. Emsisoft especially; they have one of the best Privacy Policies you can find with an AV vendor.

ESET: http://www.eset.com/
Emsisoft: http://www.emsisoft.com/

Sandboxie would be a great addition to your security configuration. Use this to test out new programs before running them on your system; you can even sandbox your browser. Just be aware that theft can still occur in the Sandbox.

If you are looking for a free Antivirus product, then I recommend you Avast Free: https://www.avast.com/en-gb/index

--
As a suggestion, you may be interested in using Malwarebytes as an on-demand scanner as opposed to with Real-Time protection. This means you scan with Malwarebytes (you could even have it scheduled) but then have your main AV/IS product for your Real-Time protection. This should also keep your system working faster whilst having the power of both products at hand on a regular basis. Of course, there shouldn't be conflict issues since Malwarebytes was designed to work alongside other products, therefore should you wish to continue using Malwarebytes Pro with Real-Time protection alongside another AV/IS product with Real-Time protection enabled, there should not be an issue; of course if you do run into conflicts one day, you could attempt to fix the issue through whitelisting both products through the settings menu.

Whether you do decide to use Malwarebytes on-demand or real-time protection alongside your AV/IS product, I recommend you getting a few more scanners (so on-demand only). If you decide to use ESET, you can add Emsisoft Emergency Kit as an on-demand scanner. I also recommend HitmanPro. I have not recommended Zemana Anti-Malware as an on-demand scanner since you already have Malwarebytes.

No product is full proof so it's down to you just as much as the product (like you said yourself, 'it depends on our thinking (brain.exe i always have enabled)').

Good luck.
Cheers. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Since you're a avid gamer, use a single effective security suite to have stutter free gaming such as Kaspersky Total Security or Internet Security, Eset Smart security. You can protect yourself by installing WOT addon. Install MBAM as a on-demand scanner.
As kram7750 said brain.exe program plays an very important role. Clicking unknown links or responding to spam mails will infect you with a malware most of the time.

Rogue987

Level 3
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
I suggest that you buy Kaspersky, It offers a great amount of protection and it would run perfect on your system!

Nirv5668

Level 2
Verified
Mar 21, 2015
Just a note on MBAM, as has already been mentioned, consider if the real-time protection might be slowing down computer. My computer became very slow when running MBAM pro trial, constant disk usage close to 99%, used more ram than my entire security suite (Comodo internet security)- I actually turned it off before end of trial. I'm sure it really depends on the machine and set-up, but since you care about it being light, don't assume MBAM is fine just b/c it is meant to be run alongside main AV.

One nice thing about Avast, although I am not sure it is in the free AV only version, is that it has an isolated environment for banking, etc. called SafeZone. I don't know if Avast would be as light as Eset though. Also, the Avast versions that have SafeZone also have a firewall, which might conflict with SpyShelter firewall. You could always go with SpyShelter premium (version without firewall), if there are other suites with firewalls you like.

userone

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 26, 2015
@Vasudev
@Rogue987

As I wrote above, I used KIS for a few years but after these articles have recently appeared in the internet I decided to thank him for cooperate. I do not know whether this is true or not, but I prefer to blow a cold :).

For SpyShelter fw have a lifetime license, so I do not need security suite like (IS / TS etc) :)

D

Deleted member 21043

For SpyShelter fw have a lifetime license, so I do not need security suite like (IS / TS etc) :)
Bear in mind that Internet Security suites may offer additional security features as well as the Firewall. So just because it's Internet Security version doesn't mean all you will get additionally is a firewall.

But considering you have a lifetime license of SpyShelter, it's understandable you'd want to make use of it.

Reactions: gamavallen
D

Deleted member 21043

@kram7750
you said that you have three programs that recommend: eset, emsi and the third is?
My third would be Kaspersky, however I did not mention it since you already mentioned it in your original thread and I thought I'd shed some light on other options available, since I got the impression you were looking for an alternative.

Kaspersky would be my third recommendation. I would then rate ESET and Emsisoft both first or second, I do not know which one is better because I happen to like both products and I would recommend anyone to use either one as I know it's good at protecting the user and they are very ethical companies (as is Kaspersky). Without that being said, there is and will never be a "best Antivirus", just my personal preference would be ESET or Emsisoft over Kapsersky. So when I said "I do not know which one is better" regarding ESET and Emsisoft, I meant I do not know which one I prefer out of the two.

When I mention bugs, I would say ESET is the least buggy product out of the 3 (opinion). I cannot comment on Emsisoft or Kaspersky; I have never experienced bugs with ESET. However, others out there would have at some point. Emsisoft Internet Security may give you some conflict issues with VirtualBox with a bridged network, and Kaspersky has their own issues which is a separate story.

Of course there are other great products over ESET, Emsisoft and Kaspersky. However those 3 are in my top 3 recommendations, currently.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Any paid version should do, highly follow the comprehensive post as mentioned.

There are some types of suites/AV for your user preferences,

1) Install and forget: Most AV products can work well on that which default settings is already effective like Norton.

2) Online Cloud type- Trend Micro is known to incorporate Cloud for protection which should make your computer fine with that resources.

3) Multi engine - Gdata for the paid version and mentioned Emsisoft from bitdefender engine besides on their in-house made.

Reactions: frogboy

userone

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 26, 2015
At the moment, I'm closer to the Emsisoft AM because I need a license for two computers and EAM costs 30€ and nod32 costs 52€.
PS.I also thought about Avira Antivirus Pro

H

hjlbx

I also thought about Avira Antivirus Pro

Avira... No ! Definitely not.

For gaming...

Emsisoft Internet Security - or - ESET Smart Security.

For online banking you want to use a secured, remote sandboxed web-hosted browser such as Quarri MyPOQ. Quarri MyPOQ is a free service.

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
At the moment, I'm closer to the Emsisoft AM because I need a license for two computers and EAM costs 30€ and nod32 costs 52€.
PS.I also thought about Avira Antivirus Pro
best way is to test the avs some days and feel how light they are. avira is pretty light too,one of the lightes with exellent protection. just test abit and choose what is the lightest on your! system.

userone

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 26, 2015
the most important for me is the safety and effectiveness of the AV, and to second place
low system impact

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
the most important for me is the safety and effectiveness of the AV, and to second place
low system impact
Kaspersky with default deny settings and comodo is with default deny settings. best at the moment u can get for effectiveness.

userone

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 26, 2015
@Janl92l

As I wrote above, I used KIS for a few years but after these articles have recently appeared in the internet I decided to thank him for cooperate. I do not know whether this is true or not, but I prefer to blow a cold :). I do not need security suite like is/ts etc because I already have a firewall SpyShelter FW:)

Last edited:
R

Rod McCarthy

DO THIS:

I built my current system. I use it for video work and gaming. My system is pretty nice.

BUT I have found that what makes some people scream about XY or Z IS suite slowing down there system, doesn't affect my computer, and others who claim XY, and Z is so fast, make my PC crawl.

So it is really true you have to try them out on your system.

Here is how I do it. Install Win 7, install all the software you need, or want. Install your games. Tweak the settings the way you like, but DO NOT install any security suites.

Now don't install acronis, I put the acronis boot iso onto a bootable USB with Flashboot. Now boot up with the USB (3.0 is best).

Now make an image of your C: (mine is 34 gigs) save it to another drive (like D:)...

NOW choose any IS suite or antivirus / firewall combination you desire install it and try it out.

When you want to try another software package restore your image from D: to C: (I restore and it takes about 3 minutes).

Now try another IS suite of your choice...

userone

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 26, 2015
And Emsisoft am also scans the content of websites while they are loading the same as Kaspersky?

And another thing, I noticed that here in the forum recommended eset but ... I've heard a few times that eset already overslept a few years and their products are no longer as innovative as competitors

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.