Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Appropriately named HTTP Shaming IDs apps and Web services operating without encryption.
The amount of personal data traveling to and from the Internet has exploded, yet many applications and services continue to put user information at risk by not encrypting data sent over wireless networks. Software engineer Tony Webster has a classic solution—shame.

Webster decided to see if a little public humiliation could convince companies to better secure their customers' information. On Saturday, the consultant created a website, HTTP Shaming, and began posting cases of insecure communications, calling out businesses that send their customers' personal information to the Internet without encrypting it first.

One high-profile example includes well-liked travel-information firm TripIt. TripIt allows users to bring together information on their tickets, flight times, and itinerary and then sync it with other devices and share the information with friends and co-workers. Information shared with calendar applications, however, is not encrypted, Webster says, leaving it open to eavesdropping on public networks. Among the details that could be plucked from the air by anyone on the same wireless network: a user's full name, phone number, e-mail address, the last four digits of a credit card number, and emergency contact information. An attacker could even change or cancel the victim's flight, he says.

So far, TripIt and 18 other applications and services have made the shaming list, many submitted by other people fed up with the security missteps of companies, Webster says.

"I've kind of been overwhelmed in a sad but also in a good way with the number of submissions," he says. "Some of them are fairly benign, but I've gotten some that are quite concerning to me, especially those that relate to financial details."

Further Reading

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
"We’re working diligently to move our calendar feeds to HTTPS while minimizing disruption for our users," a spokesperson said. "We take customer feedback very seriously and appreciate our users taking the time to reach out."

I'm imagining Jack Nicholson, as the Joker, saying "Wait 'till they get a load of me!!".:cool:

Does anyone know whether it's all that difficult, or maybe costly, to deploy the "Secure Socket Layer" needed for HTTPS??:rolleyes:

Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
"We’re working diligently to move our calendar feeds to HTTPS while minimizing disruption for our users," a spokesperson said. "We take customer feedback very seriously and appreciate our users taking the time to reach out."

I'm imagining Jack Nicholson, as the Joker, saying "Wait 'till they get a load of me!!".:cool:

Does anyone know whether it's all that difficult, or maybe costly, to deploy the "Secure Socket Layer" needed for HTTPS??:rolleyes:
Here's a good explanation!:):)
An older article but still relevant!

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
'Does anyone know whether it's all that difficult, or maybe costly, to deploy the "Secure Socket Layer" needed for HTTPS??:rolleyes:'

In my IE8 old browser, I have SSl 3 and TLS (and they are notched) under Tools/IE Options/Advanced ..

- hmm, your question is maybe for the websites, not Web users, so sorry

Last edited:

avast! Protection

Level 2
Verified
Jun 27, 2014
@Cats-4_Owners-2, no it's not that hard nor expensive. :)

It mostly depends on the server which you'd like to deploy the certificate to and the ordering steps of certificate's issuer.

You can get a free 1 year certificate from StartSSL which is enough for simple websites with contact forms. If you need a certificate for e-commerce website or a forum, you need to purchase one though. Luckily, there are cost-effective certificates too (of course if you do not need a wildcard certificate /which covers your domain + subdomains/ or with extended validation /the ones which turn your browser's address bar green/). You can buy one from NameCheap. A "Comodo PositiveSSL" worth of $10 should be enough.

If you'd like to know how to deploy this certificate, please read this extremely detailed guide - https://knowledge.rapidssl.com/support/ssl-certificate-support/index?page=content&id=SO6506

In addition, Google is rewarding secured websites, so if you want to have good SEO results, a SSL certificate is a must.

Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.