Computer specs
https://malwaretips.com/threads/just-my-desktop-specs.63421/

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Security Config update:
Avira Free with Web Protection (registry tweak)
Malwarebytes Antiexploit Premium
Windows Firewall at defaults
Browser: Chrome, with ublock & https everywhere addons, click to play setting enabled, delete cookies on exit
Norton ConnectSafe (Norton DNS)

Other related settings, configs:
UAC at maximum, windows smartscreen enabled, system always updated.
Malwarebytes free installed for scans every 2 weeks
Sumatra PDF.

Cleaners/optimizers used:
Windows Cleanup Tool, Ccleaner, and Windows Defrag tool.

I try to keep a lightweight system that's performing well while having satisfactory security.
I avoid using any other third party maintenance tools except from the above as they do more harm than good provided that I don't get infected and I know how to keep my systems fit condition.
Very good update ;)

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I am thinking of simplifying my security further and keeping only MBAE (with Windows 8.1 Defender) or only Avira without MBAE.
What's best in terms of protection for a cautious user like me that cares most about threats coming in without my own explicit actions like opening/running a downloaded suspicious file myself).
I believe WD + MBAE is better for that but I want your opinions :)

Update: I decided to remove MBAE as it may cause problems in the future, and I don't want any program to iunterrupt my Computer's smooth functioning.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Windows Defender can really protect you around its baseline which usually estimated of 60 to 70 percent; now if you want to cover everything then go to Avira but other than that many options to consider. (Try multi engine part of Qihoo)

Reactions: Nikos751

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Kaspersky just replaced several tools/programs, resulting in a simpler setup. Let's see how it goes that way. Currently evaluating KIS, if all is ok, I will buy a key. My principles are still reliability-protection-performance combined. Any useful suggestions on my setup are always welcome.

Reactions: frogboy and Ink

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Kaspersky just replaced several tools/programs, resulting in a simpler setup. Let's see how it goes that way. Currently evaluating KIS, if all is ok, I will buy a key. My principles are still reliability-protection-performance combined. Any useful suggestions on my setup are always welcome.
uncheck Trust digitally signed..., you are good to go

also change trust group for applications started... to highly restricted

kis2017_12684_0313-321561.png

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
uncheck Trust digitally signed..., you are good to go

also change trust group for applications started... to highly restricted

kis2017_12684_0313-321561.png
Thanks.
This second one you say, can't it brake functions of legitimate programs, run once proccesses etc?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks.
This second one you say, can't it brake functions of legitimate programs, run once proccesses etc?
it just restricts all applications which start before KIS starts (on boot) and then all of them will be released to their previous mode. Don't worry, it won't break anything
if you experience some problems with apps on boot, you can set back to auto
:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.