Status
Not open for further replies.

Information

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 13, 2014
Alright so.

As part of a service my program offers at school, I'm often called to install free Antiviruses on computers/laptops after cleaning them, because the current product is either expired, outdated or just bad overall (McAfee, AVG, Norton, etc). So when it happens, I usually install the free version of avast! as it's a pretty nice free Antivirus : good detection ratio, pretty simple UI, doesn't consume a lot of ressources, isn't bloated, etc.

Lately, I've seen a lot of good test results posted by the users of Qihoo's 360 Internet Security in the Malware Hub section, and I find the UI pretty simple, simply enough for a normal user to use without any difficulties.

Hence I'm coming to wonder if I should stop installing avast! on these computers/laptops that comes in my hands, and start installing 360 IS instead. However, I have no idea of what is it's real detection ratio (no benchmarks on AV-Comparatives) and so I cannot really compare it's resources usage against avast!.

If you were in my position, would you keep on installing avast! Free or move to IS 360 ? Yes or no, and most importantly, why.

Thank you for your time.

I never mentionned 360 TS, only 360 IS. The TS version doesn't interest me, nor the needs of the users whose computers/laptops I fix.

Will precise it in the OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrojanSmart

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
If you decide to install 360, I would recommend 360 IS though 360 TS is great as as well.
360 TS is not completely ironed out yet but its doing fine.

Information

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 13, 2014
If you decide to install 360, I would recommend 360 IS though 360 TS is great as as well.
360 TS is not completely ironed out yet but its doing fine.

I never mentionned 360 TS, only 360 IS. The TS version doesn't interest me, nor the needs of the users whose computers/laptops I fix.

Will precise it in the OP.

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
1) What OS are you using?
  • XP = Avast
  • Vista, 7,8 = 360IS

2) System Resources:
  • Avast = 15 - 50 MB RAM
  • 360 = 30 - 50 MB RAM
Overall Performance (system start up, copy/paste,multitasking,open/close programs) = 360IS

3) Detection Rate = 360IS

4) Web Protection = Avast

5) Behavior Blocker = 360IS (Avast is also good IF you tweak the settings, on the other hand by default 360 has registry,file,keylogger,webcam etc...protection)

6) Scanning Speed = 360IS (one of the fastest scanner on the planet so far)

7) Easy of use : Both (but with 360IS you don't need to go so deep to tweak the settings)

AND MOST IMPORTANT:
360IS is detecting rapidly as the file created, Avast is detecting mostly on user execution of the file.

Final Conclusion: both programs are very good and both will serve you well but if it is for a winner then
WINNER = 360 INTERNET SECURITY

Information

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 13, 2014
  • XP = Avast
  • Vista, 7,8 = 360IS

2) System Resources:
  • Avast = 15 - 50 MB RAM
  • 360 = 30 - 50 MB RAM
Overall Performance (system start up, copy/paste,multitasking,open/close programs) = 360IS

5) Behavior Blocker = 360IS (Avast is also good IF you tweak the settings, on the other hand by default 360 has registry,file,keylogger,webcam etc...protection)

7) Easy of use : Both (but with 360IS you don't need to go so deep to tweak the settings)

AND MOST IMPORTANT:
360IS is detecting rapidly as the file created, Avast is detecting mostly on user execution of the file.

Final Conclusion: both programs are very good and both will serve you well but if it is for a winner then

This is the kind of opinion/review I was looking for, thank you Mike.
Kudos to you.

Reactions: MikeV

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
  • XP = Avast
  • Vista, 7,8 = 360IS

2) System Resources:
  • Avast = 15 - 50 MB RAM
  • 360 = 30 - 50 MB RAM

AND MOST IMPORTANT:

Very good
+1 ;)

Reactions: MikeV

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Qihoo still requires user to take proper decision while installing some software.
So if people in school will be installing software's by themselves then you cannot recommend Qihoo to them. In this case use avast

If you will be installing all the softwares and people in school will be just using them then you can go for Qihoo.

Reactions: Av Gurus

Information

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 13, 2014
Qihoo still requires user to take proper decision while installing some software.
So if people in school will be installing software's by themselves then you cannot recommend Qihoo to them. In this case use avast

If you will be installing all the softwares and people in school will be just using them then you can go for Qihoo.

That's what I basically do.
I updated Adobe Reader, Flash Player, AIR, Java, etc. as well as installing WinRAR and other utilities before handing them back their computer/laptop.

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
In public schools you need software that reverts everything back to a previous state upon reboot, period.
They will always do something stupid unless you want to keep wasting your time to keep repairing those computers.

Reactions: Av Gurus

Information

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 13, 2014
In public schools you need software that reverts everything back to a previous state upon reboot, period.
They will always do something stupid unless you want to keep wasting your time to keep repairing those computers.

I'm not handling the SCHOOL's computers, but the students' personal computers and laptops they bring to our service. Hence why I don't need this kind of software.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
AND MOST IMPORTANT:

That seems to be on a machine to machine basis. on MY machine 360 wont scan files when they are created or modified ONLY when they are executed, It should also be noted that this Bug is not special to my machine, scanning through the google+ account for 360 i have noticed other users complaining about this as well.

As for avast! once again on MY machine it scans files when they are created, modified, opened, or executed (with some tweaking of course)

foregoing everything else with usage ect.

I would nominate avast! for sheer lack of bugs

I would also like to note that these bugs occur on my machine with 360IS as well so switching products does not remedy them.

I would also like to note again I am a fan of both programs just I have felt for quite awhile that 360 needs to sit down and iron out all these issues i have reported time...and time...and time again.....starting to feel like some other company......coughComodocough

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
Have you tried 360IS yet? I seem to see that you have not in the first post....(correct me if I am wrong..thanks) From the reviews it would be a better choice in favor of 360 but as the gurus have (always) suggested in this forum, try it first so you'll get a feel of 360 and it would give you a better perspective against Avast. What I like in 360 is the detection. But all AV's miss something sometime. Might be a good thing to install 360 on one or two machine and let the user share some thoughts about it. Just my two cents :)

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
That seems to be on a machine to machine basis. on MY machine 360 wont scan files when they are created or modified ONLY when they are executed, It should also be noted that this Bug is not special to my machine, scanning through the google+ account for 360 i have noticed other users complaining about this as well.

As for avast! once again on MY machine it scans files when they are created, modified, opened, or executed (with some tweaking of course)

foregoing everything else with usage ect.

I would nominate avast! for sheer lack of bugs

I would also like to note that these bugs occur on my machine with 360IS as well so switching products does not remedy them.

I would also like to note again I am a fan of both programs just I have felt for quite awhile that 360 needs to sit down and iron out all these issues i have reported time...and time...and time again.....starting to feel like some other company......coughComodocough

Weird.......in my machine everytime i download something 360IS pop ups immediately and scan the file on the cloud and in most cases it deletes the file BEFORE i execute it. On the other hand Avast let the file downloaded on the desktop waiting for me to execute so hardened mode (IF enabled) will block the file. Without Hardened mode the deepscreen pops up and of course let the malware pass royaly and infect the machine.....so i still insist on my choice of 360IS (NOT TOTAL SECURITY) over Avast
Thank you

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
You could install 360IS, but the 'Registry' protection feature, could be troublesome when you're installing on school computers, as you'll have to face some pop-ups whether or not to allow a program. Hence it's a feature you could consider to disable when installing on public computers for students.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.