App Review Norton Internet Security 2014(bunyip783)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Im curious.

Why in this test have you used more files in the detection rate test than other tests.?

Why have you used different files for different security programs.?

For any of your tests to have any form of validity you MUST use the same set of files for every security program.

for example you used approximately 190 files for the webroot test and yet you have used over 200 files for this norton test.

Why is there a discrepency.?

Most people also would not turn off their antivirus in a real world usage scenario.

How do we the you-tube viewers know for certain that the files you used were indeed malicious.?

Im sorry but i dont find these home grown tests remotely credible .

In all the you-tube tests ive seen there has always been a wide variation in the files used and the sources of these files are never disclosed so proof of actual malicious intent is from evident.

I say the end detection rate test is futile as nobody is stupid enough to turn off their antivirus.

Have a good day.!

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
Amiga500 said:
Im curious.

Why in this test have you used more files in the detection rate test than other tests.?

Why have you used different files for different security programs.?

For any of your tests to have any form of validity you MUST use the same set of files for every security program.

for example you used approximately 190 files for the webroot test and yet you have used over 200 files for this norton test.

Why is there a discrepency.?

Most people also would not turn off their antivirus in a real world usage scenario.

How do we the you-tube viewers know for certain that the files you used were indeed malicious.?

Im sorry but i dont find these home grown tests remotely credible .

In all the you-tube tests ive seen there has always been a wide variation in the files used and the sources of these files are never disclosed so proof of actual malicious intent is from evident.

I say the end detection rate test is futile as nobody is stupid enough to turn off their antivirus.

Have a good day.!
Yes, because I'm going to use exactly the same samples for everyone of my tests. That makes sense. If I were to fairly test the products against the samples I'd have to test them all on the same day with the same samples. Otherwise these samples would be way too old to be practical. You can believe what you want but the fact remains most of these files are malicious. Even if a small bunch were false positives most of them are still malicious. Testing a random bunch of samples just tests how it goes in general not compared to other products.

The location of these files are not disclosed for safety reasons. If I were to turn the real time protection on how would I accurately test the detection rates then? It's not like I'm running the files with the guard off so it's not like I'm being unfair. You can take from them what you want :).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.