Not open for further replies.

Dima007

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
Source: Anti-virus4U.com Blog: Norton Security Products Launch Updates

Symantec will launch new version (Rehash) of Norton Security (Cloud-Based Antivirus) on October 5
“We at Norton are constantly striving to provide the most comprehensive and responsive set of products for our customers. To that end, we are proud to announce a revitalization of our main Norton product line. See below for our current products and what their new names in English speaking markets will be after this launch.”

• Norton Security Standard (formerly Norton Security for 1 Device)
• Norton Security Deluxe (formerly Norton Security)
• Norton Security Premium (formerly Norton Security with Backup)

*The projected launch dates are October 5th in the US, Canada, all Latin American countries. October 19th in Australia/New Zealand, and rest of the globe.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
:/ they focus too much on cloud, i wonder if they want to be the next qihoo... where are signatures improvements?... is not a good idea to use these products in latin american countries.

Reactions: Dima007

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
:/ they focus too much on cloud, i wonder if they want to be the next qihoo... where are signatures improvements?... is not a good idea to use these products in latin american countries.

Why is not good to use in Latin American countries?

L

LabZero

Symantec is making the move to cloud computing technologies and thanks to shared power, could greatly enhance its analysis capacity.

Although the signatures database is implemented in cloud, in my opinion does not affect to offline security.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I think they all can improve because none are perfect yet. ;)

And never will be in my opinion (perfect that is). I kind of want to go deeply into why I think Norton is doing great and why signatures are a relic of the past but I have too many times already on other threads. lol

1 signature with heuristics (which Norton does have and they do work very well) can detect several files. Hundreds. Thousands. Millions even. As long as that signature has that piece of malicious code and so does that file. Norton is stepping away from signatures so them not having the best detection on file scans is on purpose. Run malware, it will most likely be caught by Norton (sonar, firewall, and other features are pretty responsive for zero days, etc). It's well above average in real world protection. Don't put faith in file scan detection... it's VERY misleading. Even Kaspersky's file detection on scan took a dip but it destroys malware on execution.

Respect to Norton, Kaspersky, and other AV's that continue to evolve with relevant protection.

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014

Why use signature? Most, if not all AVs are moving away from signatures because it is practically impossible to keep up with the amount of new malware, even with generic signatures which are defeated trivially. It is also more resource efficient, their cloud analysis capabilities are far greater than anything they can squeeze onto a home PC.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Why use signature?
even in today cyberspace signatures represent the first layer of security of any suite, despite the fact that the cloud integration is taking place, also please note that access to the cloud is not always possible then image that you are a small company for some reason your ISP or connection drops suddenty then... you would be unprotected while you are back.

you are wrong if you say that cloud is better than any local engine, what i mean is that a BB blocker (for example) is far better than making a look up to the cloud, why? is much better to have a file and see it behaviour in real time than to make a query with a hash to the cloud.

and lastly you as an user, be honest; do you keep always online? most likely no; then what would happen if by mistake you insert a pendrive that is infected and is not in signatures...?? then you will tell me. If you ask me cloud for me is just a support of anything else (could be signatures, BB, HIPs.. etc) we are not ready for totally cloud dependant AVs

Reactions: LabZero and Anupam
L

LabZero

Cloud antivirus performs most of its processing on the Internet rather than on your computer's hard drive.

An antivirus Coud based consists of two components that work together:

-a Thin-Client (I.e. a "lightweight")

-one or more Web services, hosted by servers of the Antivirus manufacturer
The client is a small program running on the local computer that scans your system for malware.

The Web service handles most of the work, then your computer does not need to process and store large amounts of information about malware. At regular intervals, the client will scan the computer for malware in Web service database.

Pros and cons of Cloud

We will always have access to the latest malware definitions every few minutes since their release. There will be no need to download automatic updates to ensure protection against the latest threats.
The client portion of a Cloud antivirus is much lighter than the standard antivirus, and requires less system resources.

But what are the drawbacks?

As you can imagine this system is almost entirely dependent on internet access if also many antivirus have a local database.

Performance gain in terms of CPU, Ram and Hard Disk space could mean losing connection performance. Yes, because it may take regular connections with servers in the Cloud, and the upload of suspicious files to scan.

As I said, I think the cloud technology will be increasingly implemented, yes, but surely with a local database plus other technologies, BB, HIPS, Sonar, deep guard, White List, etc. will ensure a solid offline security.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: frogboy

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Well I am not connected to Internet all the times and I need 80% work to be done offline and only for unknown items ( Like Emsisoft) it should check in Cloud.

I hate full cloud operations. May be good for a system 24 hours connected to internet with unlimited bandwidth. But we Indians are not so lucky.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
H42Jh39.png
YOSAIBj.png

Seems that this update is just a price/marketing thing, the product will remain the same this year. (now with Windows 10 compatibility)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.