App Review Norton Security Suite BETA Test (MalwareDoctor)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
many people fails to understand that EVERY antiviruses are designed to backup and work WITH Windows own security mechanisms not replace them (unless purposely designed for), if AVs are supposed to replace a security mechanism as UAC; they will override it or disable it by default, as they do with Windows Firewall/Defender.

if you let a malware pass UAC or Smartscreen by clicking "yes" knowing the file is unknown, you just undo the whole purpose an AV was made for... so basically it is a user fault and responsibility not the AV.

Remember : AV are made to backup not replace YOU.
"don't blame the police if you are a hot chick wandering in sexy bikini in a dangerous and infamous neighborhood and get raped."

Sure, the analogy is quite hard but you get the idea.

Just find a malware that bypass all Windows mechanisms without alerting the user by any way , then let see if the installed AV (properly configured) catch it, if No , then you have my full support to say "it failed"

But if you were alerted, allowed it , get infected and still complain against your AV, then i will say :

"It is YOUR fault , you damn fool , go get some skills and learn your damn place before opening your god damn mouth !"

(this sentence above applies and was applied by me to some harsh users, i met; no one focused here :D )

thanks

Thank you for making my point.
Norton is full spectrum solution so its made to interact with windows so it has multiple sources to utilize in order to keep malware down.
While some others are just single client packages.

Well its all in the details.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Hmm funny... your own words contradict your previous words in your previous posts.. great work Einstein great work.
If you keep this up then we eventually end up talking about wakkydudda antivirus. lol.
You might wanna check back your story before you make a comment.
But never mind... you seem to forget still that Norton does not rely on just a simple blacklist principal.
ahh just leave it... i am not going to spend any more time with you here.

I guess why don't u check your story , i'm not interested. If you are happy with Norton be happy, don't make others happy.
Anyways, i don't want to be rude in this forum, if i'm rude from my behavior then i'm sorry for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
many people fails to understand that EVERY antiviruses are designed to backup and work WITH Windows own security mechanisms not replace them (unless purposely designed for), if AVs are supposed to replace a security mechanism as UAC; they will override it or disable it by default, as they do with Windows Firewall/Defender.

if you let a malware pass UAC or Smartscreen by clicking "yes" knowing the file is unknown, you just defeated the whole purpose an AV was made for... so basically it is a user fault and responsibility not the AV.

Remember : AV are made to backup (not replace) YOU.
"don't blame the police if you are a hot chick wandering in sexy bikini in a dangerous and infamous neighborhood and get raped."

Sure, the analogy is quite hard but you get the idea.

Just find a malware that bypass all Windows mechanisms without alerting the user by any way , then let see if the installed AV (properly configured) catch it, if No , then you have my full support to say "it failed"

But if you were alerted, allowed it , get infected and still complain against your AV, then i will say :

"It is YOUR fault , you damn fool , go get some skills and learn your damn place before opening your god damn mouth !"

(this sentence above applies and was applied by me to some harsh users, i met; no one focused here :D )

thanks
Nope, since my test was only for checking norton url filter, i want it to completely block the page giving me a warn & not want it to download in my PC like qihoo where it's download protection blocks threat & acts as web protection.and some malwares don't need UAC administrator privileges so UAC will not work there. and many times the unknown file is not actually a virus related stuff, it can be a false positive . I didn't test it UAC protection, nor browser malware & phising protection, i tested it in window 7 so no smartscreen :D

D

Deleted member 178

Nope, since my test was only for checking norton url filter, i want it to completely block the page giving me a warn & not want it to download in my PC like qihoo where it's download protection blocks threat & acts as web protection

did you read my post above, i said NIS doesn't have a visible Web Filter component like others, which is useless by the way because most web filters are based on URLs/DNS lists reported by users not by analyzing the page code (very few does it, and by doing so will slow your browsing) but Norton and other vendors have modules that does filtering to a certain extend, not saying Norton DNS is also there (in Norton case).

Reactions: Nico@FMA

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
did you read my post above, i said NIS doesn't have a visible Web Filter component like others, which is useless by the way because most web filters are based on URLs/DNS lists reported by users not by analyzing the page code (very few does it, and by doing so will slow your browsing) but Norton and other vendors have modules that does filtering to a certain extend, not saying Norton DNS is also there (in Norton case).

Exactly.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
that is your rightful choice and i respect it, but avoid to say others don't do the job because they doesn't do the way you are used.

i REALLY think the debate is over, for my part i will not reply here anymore, as i said all what i have to say.

thanks
First of all i didn't telling others to ditch norton AV, if they happy then they can. If u read my first post in this thread, i said it need more work which was regarding it's web protection which was my opinion. Now if someone try to poke me & claim i don't know how norton works & try to teach me about how security product works in big paragraph lectures then i'll poke back in same way. I already know how norton works, i read it already in other forums. what was my actual point that it's good if they make a light & good web blocking who acts fast rather then using different module & let executable to download or make their web protection more effective & less confusing about trust level graphic which can lead to a false sense of security, MalwareDoctor already stated that, since not every person in this world is computer savy they will ge confuse specially who is new to AV.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
In my opinion Norton download insight is an amazing piece of technology, usually its need human error to be bypassed...

I am now on my smartphone, I will later share my reasons to why I think Norton architecture is great and it is somehow underrated.

stephentony

Level 1
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
n.nvt, sometimes in life, no matter how clear, succinct, and to the point you are in a discussion, you can find yourself in complete dismay when the other person just does not hear what you have said the way it came out of your mouth. It happens all the time and is a huge reason so many marriages go belly up.:confused: I understand your points clearly and so do many others here. Some people cannot deal with more abstract ideas and are much more literal minded. You can say what you have said a million times and yet there will be people who hear it quite differently than what you intended. I know your level of knowledge based on many posts related to Norton. The same as I've grown to rely on Umbra Polaris and his knowledge of Webroot, Emsisoft, Eset, etc. Anyway, your knowledge and ability to clearly explain something complex is much appreciated!

Reactions: Deleted member 178

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.