NSG001's Configuration

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Earth said:
I really don't care about AV protection anymore.

My loss if I get infected, because it will really affect how I function in real life. I might become brain-dead, but during the Zombie Apocalypse, it's not a problem.

Just like other accidents.

I get what you're saying :cool:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well using without AV generally a knowledge is needed.

An example is like an AV that could be the book, once mastered and reviewed your knowledge would be the first line of defense.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Tested new combo these past few days and decided to stick for a while.
avast! 7 free alongside Privatefirewall 7.0.28.1 , running like a dream.
vgdvQ.png

P

Plexx

Privatefirewall ain't bad at all.

Unfortunately somehow I couldnt fully configure to run alongside with ESS 5 and not being disconnected from the game I play... for some odd reason...

Any ideas or tips?

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
biozfear said:
Privatefirewall ain't bad at all.

Unfortunately somehow I couldnt fully configure to run alongside with ESS 5 and not being disconnected from the game I play... for some odd reason...

Any ideas or tips?

I am sorry to hear you are having problems :(
Not sure what the issues may be, their support are supposed to be very good so could be worth dropping them a line.
I am extremely impressed with the Firewall, first time i have tried it and runs well alongside avast!

P

Plexx

the game support, we can forget about it.

im sure is just a matter of configuring along with ESS

Ill try to play around in virtual first

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Since version 6.1, PF has been free for home and commercial use ~2009, in time for Windows 7 release. :D

biozfear, why ESS and not NOD32+PF?

P

Plexx

Earth said:
Since version 6.1, PF has been free for home and commercial use ~2009, in time for Windows 7 release. :D

biozfear, why ESS and not NOD32+PF?

If there was a way to use the ESS license on NOD32, I would swap for it anyday.

I got a license as a gift.

On a side note: I tested AION with ports allowed etc, with the ESS+PF combo and no problem on disconnections. Looks like its only on Eligium.

Going to grab a copy of Avast and VIPRE trial and test run it on Virtual first. Only pain is installing the game there...

Also: I recall seeing on ESET website that SS has this, which I haven't seen on NOD32:
Optimized Startup Procedure NEW
No more waiting for signature database download to complete – ESET Smart Security 5 lets you start working immediately after booting, without compromising your security.
Source

Against NOD32.

If I am unable to use the ESS license on NOD32, I might actually renew my NOD32 License and give the ESS to a family member or a friend.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Removed: avast! free and Private Firewall.
Replaced by Online Armor Free with HIPS and Sandboxie 3.72.
No real time AV.
Rely on BDTL, Sandboxie and Emsisoft's Cloud/HIPS.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Does BDTL actually block malicious downloads ending in .exe, or do you have discard of them manually?

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Earth said:
Does BDTL actually block malicious downloads ending in .exe, or do you have discard of them manually?
BDTL just blocks malicious sites, Online Armor would certainly prompt if any nasties were to try and sneak by :)
.exe's are auto deleted by sandboxie if not deemed safe after a scan with VT uploader.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Minor tweaks to speed up browsing.
System DNS changed from Sendori to fastest available, changed using Namebench, found pages drop out and considerably slower using services such as sendori/norton/comodo.
Tightened up web protection, removed Bitdefender Trafficlight and added K9 web protection in it's place.
Dragon still primary browser with 'phishing and malware protection' option ticked.
Still not using Realtime AV/AM apart from Online Armor's cloud/Sandboxed browsers :)

P

Plexx

NSG001 said:
Minor tweaks to speed up browsing.
System DNS changed from Sendori to fastest available, changed using Namebench, found pages drop out and considerably slower using services such as sendori/norton/comodo.
Tightened up web protection, removed Bitdefender Trafficlight and added K9 web protection in it's place.
Dragon still primary browser with 'phishing and malware protection' option ticked.
Still not using Realtime AV/AM apart from Online Armor's cloud/Sandboxed browsers :)

For DNS application I have used DNS Jumper. How good is Namebench? Also how good was Sendori compared to Comodo/Norton>

So you are still without real time AV, join the club! Mind you I went more lighter than you. Only have the on-demand scans which I only run to update them. Currently testing a variation of Earth's avast settings but I suppose I gotta use my desktop for real time test run.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
@biozfear
Sendori was effective for blocking malicious links and sites but had found it quite sluggish at times as I have done with other such services (Norton and Comodo)
As the extra layers are there i have gone for speed :)
Namebench gives you a benchmark of reliable and fastest servers, works similar to Steve Gibson's DNS Benchmark tool > https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Think I could still trim the fat a little more but happy and content at the moment, under 50mb suits fine and everything on machine flies :)

Will keep an eye on your continuous testing, much appreciated :)

P

Plexx

Well, without NOD32 I havent seen much difference despite getting rid of nearly 80mb on RAM :p

How exacly are you planning your layers? I am curious

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Biozfear said:
Well, without NOD32 I havent seen much difference despite getting rid of nearly 80mb on RAM :p

How exacly are you planning your layers? I am curious

:p there is no planning i am just 'experimenting' for balance of speed, system resources and security.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Been playin' with malware so have used avast! and EAM for testing only past couple of d.ays
Live machine again has no realtime av although may trial Bitdefender IS for 30 days .. just under consideration :)

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Removed OA Free.
Added CIS 5.10 old config and trusted file list (Prepping for arrival of CIS6).
Added Comodo Secure DNS.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.