Expired OkayFreedom VPN for free!

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that all promo codes will remain active. Some offers have a short validation period and expire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
Ok, on further review I think I'm gonna skip Okay Freedom until I have a better grasp on VPN's, or I'll pay for something that I feel comfortable that has good support enough to walk me through some things. Some guy I think in Wilders forum said after an uninstall he had to reconfigure back some settings to connect back to the internet. I understand it's a worse case scenario, but it's one that I'll never be able to figure out on my own.
if u want a high quality vpn service with a good support forum have a look at this: https://www.perfect-privacy.com its not cheap but worth the money.

Reactions: HeavyEarly

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
The software is working fine and I assume they are telling the truth about their non-logging policy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Knight

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Eset Smart Security 8 flags the download as a virus, anyone know why?

If someone has the download file could they please run it through Virustotal so everyone can make an educated decision on it, it could be that the download goes through CNet and could be packaged with some nasty's.

I think we need to be provided a direct download link directly from OkayFreedom themselves.

Personally, I'm not installing anything that is flagged as a virus before it's even finished downloading ...... free license or not.

Want a GOOD solid free VPN that you can surf anonymously with? get SoftEther VPN project, no muss no fuss just a good solid VPN and it's free https://www.softether.org/

Last edited:
Reactions: norman

Dark Knight

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
You can judge for yourself,

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...c6b801bb3bc92bcb117f3b4c/analysis/1437998628/

I don't know about the rest of you but in my opinion some of the biggest heavy hitters in antivirus pick up the file as infected, not only Eset, If it was probably only one or two I would say it's a FP but 4 ? Nah, I'll stay away from this one. Why would one download a vpn to surf privately just to be tracked or infected by the vpn itself?

My opinion is it's a BS vpn which is why they are always giving it away.

Reactions: soccer97

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...c6b801bb3bc92bcb117f3b4c/analysis/1437998628/

I don't know about the rest of you but in my opinion some of the biggest heavy hitters in antivirus pick up the file as infected, not only Eset, If it was probably only one or two I would say it's a FP but 4 ? Nah, I'll stay away from this one. Why would one download a vpn to surf privately just to be tracked or infected by the vpn itself?

I have it installed and Norton did not flag it. ;)

Reactions: LabZero and JM Safe

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014

The detections are for the free version which injects ads on pages, this giveaway is for the premium version which doesn't. ;)

taleblou

Level 1
Verified
Nov 2, 2012
be warned as okayfreedom leaks your ip via unsecure header in your browser. To see this, try this security test: check2ip.com and pay attention to the red warnings of leaks. I noticed this when I used firefox and opera. Normaly there is no unsecured header leak but when okayfreedom is active there is.

Dark Knight

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
The detections are for the free version which injects ads on pages, this giveaway is for the premium version which doesn't. ;)

The free version is a CNet download which is a whole different set of problems, the file I uploaded to Virustotal which Eset flagged before the download even finished was from a direct download link that came in the licensing email for the free year. I am sure the free CNet download would come packed with it's own special nasties.

be warned as okayfreedom leaks your ip via unsecure header in your browser. To see this, try this security test: check2ip.com and pay attention to the red warnings of leaks. I noticed this when I used firefox and opera. Normaly there is no unsecured header leak but when okayfreedom is active there is.

I installed the premium version on a VM to perform this test and you are correct, there certainly is an IP leak, well it just confirmed it for me, not only do they serve the download up with adware and malware but it is just an all around sh!tty vpn. It's not only the "free" version.
They can keep there free license, it's not worth the headache and heartache.

Last edited:

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
The free version is a CNet download which is a whole different set of problems, the file I uploaded to Virustotal which Eset flagged before the download even finished was from a direct download link that came in the licensing email for the free year. I am sure the free CNet download would come packed with it's own special nasties.

I installed the premium version on a VM to perform this test and you are correct, there certainly is an IP leak, well it just confirmed it for me, not only do they serve the download up with adware and malware but it is just an all around sh!tty vpn. It's not only the "free" version.
They can keep there free license, it's not worth the headache and heartache.
The installer for both versions is the same... and almost every VPN leaks your IP via WebRTC or can get DNS poisoned, even your lovely Softether. If you don't trust the company: rent own servers via bitcoin, secure it, let it run in a ramdisk and cascade it with your other servers. Even then it's not secure or anonymous - the internet was neither made for anonymity nor security... You can only make it not worth following your activity, never impossible. ;)

taleblou

Level 1
Verified
Nov 2, 2012
The installer for both versions is the same... and almost every VPN leaks your IP via WebRTC or can get DNS poisoned, even your lovely Softether. If you don't trust the company: rent own servers via bitcoin, secure it, let it run in a ramdisk and cascade it with your other servers. Even then it's not secure or anonymous - the internet was neither made for anonymity nor security... You can only make it not worth following your activity, never impossible. ;)

no not with hardening. I have harden my firefox via tweaks that fix all the leaks. Its easy to do these. there are ways. Also some vpns do block leaks. Cyberghost and opera/chrome VPNs like zenmate, walcy, etc.. work well on harden browsers and no leaks. Okayfreedom is the worse I saw. It on purpose opened a harden browser to leak ip (openned unsecure header) and thats a no-no.

vindiesel

Level 7
Verified
Apr 15, 2013
Hi I have a question, I use ESET and detected as OkayFreedom infiltration is a false positive or not?

Had two infiltration and the exe of OkayFreedom,was eliminated by ESET,i Abia noticed that navigate was slow,once desicfectado accelerated navigation.

k0opk.png

Last edited:

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Hi I have a question, I use ESET and detected as OkayFreedom infiltration is a false positive or not?

Had two infiltration and the exe of OkayFreedom,was eliminated by ESET,i Abia noticed that navigate was slow,once desicfectado accelerated navigation.

k0opk.png
For me i think it is a FP. ;)

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Maybe it's fine. I am avoiding this one. Not worth the config,. W/o a premium installer that at least scans clean, I will go w/ F-Secure or one of their competitors. I just can't justify a VPN that causes a mess, and isn't that effective.

As far as Virus total, I put a good amount of faith in Fortinet. Yes, it is likely an exe free version bundlled w/ adware, but it may be like Foxit Reader that installs that Ask Toolbar anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.