OneDay

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
Hello, MT!
I just joined the forum as a new member and I hope you'll help me fit into here..

That's my security configuration. I only have 1,0GB of RAM and 599MHz processor
so I'm looking for something lightweight (and FREE). I would like to know your opinion on my
configuration and maybe some advice/proposals.

Thanks...

Update: UAC enabled at default / OpenDNS

Last edited:

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Greetings @OneDay
Hope you have good times here :)

Lightweight and free: Comodo IS, Avast free or Panda.
You makes your choice :)
Seems your current setup looks fine.

Reactions: yigido and OneDay

OneDay

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
Thanks for the quick responses...
@NSG001 - I have tried Panda and Avast in the past but they both seem to mess up with my browsing so I'll stay away from them.. 360 TS looks a very promising product so I'll currently stay with it.. Thanks anyway!
@GabiCRX - Thanks for your suggestion for herdProtect, it's now part of my array. As for Hitman Pro I think it's a very good product, but four on-demand scanners would be too much. As for MC Shield, I think I'll rely on TS for USB protection. My system wouldn't support too many programs. Finally, since Opera is one of the least vulnerable browsers out there, do you think MBAE would be helpful?
Thanks again...

Reactions: GabiCRX and NSG001

vrb93

Level 5
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
Very good config!
I wouldn't change anything if it runs well on your hardware :)
If you notice any slowdown with 360TS you can try panda cloud or avast free (system and web modules only + hardened mode on) ;)

Edit: since you dont like avast or panda try avira, it's light and effective :)
And if you need the lightest AV (IMO) try roboscan ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: OneDay

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would suggest isolating your browsing habits, you can use Sandboxie or BufferZone Pro, both are free to download and use.

Sandboxie: http://sandboxie.com

Unchecky runs silently in the background, it helps prevent downloaded / web installers from sneaking in toolbars and other unwanted programs.
http://unchecky.com

I don't know if Bufferzone Pro is free anymore, as during the uninstall it asked if I wanted to convert to the free version.
upload_2014-8-22_12-26-26.png

Last edited:
Reactions: yigido and OneDay

OneDay

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
Thanks for responding!
I have used Sandboxie in the past but I found it too complicated..
I think I'll give BufferZone a try. Is as much complicated as Sandboxie?

Edit: Since this problem with BufferZone occured, is there any other sandbox program like Sandboxie, just a litlle bit less complicated? Is, for example, 360 TS or Comodo's sandbox sufficient?

I would suggest isolating your browsing habits, you can use Sandboxie or BufferZone Pro, both are free to download and use.

Sandboxie: http://sandboxie.com

Unchecky runs silently in the background, it helps prevent downloaded / web installers from sneaking in toolbars and other unwanted programs.
http://unchecky.com

I don't know if Bufferzone Pro is free anymore, as during the uninstall it asked if I wanted to convert to the free version.
View attachment 18444

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@cruelsister Any comments in regards to 360 Total Security's sandbox or Comodo's sandbox?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Avast free.Have you thought of maybe upgrading to a new PC? There are some very good inexpensive machines.You can get some with Windows 7 such as HP. I would get rid of any unnecessary programs such as wisecare. CCleaner is enough and the more programs you run on that processor with 1GB of ram is going to slow it down.Thanks for sharing your config :)

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Lots of great advice and options to ponder, OneDay.

As your on one gig of ram how about getting rid of 360/AV and install Toolwiz Timefreeze for your real time protection to free up your precious resourses ?

Dont forget your on demand scanners as mentioned above.

Regards Eck:)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks for sharing so much! Reading your config, One Day, the truth dawned upon me that I also have an XP system with just:eek: 1 GB RAM. My friend, Behold Eck , must have read my mind (before I even arrived!:)) also mentioning the latest program I'd installed on my system that's like yours.;) Here is where you can read about Toolwiz Time Freeze on Softpedia, a favorite safe site recommended here by member whom know :rolleyes: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Toolwiz-Time-Freeze.shtml

On the subject of upgrading your system, I heard about the free operating system, linux lubuntu, http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Linux-Distributions/Lubuntu-Trasty-Tahr-103367.shtml mentioned here by one of our helpful staff members (Kudos to you, BoraMurdar!:D) and after test driving it's disk first, it revolutionized my old hardware, after installing (dual booting it) beside XP and literally setting my tired Dell Tower's Pentium 4 CPU free!
Tonight, before coming here and logging on, I'd downloaded LXLE (a very Windows-like spin of lubuntu (Many thanks go to illumination!:D) you can read about here http://www.lxle.net/ I recommend reading reviews located at the top, one space to the right of center.:cool:
Good luck!!:):)

Last edited:

OneDay

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
@Behold Eck & @Cats-4_Owners-2 - I have downloaded Toolwiz Time Freeze and I must say that I'm utterly impressed. Runs smooth, very fast.. just like I've never put it in. I can now recommend it myself too... One question: will program updates remain after reboot? Or I should put Program Files folder on the exclusion list? Are there any programs I should uninstall? I'd like to keep 360TS for testing purposes. I haven't noticed any slowdown so far.
Thanks in advance and thanks for your proposals!!

Edit: I looked up on some articles and it seems that you can't keep any changes after turning Time Freeze off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Behold Eck

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Stay with 360 Total Security and use the balanced mode ... realtime-protection without bitdefender and avira engines ... that's lighter and your system is faster... ;)

Reactions: OneDay and yigido

OneDay

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
Stay with 360 Total Security and use the balanced mode ... realtime-protection without bitdefender and avira engines ... that's lighter and your system is faster... ;)
Thanks for your reply. I'm a current supporter of 360 TS, so I'm not planning switching. I, too, think the inhouse engines are great and much lighter without Avira and BD, but what about offline protection, since Qihoo engines are cloud engines? I currently use Avira engine with no noticeable performance decrease, cause I think BD has too many false positives.
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: silversurfer

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Thanks for your reply. I'm a current supporter of 360 TS, so I'm not planning switching. I, too, think the inhouse engines are great and much lighter without Avira and BD, but what about offline protection, since Qihoo engines are cloud engines? I currently use Avira engine with no noticeable performance decrease, cause I think BD has too many false positives.
Thanks in advance!

you're right with the offline protection ... I also use avira engine in real time protection but the performance remains the same... bitdefender engine with 100 mb memory consuming more... :rolleyes: :( :mad:

OneDay

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
I'm back after a lot of time.. Truth is univesity and work liabilities kept me a little bit back, but I'm here now!
I've updated my configuration with the most important changes being the addition of ESET NOD32 and actually getting rid of XP and turning to W7. I hope you'll like it.
Thanks for reading. It feels good to be back.

Edit: forgot to mention that I also use Norton ConnectSafe DNS servers and I have UAC enabled (default state)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.