OneDay config (update: 2015-10-2)

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
I've been running same combo, ESET nod32 8 + comodo firewall, mine HIPS only. Great combo.

OneDay

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
Update: trying to configure NOD32 I stumbled upon @Umbra's recommended settings for Smart Security, so I activated my license and followed his advice.
I also tried Tixati and I found it a little bit slow, so I'm turning to qBittorrent for now.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

OneDay

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
Update:
installed COMODO Firewall and Avast Antivirus
changed DNS service from Norton ConnectSafe to OpenDNS

Reactions: JM Safe

OneDay

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
Changelog:
i) back to ESS
ii) added HTTPS Eveywhere
iii) back to Norton ConnectSafe

Reactions: JM Safe

OneDay

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
That's actually a "beta" configuration... I'll test it for a while and see how it goes:
- back to Windows Firewall
- added SecureAPlus

I'm also considering replacing SAP with Crystal Security if things don't work out with it (though till now it's been very good) and installing MBAE.
Thoughts over this config are welcomed!

Last edited:

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
That's actually a "beta" configuration... I'll test it for a while and see how it goes:
- back to Windows Firewall
- added SecureAPlus

I'm also considering replacing SAP with Crystal Security if things don't work out with it (though till now it's been very good) and installing MBAE.
Thoughts over this config are welcomed!
Well, it is an interesting test, with the combo SecureAPlus and Win Firewall.
MBAE=obviously good choice :D
After a while, I suggest to install also Crystal Security ;)

OneDay

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
Update (2015-9-15)

Changelog:
- removed SecureAPlus
- added NoVirusThanks ExeRadar Pro (thanks to hjlbx)
- added Wise Registry Cleaner (portable)
- added Slim Scroll bar extension to Opera
- switched back to OpenDNS from Norton ConnectSafe due to browsing speed slowdown

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Update (2015-9-15)

Changelog:
- removed SecureAPlus
- added NoVirusThanks ExeRadar Pro (thanks to hjlbx)
- added Wise Registry Cleaner (portable)
- added Slim Scroll bar extension to Opera
- switched back to OpenDNS from Norton ConnectSafe due to browsing speed slowdown
Hi @OneDay good choices, so NoVirusThanks I know that it is very good and light, Wise Registry Cleaner is fast. Only a question: why did you remove SecureAPlus? ;)

Reactions: LabZero

OneDay

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
Hi @OneDay good choices, so NoVirusThanks I know that it is very good and light, Wise Registry Cleaner is fast. Only a question: why did you remove SecureAPlus? ;)
Hello, Jo Man, and thanks for your reply.
I had some problems with SAP's real time scanning. I found it to be a little bit inconsistent and unstable.
Most of the time it was okay, but there were moments were it couldn't even access the UAV.
I tried to disable it (since I only need its whitelisting features), but it kept warning me that my system was not secure because I had disabled the UAV service.
Now, I think NVT ERP can do the same (or even more) without all this hassle. But, surely, I'm gonna try SAP's new version, after the beta period is over.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hello, Jo Man, and thanks for your reply.
I had some problems with SAP's real time scanning. I found it to be a little bit inconsistent and unstable.
Most of the time it was okay, but there were moments were it couldn't even access the UAV.
I tried to disable it (since I only need its whitelisting features), but it kept warning me that my system was not secure because I had disabled the UAV service.
Now, I think NVT ERP can do the same (or even more) without all this hassle. But, surely, I'm gonna try SAP's new version, after the beta period is over.
Thanks for reply, I understood and agree your choice!!

Reactions: LabZero and OneDay

OneDay

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
Update (2015-9-17)

Changelog:
- removed any real time protection
- added HitmanPro on-demand scanner
- some tweaks to harden Windows

From now on, I'm gonna rely on my knowledge, Windows Firewall, UAC, WOT and uBlock Origin (in default-deny mode).
Let's see how it goes for a while.

M

Mr. Tech

I suggest switching from OpenDNS (maybe go to Comodo DNS or Norton ConnectSafe?)

OneDay

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
I suggest switching from OpenDNS (maybe go to Comodo DNS or Norton ConnectSafe?)
Hello, Mr. Tech and thanks for your suggestions!
I've tried them both in the past, but: Comodo DNS actually blocks nothing (!) and I've found Norton DNS to slow down my browsing speed. OpenDNS is much faster and its phishing protection is top notch and I think it's more possible for me to stumble upon a fake login page than a malicious site.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.