Troubleshoot OneNote 2013 Slow Sync and Eset Smart Security 8.0.304.0

Erycina

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2014
Hello,

I have a friend who is currently using the latest Eset Smart Security trial on her computer. She followed Umbra's "Set Up Eset to Max Security" configuration and is currently having trouble syncing her OneNote 2013 checklists while on Learning Mode. She already clicked "accept" and "remember this rule" from the popups she was getting after opening a checklist. However, the sync (both automatic and manual) failed to complete. Any help, please?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Have you tried disabling EES 8 protection for a bit and see if you can sync OneNote 2013.I imagine the HIPS is blocking something which is not allowing it to sync.
I would not disable HIPS but you might try enabling logging of blocked operations in advanced HIPS.Then try syncing again and view the HIPS log which should show the rules that are blocking it.Then you should be able to adjust these rules

Ashampoo_Snap_2015.01.07_17h07m27s_002_.png

You could also switch to Automatic mode with rules and see if that changes anything

Ashampoo_Snap_2015.01.07_17h10m15s_003_.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erycina

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2014
I just tried temporarily disabling ESS on her computer and restarting the OneNote sync. This error comes up: "We can't sync the notebook because you're offline or because the network location is unavailable. (Error code: 0xE4010645)" However, when she used to just run Windows Defender with the default Windows Firewall, she can sync with no issues whatsoever. The HIPS log did not show anything about this. However, I checked the ESS firewall log, which stated "Packet blocked by Active Defense (IDS)." Is it safe to just place OneNote in the IDS Exceptions list? Her other MS Office 2013 apps work fine, though.

I also tried changing to Automatic Mode with Rules, but same issue here. Any other suggestions we can try?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erycina

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2014
My friend decided to use the 360 TS and CF combo for now as this setup works well with all her programs, especially OneNote. We did contact Eset, but they were not much help. Hope the new combo works well for her in the long run.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.