Guide | How To Online Storage VS External Hard Disk (advantages and disadvantages)

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
So your blaming Seagate for your clumsiness? Do you also blame Honda when you hit a pole? My Seagate just sits on my desk next to my cordless phone.I pick it up to dust my desk and lay it back down. I dropped my iPhone and cracked the screen. Does it mean Apple is too blame?

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I'm sticking to External HDDs for Backups and Recovery since it's easier to access and the speed in backing up the files is faster too.

D

Deleted member 178

Maximus said:
So your blaming Seagate for your clumsiness? Do you also blame Honda when you hit a pole? My Seagate just sits on my desk next to my cordless phone.I pick it up to dust my desk and lay it back down.

of course i blame them (even if it is not me that make it fall) ; it is supposed to be at least a bit resistant , 30cm is not too high. i saw some other brands that fell from higher without any issue..

when you pay 100 euros for a HDD you expect it to be able to suffer a small impact.

when you are victim of an accident with your car and the airbag failed to protect you, who you blame? you or the airbag...

offtopic: before criticizing someone, learn the fact first.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
If something is extremely important I burn it on a DVD. Nothing in m ypc cannot be replaced. Precious moments in time and pictures are burned on DVD's. Other then that if my external HDD fails I will be upset. Good planning is the key to preserving.

Lol. So ok.I will now tell everyone that when they drop there devices your not to blame. Man.I should have blamed Apple for my cracked screen. I am a moron. When you are speeding and hit a pole is that Porches fault? Nope.

Should your HDD have survived a small fall? Sure but Seagate still is not blame for your clumsiness.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Online Storages are pretty much of a joke since getting more space requires payments unlike an External HDD, You're already getting a ton of space for a reasonable price.

D

Deleted member 178

Maximus said:
your clumsiness.

did you read my post?

ok you like making useless argues just to prove that your point is right... ok i let you play alone in this game, have fun.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
BoXX28 said:
Online Storages are pretty much of a joke since getting more space requires payments unlike an External HDD, You're already getting a ton of space for a reasonable price.

Just read my analysis over 5 years. I can buy a new external HDD every year at a cheaper cost then online storage. And have more space.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
There are other external HDD's built specially for taking knocks and rough handling, Lacie Rugged for example. If you regularly take your drive out and it's likely to get knocked about, then you should invest in something like that.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
I need some clarification:
Are we talking about Online storage in the form of you buying some gigabytes on some server and dump your stuff on that?
Or are we talking about the cloud thing where you rely on Goggle, Microsoft, dropbox, facebook etc. to store your content across their services?

I use that second option, and in my opinion that is much better than any external storage.
If you only buy some gigs on a server, then you are better of with an external HDD.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The capacity of the storage in GB since aiming for it needs a budget thing there just to satisfy the needs.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
oh, ok... as you were.

bYF7I.gif

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Have always used a External HDD, and never had any problem with it. If in the future online storage comes down in price (or I get richer :p) I might try it out but at the moment I am going to stick with my External HDD.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Online storage is the cloud. Any online storage or cloud service does the same thing. It a place to store your documents or pictures and share them with family and friends. It can also be helpful when you are working a document from home. Upload it to the cloud. Go to work. Log in and download it from the cloud. But online/cloud storage should not used to backup critical items such as pictures or videos. Sharing is fine but using it as your main source, that's a bad move.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.