otto77's Config

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Any plans to upgrade to Windows 8.1?

It's a free upgrade via the Windows Store which includes Update 1 for Windows 8.1.

Reactions: Kent

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You may wanted to add lastpass to your chrome and Malwarebytes Anti Malware for your on demand scanner.

Reactions: tonibalas

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
In the Thread Tools > Edit Thread, you can add the information about how you are running 8.1 instead of Windows 8. Thanks.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello otto77. Welcome to this, our exceptional community you are currently active in by authoring your thread here, and thanks for sharing your configuration with us! I like it.
I am also in agreement with each of our member friends' suggestions, and especially hope you'll consider setting UAC to default or as I prefer it, maxed out at "Always notify" even if it may seem annoying. As I type, our Avast! AV that's been set to moderate hardened mode is currently warning me every line or so by asking me if I wish to allow my browser's plug-in container to open another program. Knowing that both plug-ins and extensions can sometimes aid in targeting us with spying and may connect with other tools used by devious hackers, I'm choosing not to allow the browser to open another .exe program. It's most likely nothing, but I also know I'm safe!:) Btw, UAC's a piece of cake compared to these Avast! alert warnings. Give me UAC any day!:p:D *I'm just partially kidding.;)

As an advanced level member, you may already know much of what we, your fellow members, suggest here for you now. None the less, I wanted to add just two more suggestions which are both Free, and like UAC warnings, they couldn't hurt while keeping your system light.:p;)
  1. www.sandboxie.com Oh, look! (...below on my signature line) It's a kite without it's tail!:p
  2. https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/ You can also find it's big brother,

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Definitely enable UAC and some type of backup solution
CCleaner or Privazer if not already installed
HTTPS Everywhere in Chrome
Agree with adding Malwarebytes to your on demand scanner options

Reactions: tonibalas

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
My suggestion is to add a second browser in case you have a problem with chrome.
Very good config and thanks for sharing.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.