[Out-Of-The-Box Review] SUPERAntispyware Pro (5.6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Homepage

Hi,

Today i will do an "out-of-the-box" review of SUPERAntispyware Pro on a real system (dedicated Rollback RX snapshot with Win 8 x64 Pro up-to-date)

SuperAntispyware was before one the references against spywares and similar threats; now they are also an anti-malware product; and can be used alongside your main security solution. Let see how it perform.

Code:
SUPERAntiSpyware has been designed to be compatible with popular anti-virus and anti-spyware applications such as Spybot, Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware, AVG, McAfee, Norton, Symantec, Kaspersky, Webroot, PC Tools, etc.

SUPERAntiSpyware should co-exist and compliment any security application. We have designed SUPERAntiSpyware to work seamlessly with your operating system and other software applications.

1- Installation

Classic installer, no toolbars bundled, no reboot, it will update its signature database at the end of the installation.

2 - Resource Usage

2 processes for around 10mb RAM (with some peaks at 60+mb, its quite light; i dont feel slowdowns.

Note that the amount of I/O write bytes is quite high.

RszKHgE.jpg

During scan the RAM rises to around 100+mb and CPU to 50%.

3- Interface

The interface is a bit "old style" but all the main informations are displayed.

FYWKFfv.jpg

we can see the "Rescue Scan" option, may be useful on infected systems.

Code:
Rescue scan should only be enabled when malware is consuming so many system resources that you are unable to run a scan. Rescue scan attempts to steal back some of those resources. If you are able to run a scan normally

Note: the "Find out what's running on your computer" feature is a link that works only with Internet Explorer

The browser you are using is not supported

The FileResearchCenter.com "Find out what's running..." report supports Internet Explorer running on the Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 platforms.

To run the report, please open Internet Explorer and use it to navigate to the following web page:

http://www.fileresearchcenter.com/whatsrunningpre.html

4- Scan

the Quick Scan took around 5-10mn (on the screenshot i interrupt it).

XFgkWou.jpg

5- Preferences

a- General & Startup

GqkaXVa.jpg

Basic options there, nothing special to report.

b- Scanning Control

there you can setup the various scanning options and exclusions.

some options are interesting:

- Terminate memory threats before quarantine
- Scan Alternate Datas Streams

A relatively unknown compatibility feature of NTFS, Alternate Data Streams (ADS) provides hackers with a method of hiding root kits or hacker tools on a breached system and allows them to be executed without being detected by the systems administrator.

Source

Source 2

c- Real-Time Protection

bv1OtP6.jpg

Classic options, we have to note the "First Chance Prevention", if you don't mind waiting a bit more during the boot, it may be useful.

d- Hi-Jack Prevention

WB1Lr0n.jpg

Classic options again here. I like the Homepage Protection.

e- Updates

krtrLvC.jpg

the common update options.

OK, now we know the UI and various options and features, lets go for what all of you waiting for : The Malware Test !

6- Malware Test

Using a malware pack uploaded today on our hub; i use it on my Real System backed up by Shadow Defender.

a-On Reading

JPRqxOi.jpg

b- Context scan:

detected: 9/44 = 20.5%
deleted: 9

Quite low compared to other solutions at first sight.

tHXqfty.jpg

DzP89CJ.jpg

c- Execution of leftovers

i will execute randomly 5 leftovers.

All samples were running, my system froze due to high CPU usage, i have to reboot

4dswM1Q.jpg

FINAL NOTE

SUPERAntispyware is a decent solution but its protection against 0-days malware could be improved.

It's resource usage is low so it is a good companion solution.

I rate it 3/5

Thanks

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Excellent review for that, also my addition for cons is their current version so far is came from last year (2012).

Thus its updates and development tends to be in gaps.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
jamescv7 said:
Thus its updates and development tends to be in gaps.

Thanks James, i will add your con. I didn't used it since many years so i am not aware of that ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.