Pirated Windows 10 installations will rock a desktop watermark

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatsuruHaveALife :D

Level 2
Verified
May 18, 2015
i tested win 7 black platinum once. Funny thing is it was a mix of vista and 7 in one. Recovery tool on disc was vista. So something messes up, reinstall. Try to use avast with it, OS crashes. Hmm. Seems legit. MBAM on scanning found MSIL droppers. And also despite being from 2013, a New version of Upatre. So, i guess it had been around for a while. Moral of Story? Though windows black and all that look super cool with the themes and whatnot, Use regular windows 7 and customize it yourself. Use the legitimate install iso. W I may upload a tutorial on how to install custom themes on yt. may not have all the flashy ones Win Black has, but can point to the anime ones and clear glass 2.0 and 3.0 for 8.1 i have personally. But Jist of what MS is doing, Pay up or else.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Some fascinating counterpoints here which bring to the forefront of my thoughts just how integralo_O a component maintenance can often be.:) It may also be directly related to security whilst, similarly to motor vehicles, non-conscientiously sourced parts or the quality & frequency of service that (whether upheld or avoided) can bring about multiple differences of ones experience;) or perceived:confused: state of being.:cool:

Last edited:

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I noticed the same with XP on forums. Pirated versions gets lots of BSOD errors.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Caitlin

Level 1
Verified
May 17, 2015
i tested win 7 black platinum once. Funny thing is it was a mix of vista and 7 in one. Recovery tool on disc was vista. So something messes up, reinstall. Try to use avast with it, OS crashes. Hmm. Seems legit. MBAM on scanning found MSIL droppers. And also despite being from 2013, a New version of Upatre. So, i guess it had been around for a while. Moral of Story? Though windows black and all that look super cool with the themes and whatnot, Use regular windows 7 and customize it yourself. Use the legitimate install iso. W I may upload a tutorial on how to install custom themes on yt. may not have all the flashy ones Win Black has, but can point to the anime ones and clear glass 2.0 and 3.0 for 8.1 i have personally. But Jist of what MS is doing, Pay up or else.
Huh. I didn't realize people used different ISO's (other than those packaged together things)... thought it was mainly vanilla ISO x loader combo? I mean it doesn't surprise me but why would you run something that would be a PITA to dodge updates with... just so it looks cool... Isnt that what deviant art is for lol

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
How will they know? Idk there's always a way to scoot around things like this

usually that is

Commonly Microsoft's Windows OS watermark 'not genuine' has implemented; if failed to activate the license or expired 30 days trial; which not really surprise on that move. And there are many hacks like WGA activation bypass tool which probably works (expect risks).

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
MS has gotten pretty good about making the use of pirated Windows installs a miserable experience. They made a completely idiotic move by changing their minds on offering Windows 10 to older pirated versions. It would have removed pirated versions from the world..you know, that thing MS and every software company wants to do? Now idiots the world over are going to keep using their old, at risk Windows installs which does nothing to help the already out of control malware/hacking problems.

They weren't going to make a killing off of Windows 10 the first go round anyway. The vast majority of users who want the thing will get it during the free period. Offering it one time to replace pirated systems would have hurt nothing. As for pirated versions of Windows 10? I honestly hope people who try to pirate it in the first year get so infected that they can do nothing but use the computer as a doorstop. May no AV or antimalware solution give them mercy.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Lol Windows activation protocol is a joke, even without a tool it just takes 1 phone call and they give you the key its just that easy.
Not to mention that changing the OS activation to "activated" and get it validated is even more easy and that can be done without a single tool. No malware no performance loss just legit (done by themselfs for free)

It makes me laugh to see MS doing stuff.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
It's much better to do it without activator tools, considering these tools are often infected themselves. I still think them changing their minds was an idiotic move. Even if a pirated copy has no risk whatsoever, you're giving people incentive to go "legit". Now, after that free year is up? Well, that's a different story. I'm not sure what a "watermark" is going to do though. Shame them to their friends and families?

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
So, looking around a bit more, I realized I'm a bit behind on just how easy it is to maintain pirated copies. I look like a fool for my earlier "miserable experience" comment. I haven't used a pirated copy in quite a long time so, here's my question: Why in the bluest of blue hells does MS allow you to download critical updates but not "optional" (which, let's face it, is usually drivers you prefer to get elsewhere anyway and are almost always one version behind)? I mean, I don't pirate Windows, but I get it. Why would you pay 100+ dollars if you can find a copy somewhere and then just "settle" for all the security updates you'll ever need?

Caitlin

Level 1
Verified
May 17, 2015
honestly why would they even care its more people using their OS which is going out of fashion. They make monies with cell phone deals and all the OEM PCs and laptops and whatnot and their business is prolly involved in all kinds of stock trading with all those funds. If I was microsoft I'd be like idgaf.... more people repping their "hood"

Ill admit to it. I didnt like windows 8 and uhhhhh Im not paying to downgrade when a billion dollar corp cant make an OS that works as well as free linux. Im frustrated at being pretty much forced into because of all the games that only make for proprietary OS's and my schools IT classes making us use programs that dont work in wine

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I should agree, there are instances that even you use a tool; none reported problems so far on my encounter from PC's to activate counterfeit OS but still pirated is pirated: you went on a shortcut without giving yourself an effort especially students who are CS and IT field that should know the ethics itself (the start of corruption)

MS is a huge company where its loss of income on illegal software likely a cent to them and surely the reminders are always take for granted.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Well, after the year I suspect we'll see a yearly charge somewhere in the range of Office 365 if not a little higher. That's if MS doesn't change its mind about the Windows subscription model. I think Microsoft still has a bit of Steve Ballmer left in them, so there is no telling what they might do. As for MS caring about who is stealing what, it's not really about home users doing the pirating. It's about corporate ones doing so. Microsoft doesn't make anywhere near the money with home users and small business that they do with military, government and large corporation licenses. And yes, those institutions have been known to used pirated software and operating systems more than once. I've witnessed it with my own eyes. That gets real expensive, real fast and is one of the main reasons many government entities and educational institutions have switched over to Ubuntu.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
So it should, my mate at Med School had a fake version of Windows Vista. I pay yearly, like most, and we end up paying more to compensate for those who abuse the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.