Piteko21

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
Hi,

this is my poor security config. :) I think that had not shared yet.

at present- Norton Internet Security, (just for test) but my principal real-time protection is ESET NOD 8.

(I share my student computer with my sister and dad).

Obs: Norton ( with norton safe web disable) is,surprisingly, so light as ESET

Suggestion, to improve security?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hi Piteko21. Thanks for sharing your configuration. Considering you are using an operating system that's been around for a long time, "poor" isn't as accurate a word as "mature", "discontinued", or, perhaps, "well seasoned"!!:p You do have good secondary scanners, AV & Firewall protection, and surprisingly CCleaner is a very effective privacy software as it clears tracking cookies & other tracers.
I have heard varying opinions of Windows Vista, and many of them have been quite good!:) An initial idea I had for your computer (apart from upgrading your system) was to use the free sandboxing program, Sandboxie, for browsing. Upon further thought, there is a free virtualization app called Time Freeze which I use on our own XP system, and feel would suite your shared system situation in a more straight forward way. It is best to read all about it first, after which you can decide if you agree it might be useful for you.
Updates, and changes you wish to retain should be performed without Time Freeze being activated. All other times, when Time Freeze is in use, your system will be protected from unwanted changes being made to your Vista system.

Good luck, friend.:)

Piteko21

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
Oh, thanks
I'll follow your advice, unaware of the existence of Time Freeze:)

Time Freeze can delete malware if the machine got infected, after restart?

Last edited:

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Oh, thanks
I'll follow your advice, unaware of the existence of Time Freeze:)

Time Freeze can delete malware if the machine got infected, after restart?

Time Freeze is actually a "lite" version of Shadow Defender- made by a different company and for a lower price (if not free).

When Time Freeze is enabled, the computer will save all installations/modifications to the system and "roll-back" or restore them after a system restart.
If you had the money, I would highly recommend purchasing a copy of Shadow Defender. It's a more featured version and is more mature. Shadow Defender/Time Freeze is quite powerful in my opinion, you have 2 choices when you run Shadow Defender: On-Demand or Fully Active (or something of that sort). When you use the On-Demand option, you choose specific folders and times when Shadow Defender is active. If you choose for Shadow Defender to be fully active, it will roll-back all changes to the system- kind of like automatic system restore.
(The technical version is that the software will take any new files added to the disks that you put in Shadow Mode (all or some) and virtualize them- discarding them when you restart)

(Toolwiz does the same thing but with a limitation of snapshots- 30)

Hopefully this helps!

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Your config is very strong , i like it.
I don't know about you but i had Vista installed on my laptop when i bought it and when the guarantee expired i switched to W 7.
With Vista boot time was over 2 minutes:eek::( and with W 7 is 45 seconds;):).
When i installed W 7 i thought i bought a new laptop,this is how i felt with Vista running on my laptop.
So my suggestion is if possible to upgrade to Windows 7 or Windows 8.
Thanks for sharing.

Piteko21

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
Your config is very strong , i like it.
I don't know about you but i had Vista installed on my laptop when i bought it and when the guarantee expired i switched to W 7.
With Vista boot time was over 2 minutes:eek::( and with W 7 is 45 seconds;):).
When i installed W 7 i thought i bought a new laptop,this is how i felt with Vista running on my laptop.
So my suggestion is if possible to upgrade to Windows 7 or Windows 8.
Thanks for sharing.

yep, my Vista boot time was over 4/5 min:( always been slow.
but I will upgrade to w7, when i have time

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
You are right about time and i forgot to mention that it was using up to 3 GB of my 4 GB RAM:eek::mad:
Very happy to see that you are going to upgrade:)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would upgrade the OS.Your config looks good!! I agree with jamescv7 advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.