Possible Malware threat.

Adrian McNair

Thread author
Jun 17, 2015
Hello,

I recently ran a routine set of scans with Malware Bytes Anti-Malware, AVG 2015 and Spybot SD 1.6.2.46. MBAM and AVG came up clean. Unfortunately, Spybot did pick up something - Win32.downloader.gen.

I tried to remove it but got the following message.

"Unexpected error in fixing problems.
(Cannot create file "C:\Windows\wininit.ini". Access is denied)"

I followed your instructions to remove it here. Most of the listed programs didn't pick up anything. And what few results did come up were in RogueKiller. They were listed as BHOs. I removed them. But other than that nothing came up that qualified as a true Trojan/Malware.

I ran another scan with Spybot but it was the same story. Win32.downloader.gen reared its ugly red head once more. Despite this I haven't experienced any symptoms. The only glaring thing about all of this is the fact that Spybot picked it up.

Should I be concerned about this or is this merely a false positive on Spybot's part?

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    92.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Addition.txt
    30.3 KB · Views: 12

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

Can you give me a picture or report what exactly Spybot detected.

This program is outdated and it is not used as before so you shouldn't believe its scan results.

Adrian McNair

Thread author
Jun 17, 2015
Hello,

Can you give me a picture or report what exactly Spybot detected.

This program is outdated and it is not used as before so you shouldn't believe its scan results.

I can give you both. Here's the text version in case the image I've uploaded doesn't work:

Win32.Downloader.gen 1 Entries Malware-C
(SBI $82F4FAFD) Data

C:\end

So it's outdated? That version of Spybot was the most recent one I could find on the Safer Networking site. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Spybot Results.jpg
    Spybot Results.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 14

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.