Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
The aftermath of the Superfish scandal, which saw Lenovo hauled over the coals for installing adware on many of its laptops, has thrown up a new threat. PrivDog, which replaces random ads on websites with ads from “trusted sources,” could be putting thousands of users at risk of hacking.

In order to replace ads on secure websites, PrivDog installs a self-generated root certificate and works as a man-in-the-middle proxy. This certificate is trusted by browsers, which means it would be possible for a hacker to issue their own certificate, which PrivDog would then copy, leading to the browser accepting rather than rejecting it as it would had PrivDog not been present.

This issue was discovered on Hacker News when a user running the test for Superfish discovered he was at risk due to having PrivDog installed instead. It’s thought around 57,000 users are at risk from PrivDog, which is closely linked to security software Comodo, with versions 3.0.96.0 and 3.0.97.0 affected. The company has already issued an update fixing the affected versions of PrivDog.

Full Article

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I really do not know why people bother with Comodo - this is the reason I do not trust free software. They always say "you get what you pay for, if something sounds too good, it usually is!"

Reactions: PVA_BR and frogboy

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
i remove comodo dragon from my laptop.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Well one could say that me and several other have been saying this all along.
I remember myself saying several times that Comodo products are not as good as advertised and that there are some shady things going on.
But then again the average Comodo fanboy tried their hardest to make me feel bad about my words.
In the end if a product claims epic hips, then you have to ask yourself are they talking about shakira hips? or some technology that looks good on paper (as granted their feature list looks impressive) yet even their basic firewall module is far from industry grade despite testing results.
Same goes for their other products, their idea's are great their actual results not so.
But thats why i am a comodo hater according to some, good side is that this article proofs exactly what i have been saying for years.

Infrared

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Feb 15, 2014
Some crazy stuff now, That just goes to show you not many companies you can trust.

Reactions: Warrior

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
That is why I like Kaspersky, there are no such things as adverts and possible adware. Melih will come up with some answer about how Privdog replaces malicious ads with their own. Personally, who wants that, I certainly would not! It’s about time Comodo was abandoned, just like most of his ideas….

L

LabZero

OK,we all know the story : a Comodo Registration Authority has been compromised,has anyone produced certificate requests that have been processed (in part Comodo does not know it) by issuing certificates.The problem has been detected and the certificates have been revoked.
All that most users this doesn't know it!

ZypKode

Level 1
Verified
Aug 7, 2014
I really do not know why people bother with Comodo - this is the reason I do not trust free software. They always say "you get what you pay for, if something sounds too good, it usually is!"
I read somewhere that When the Product is Free.The Product is You.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.