Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I think vendors are slowly phasing out lifetime licences because this would mean that their revenue would be significantly limited. Products that have 1 time payment systems normally do not have much development because it doesn't pay well to them. A good example would be malwarebytes, they used to have a lifetime licence programme but they have since stopped it because by paying every year you are supporting the product through it's development and keeping the servers it needs alive. Of course if the company decides to switch from lifetime licence to yearly licence don't be surprised that there will be some limitations to your product because of the lifetime licence. Although malwarebytes has been very honest in their lifetime licence users, and have given them every upgrade that has ever been pushed out since free of charge because of the lifetime licence. But don't expect every company to be like that, they have to make money out of the product somehow to continue the development!

Reactions: starchild76

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I think vendors are slowly phasing out lifetime licences because this would mean that their revenue would be significantly limited. Products that have 1 time payment systems normally do not have much development because it doesn't pay well to them. A good example would be malwarebytes, they used to have a lifetime licence programme but they have since stopped it because by paying every year you are supporting the product through it's development and keeping the servers it needs alive. Of course if the company decides to switch from lifetime licence to yearly licence don't be surprised that there will be some limitations to your product because of the lifetime licence. Although malwarebytes has been very honest in their lifetime licence users, and have given them every upgrade that has ever been pushed out since free of charge because of the lifetime licence. But don't expect every company to be like that, they have to make money out of the product somehow to continue the development!
But if the product is good enough each new generation of users will buy it and that would be a lot of sales.

Reactions: starchild76

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
But if the product is good enough each new generation of users will buy it and that would be a lot of sales.
Yeah but it won't be as much as if they made it an annual renewal licence, if they can make such a good product, won't users be more inclined to renew their products, therefore driving annual sales up instead of a lifetime licence? :)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Yeah but it won't be as much as if they made it an annual renewal licence, if they can make such a good product, won't users be more inclined to renew their products, therefore driving annual sales up instead of a lifetime licence? :)
Well i guess so but it still sucks as i would rather just pay for a key just once wouldn't you. ;):)

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Well i guess so but it still sucks as i would rather just pay for a key just once wouldn't you. ;):)
oh I definitely would but that would either mean that the key itself would be $100++ or that the product won't be having any big improvements soon!

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Then which of these antivirus products (incl. "Switz Antivirus"- first time I heard about it) are still being well-actively developed?
Interesting how Switz offers both a one year licences and a lifetime (which is basically 3 years priced) licence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.