Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
NEW YORK — At the time of last year’s New York Comic Con, Sony’s PlayStation 4 and Microsoft’s Xbox One were about a month away from entering the living rooms of eager gamers. Now that the new consoles have been on shelves for a year, gaming journalists Greg Miller, Colin Moriarty and Marty Sliva of IGN and Alexa Ray Corriea of Polygon discussed how well each system delivered on its powerful potential.

“We’re just starting to see games that we can call next-gen right now,” said Corriea at the panel, citing Warner Bros’ recent action game Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor as an example. According to the panelists, Shadow of Mordor is a next-gen experience not just because it looks and plays great, but because it uses the new systems’ hardware to create unpredictable enemy encounters via the game’s Nemesis system.

“It’s the interesting idea, not just the better graphics,” said Sliva on Shadow of Mordor. “I’m hoping in the next year, there will be ideas that are like ‘holy crap, I can’t believe they did that.’”

While Sliva and Corriea praised the big-budget chaos of the latest Lord of the Rings game, Moriarty cited indie side-scrolling shooter Resogun as one of the new gaming generation’s greatest achievements. Developed by small Finnish studio Housemarque, the PS4-exclusive Resogun received near-universal praise for its intense and addicting gameplay from both fans and critics alike, proving that niche, non-cinematic games can survive in the current console era.

“I love this rise of indie games, these $5 to $10 games that go against $60 games,” said Moriarty. “That’s the future, whether you’re ready or not.”

The panelists also mentioned indie hits like Transistor and Super Time Force as examples of what next-gen gameplay is all about. The former game allows you to switch between real-time action and slowed-down strategy on the fly, while the latter takes things even further by allowing you to rewind time and fight alongside time-displaced versions of your character.

Next-Gen Failures
While the new generation of consoles has allowed for exciting and novel gameplay experiences, the PS4 and Xbox One are both dealing with their share of growing pains.

Sliva noted that the user interfaces of both systems still feel too cumbersome, claiming that he still has a better time navigating his old Xbox 360 than an Xbox One or PS4.

There’s also the issue of unused accessories. Microsoft’s Kinect motion-sensing camera was once a major part of the Xbox One’s mission statement, but the amount of Kinect-ready games are scarce, and Microsoft essentially dumped the camera by launching a cheaper Xbox One configuration that ships without one.

“I think Microsoft is struggling to stay on message,” said Moriarty. The Xbox One maker once touted its machine as an always-online, entertainment-focused experience that would require a Kinect, but has since been taking a games-first approach to better compete with PS4. And while the company gained a huge asset by acquiring Minecraft developer Mojang, the move seems to have swallowed up the hype behind Microsoft’s own world-builder, Project Spark.

While the group concluded that Sony has the lead in the current console war, Moriarty pointed out that Microsoft isn’t exactly failing.

“If you asked Microsoft if they’re happy with 6 or 7 million Xbox One units sold, I think they’d say yes,” said Moriarty.

The Nintendo Factor
Even in a panel about the Xbox One and PS4, Nintendo’s Wii U managed to enter the conversation.

“To me, no game this generation is better than Super Mario 3D World,” said Sliva, reinforcing the panel’s common theme of pure fun trumping technical prowess. Still, Sliva admitted that his Wii U collects dust in the long months between big Nintendo releases.

“It’s sad to see that [the Wii U] can’t technically keep up with the new consoles,” said Moriarty, claiming that the less powerful Wii U keeps third-party developers from bringing their major games to Nintendo’s system. For example, the newest Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed games will be available to Xbox One and PS4 players this fall, but Wii U owners will be out of luck.

“People say, ‘if you’re a real gamer, you’ll buy all three [consoles],’ but that’s not financially realistic,” Moriarty continued. “If I bought just a Wii U, I’d be pretty upset.”

The group of IGN and Polygon journalists closed their panel by discussing their favorite games on Xbox One and PS4. Sliva and Corriea took a final chance to gush about Transistor and Shadow of Mordor, respectively, while Miller got a few laughs out of the crowd by mentioning the somewhat forgotten video game DC Universe Online.

For Moriarty, it was once again all about the frenetic, straight-to-the-point action of Resogun.

Source

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
“I’m hoping in the next year, there will be ideas that are like ‘holy crap, I can’t believe they did that.’”

“That’s the future, whether you’re ready or not.”
The panelists also mentioned indie hits like Transistor and Super Time Force as examples of what next-gen gameplay is all about. The former game allows you to switch between real-time action and slowed-down strategy on the fly, while the latter takes things even further by allowing you to rewind time and fight alongside time-displaced versions of your character.
For Moriarty, it was once again all about the frenetic, straight-to-the-point action of Resogun.

Source
Oh my, ...It's as though I've missed the train!;) :):rolleyes:
This is so very cool!!:cool: ..while, at the same time, the article brought me to the realization:oops: I shall truly need to "..rewind time and fight alongside time displaced versions:confused: of (myself)" because all of these g-a-m-e-s:mad:(even "Super Mario World") would probably make me gasp the words: :eek:"holy crap,o_O I can’t believe they did that."!!:D

I have been schooled. Thanks!!:) ..it is time for me to become the "Resogun".:p

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.