[Question] Using KIS2014 Product Key to download and install KIS2015 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Hey guys, Aura here.

So I think that my thread title explains my question pretty much. I have a product key for Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 (KIS2014) and I would like to know if I can use that product key to upgrade to KIS2015. Like, download KIS2015 from Kaspersky website, install it, and use that product key. Apparently it's possible if I understand the article here :

http://www.kaspersky.com/upgrade

I just want someone to confirm me that it works before I spend time downloading, uninstalling KIS2014 and installing KIS2015.

Thank you !

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Sure Aura!!! You can go ahead. I did the same with KAV 2014 when I upgraded to KAV 2015:p

Thank you trainbus, good to know.
I'll uninstall KIS2014 once I get home tonight, restart my computer then download and install KIS2015.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Thank you trainbus, good to know.
I'll uninstall KIS2014 once I get home tonight, restart my computer then download and install KIS2015.

Don't uninstall KIS first. Download KIS 2015 first, disconnect from the Internet, uninstall KIS 2014, install 2015 then again reconnect. Never connect to the net without an AV.

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
If you are not connected to the internet during uninstallation, KIS cannot send information to the license server about the uninstallation. As long as you are not surfing the internet with an outdated browser with outdated plugins, being connected to the internet during uninstallation is fine.

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Don't uninstall KIS first. Download KIS 2015 first, disconnect from the Internet, uninstall KIS 2014, install 2015 then again reconnect. Never connect to the net without an AV.

FleischmannTV have a point.

If you are not connected to the internet during uninstallation, KIS cannot send information to the license server about the uninstallation. As long as you are not surfing the internet with an outdated browser with outdated plugins, being connected to the internet during uninstallation is fine.

Also, I know what I'm doing. I could surf the web without KIS and not get infected. All my softwares are up-to-date, I have Secunia PSI running in the background just in case I miss an update and I have restrictions put on Google Chrome so everything that wants to run, download, etc. asks with a prompt first. Also, it will take only a few minutes to reinstall so I'm not worried at all. I'll be on MalwareTips, GeeksToGo, HF and Facebook meanwhile. Or playing BF4.

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Update went smoothly.
I downloaded KIS2015, grabbed my KIS2014 product key and cancelled the activation on KIS2014. Then I uninstalled it, restarted my computer, installed KIS2015 and activated it.
One good thing done !

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.