Questionable software required to take an exam: It feels like I will have to install spyware or more

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
I am a university student, I am taking a course online. We have to use this exam proctoring service (name not included so I don't get a lot of nasty flak). You basically have to install their "Customized version" of LogMeIn. From my understanding it contains the ability to view your screen, record keystrokes, facial biometrics, the ability to view your webcam, control your mouse. It is some serious questionable stuff. I will include this article in a spoiler so it's not an easy google search.

Note paragraphs 4 and 5 specifically.

-But the catch is the user has to agree to install it (not like we have a choice). There is also someone remotely watching you (a human, whom you can see their face).

-I have no problem being watched during an exam, I would rather have an actual human being staring at me or sitting next to me than install this crap (which apparently "is no longer active/uninstalls itself after the exam is over).

Read the article. It is ridiculous. I am going to ask if I can take the test on campus. Their software is way beyond the lines of common sense, and IMHO I would consider it malware that "is voluntarily consented to". They prohibit the use of VM's (there is controversy surrounding this, IDK why). I am guessing its white-listed too so it's all good.

Granted, universities all over the country are using them.

My concern is I don't want to install this crap on my personal PC.

What do you guys think?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I feel your pain, When I was was attending University of Phoenix online (Axia) for my MBA Paralegal We had to use a very similar tool (possibly same tool)
for a couple of exams and it was irritating, but in the end it was worth it. I would have opted for the on campus exam but I was in northern Texas at the time and not about to travel to Phoenix for a test.
Chances are that my wife would have had to come drag me home if I would have went, Arizona "imo" is beautiful. lol

L

LabZero

ProctorU says, "we look at them; we look at their monitors, we look at their computers, we look at the motion of their eyes. "

So I wonder if these invasive measures are respectful of the privacy of the students.

In my opinion we're not talking about a malware or spyware but a privacy violation knowingly accepted by you when you accept the EULA, the privacy terms and then a contract that binds us.

The choice is yours, personally I'd rather support a University exam in front of a real person.

Terms of Service - Online Proctoring - ProctorU

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.