Recently bought a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

nastynate

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2014
Hello, I've had recently just bought a Macbook Pro and wanted to know whether I should run an Antivirus and if so what Antivirus should I use? There a lot of discussions on this forum about Antivirus but it's really only related to PC's and not Mac's.

Reactions: Terry Ganzi

nastynate

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2014
Thanks, silly me I've should have used Google. But I was looking for more personal experiences if anybody wanted to share some.

Reactions: Terry Ganzi

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well even though I'm not using Mac but holding my experience with IOS OS (Ipod Touch), its an optional to have AV even though there are few emerging threats around, still your common sense should take care of and most viruses are Windows executable.

Likely use adblocker for browsing habits and add extension like WOT to notify about the dangers of website especially phishing.

Reactions: Vasudev

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Well even though I'm not using Mac but holding my experience with IOS OS (Ipod Touch), its an optional to have AV even though there are few emerging threats around, still your common sense should take care of and most viruses are Windows executable.

Likely use adblocker for browsing habits and add extension like WOT to notify about the dangers of website especially phishing.
Download apps only from Apple's app store and you'll be safe.

Reactions: Moose

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I did have a mac, but hated the darn thing, it's just apple, apple and more apple. I used Kaspersky, then changed to avast! It eventually went in the bin.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You need to Turn On the Firewall.

I haven't one installed at the moment, but all accounts are Standard rights with a single Admin account.

Reactions: Moose

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
AVs on a Mac and also its security features are useless: https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.synack.com/RSAC+2015+Final.pdf

Go to settings>Security>Firewall and enable it, and activate Incognito mode in advanced.

Make sure Gatekeeper is set to Mac App Store only, or App Store+verified publishers.

Get an external HDD and plug it in once and set it as Time Machine Backup drive, OSX will prompt you.

Go to the Apple logo on the top left and run the software update.

Here are some good free tools: https://objective-see.com/products.html

rienna

Level 2
Verified
Mar 28, 2015
Sadly yes.
Macs do indeed need Antivirus. Not as badly as windows but it is STILL a necessity especially if you want to avoid accidentally infecting your friends that are running Windows.

I would take the same steps above with gatekeeper and the firewall.
but also add-on something like

http://www.clamxav.com/ (or you can get it from the app-store if you don't need or want drivesentry (actually a folder/file monitor that monitors said folder/files of your choice) and do regularly scans once in awhile.

And perhaps WOT (Web Of Trust) to help steer clear of infected sites in the first place so your browser doesn't become a vector.
And I honestly highly recommend it.
(Note: It's a browser extension, and it works in most major browsers from Mac, to Windows, to Linux).

I take the same safety procedures on Linux using ClamAV (with ClamTK GUI).
Although for linux it's only just to be sure I don't give my Windows partition or my family malware by mistake since there's almost no malware for it. (And the malware that does come out for linux doesn't get to live very long before the hole or "exploit" it used to come through is patched up).

Also although this page is dated 2013 it does provide helpful advice.
http://appducate.com/2013/05/should-a-mac-use-an-anti-virus-or-anti-malware-app/

D

Deleted member 21043

And perhaps WOT (Web Of Trust) to help steer clear of infected sites in the first place so your browser doesn't become a vector.
And I honestly highly recommend it.
(Note: It's a browser extension, and it works in most major browsers from Mac, to Windows, to Linux).
I like it too, however bear in mind that results can be faked.

rienna

Level 2
Verified
Mar 28, 2015
I like it too, however bear in mind that results can be faked.

True after witnessing the WOT team frame several sites and claim malwarebytes and hpHOSTS labels them as dangerous (even though said sites ARE not listed in hpHOSTS and malwarebytes nor does any other site rating/reputation service rate them bad) I have kinda dropped them my own usage and recommendations list likewise with webutation (100% ratings for scam sites, yet a 50 or 40 on a site I know well to be safe? Not cool).

I might recommend trafficlight from bitdefender, or adguard free with it's antimalware/spyware site/domain filters enabled (if running chrome or firefox) but WOT and Webutation have lost all of my trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.