Battle Reg: No. of Reviews in Amazon for Internet Security Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
I have been browsing amazon.com for Internet Security Software and I find that Norton/Kaspersky has more no. of user reviews than ESET/CIS with McAfee standing between them.

But in tech & security forums, people seem to prefer ESET and in MT lots of people prefer CIS. I would like the views of MT members regarding this.

Is this because the average joe does not know about ESET/CIS or Norton/Kaspersky are really better software or people buy ESET/CIS from some other vendor?

I haven't tried Kaspersky but from my personal experience I can say that Norton is horrible and I don't like or dislike McAfee.

PS: FYI, options in poll listed alphabetically.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Pandy

Level 1
Verified
Nov 19, 2014
AFAIK Norton is sold/pushed more on the general stores and such, atleast were i am.
Mcafee is pushed to not so knowledgeable people when buying laptop as they, unfortunately, ship with it installed.
if i asked a normal comp store nearby me, they prob wouldn't even know what eset is :p

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
I vote for ESET, its good, has all the features that an home user need to stay protected.
Comodo is also good, but I will go for AVAST IS 2015 over Comodo, also very good overall.
ESET and AVAST seems a good deal for home users.

You should change Mcafee by Avast IS.

D

Deleted member 2913

Comodo Internet Security is good but user need to know how it works especially autosandbox & taking file out of sandbox. So in my opinion not good for average users.

I have never used Kaspersky but read it provides excellent protection & is set & forget with default settings. So good for average/experts both.

I have never used Norton too. But read it sometimes deletes instead of quarantine especially new software or version... dont know if it still does so. But its too set & forget & good for average/experts both.

Eset is good too for average users with default settings & good for experts too. I personally find it proactive default weak but its good for average users.

I used Mcafee once back in days but didn't liked it a bit. Dont know how improved it is now. I think Avast is better than Mcafee.

My personal opinion go with Kaspersky or Comodo if they works good on your system.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
CIS is great when tweaked! Though only "okay" when left on default settings. I'd go with Comodo if looking for free, but ESET if paid for. AVOID Mcafee, it's too high on system resource and lacking some in protection.

I think ESET is the best option for a PC in the list above.

I have a quick question about Comodo's AV, can Comodo Anti-virus be configured to be strong like Comodo Internet Security, or do the sandbox and tweaks rely mostly on Comodo Firewall to block threats and secure the system?

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Any of the first 3 options I'd go for, and be happy with.

i'd pick CIS personally because its free, BUT honest opinion ESET I voted for... because its less "buggy" and also has solid protection. Comodo also needs some changes to sandbox to reach its potential.

CIS had a strange bug, AFTER using system restore, well... at random a corner piece of the Comodo UI would appear on screen for no reason, hahaha (I could close it with task manager but couldn't fix), never happened before the restore! Avast I also did a system restore... no bug problems at all.

Norton I haven't used in years, but didn't like it too much.

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
As a user\member whom shall select a replacement for Avast! in one month's time, for Windows 8.1, this thread serves as a positive sounding board whlist I decide upon a choice!:D Though limited, the beauty of this poll's selections is they are all good ones!:):) Our Windows 7 SP 1 has been a proving ground for ESET (my vote) for it's consistency in compatibility, protection, & performance. The customisable Comodo IS 8 has fit our highly ecentric XP system well, & brought it out of semi-retirement!:p So, which shall I choose for our Windows 8.1 which may someday eventually become "10"? I've not decided, but remain positively hopeful & open. ..and, perhaps, I shall choose from this list, or from among the other names mentioned.
I'll keep you posted!:) ;):D

Reactions: JakeXPMan and Kent
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.