Troubleshoot Revo Uninstaller Pro Does Not Create Restore Points

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
RUP does not create pre- application uninstall restore point. W8.1 64 bit.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Uninstall/re-installed RUP. Does not correct issue. Performed online Google search, but info is scarce.
Hello,

Anyone experience issues with Revo Uninstaller Pro not creating a pre- application uninstall restore point?

My OS is W8.1 64 bit.

Thanks

I

illumination

Thread author
Are you trying to install the applications with Revo, so when time comes, you can completely uninstall it with Revo? IF so, download the the application you want to the desktop, right click it and click install with Revo, this will map the whole installation for complete removal by Revo at a later point..

Reactions: tonibalas
Upvote 0

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Are you trying to install the applications with Revo, so when time comes, you can completely uninstall it with Revo? IF so, download the the application you want to the desktop, right click it and click install with Revo, this will map the whole installation for complete removal by Revo at a later point..
This is exactly what i do with all installations;), it's the best way to remove leftovers

Upvote 0
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Hello,

No I'm just using Revo right now to uninstall all the OEM crapware. I'll get to the Revo installs later.

I figured it out. When I restore my OS, for whatever reason System Protection (Restore Points) is turned off.

Turn it back on and Revo will create a restore point.

Ah, W8.1...whattah mess...:confused:

What do you think, Revo worth the money??

Upvote 0

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
For me it's the best uninstaller;) and you want to buy it i can tell you it's worth the money.
But before buying you can try free alternatives like Iobit Uninstaller and if you are satisfied with them you can save your money.
Take a look here maybe you can find something you like;)
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/
I hope i have helped:)

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Maybe if you do a lot of testing with new programs. I do use the free version, but I also like to do my own clean up of left over registry entries and files after using REVO. If your trying to clean up a bunch of crap ware,I suggest using this great freeware program. It will find the left overs that REVO misses.;)
Search Everything!
http://www.voidtools.com/faq/
http://www.voidtools.com/downloads/

Upvote 0
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Yeah, it seem I'm always installing, uninstalling and re-installing. Part of the tester's territory I suppose.

Instead of Everything I use UltraSearch.

Unless it is critically important, beyond what Revo finds I leave the reg entries alone...that is the kind of task that will drive anyone nuts...plus the benefit of eliminating a few orphaned reg entries really has no benefit - unless there is an issue related to that entry.

Of course this method doesn't work if you're particularly OCD about your reg. Anyone whose truly OCD really should stay away from Win anyways otherwise they're apt to have a nuclear meltdown.

Thanks for the tip donetao...you da man!

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Thread author
Hello,

No I'm just using Revo right now to uninstall all the OEM crapware. I'll get to the Revo installs later.

I figured it out. When I restore my OS, for whatever reason System Protection (Restore Points) is turned off.

Turn it back on and Revo will create a restore point.

Ah, W8.1...whattah mess...:confused:

Ahh.. Glad you got it figured out.. I always used the free version to just uninstall all bloatware. Personally i think Revo is worth the little bit for the lifetime license of that version. It saves one much time tracking down left overs on the system manually. That said, even using a program like this, i will thoroughly go through the system after to make sure it is completely uninstalled.. The few extra features such as what we mentioned above of installing with Revo and mapping the install"real time software monitoring", being able to force uninstall programs, the ability to use command line uninstalls, Hunter mode, Logs database to check your PC's compatibility with software,not to mention the autorun manager and junk files cleaner..are quite a few extra nice features..

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! @hjlbx I agree 100% the reg entries left behind after REVO are usually few and no real benefit in removing them; except the satisfaction I get knowing I nuked the whole program. I have another program I use to find the left over registry entries, but I don't recommend it here on the forum. UltraSearch looks interesting. Probably the same as Search Everything. The reason I like to nuke the left over reg's is some times I have found that it's necessary if you want to reinstall the program. Very rare occasions. I just like a clean ship;);)

Hi! @illumination Some of the tools you mentioned are present in the free version!!
PS I know I have a lot of Toshiba crap ware on my PC, but I do use some of them some times and I don't need the free space, so I leave them.:):):D

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 630
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
H

hjlbx

Thread author
PS I know I have a lot of Toshiba crap ware on my PC, but I do use some of them some times and I don't need the free space, so I leave them.:):):D

Toshiba, Toshiba, Toshiba...hmmm, let me take a look see...mine is loaded-down with crapware.

So I'm uninstalling and in the process creating a custom system image...using recimg- or probably Slimware's RecImg Manager (nothing more than a GUI for recimg- ).

Experimenting right now for the most part. Gotta remember to write it all down that way I don't have to remember next time...right? Fat chance...

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I'm sure you have created a back up image of your OS before starting all this clean up of crap ware.
I hope you do or hope you have!!

Upvote 0
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Hi! I'm sure you have created a back up image of your OS before starting all this clean up of crap ware.
I hope you do or hope you have!!

Of course...restore media on a flash drive.

I know what you're thinking. The OEM OS stays on the HDD...it's always there just in case you need it. You can create a customized version of that OEM OS with recimg- and it will be on the same HDD. I suppose if you wanted to you can make as many versions as you like - if they will all fit on the drive.

Using recimg- you can pick and choose which version you wish to use when you restore or reset your PC.

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I'm sure you know what your doing. I have the 5 CD's and a flash drive with back to factory. I also have and leave that feature on my HD.
I'm talking about a back up image of your OS before you make big changes, so you can get back there if you need to. Going back to factory is OK once in awhile, but a lot of work. I prefer Macrium Reflect to create images of my OS!

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hello donetao,

Factory sucks...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree100% I have at least 14 images of my OS setting on a external HD and they are all verified and virus free!!
Going back to factory and having a brand new OS is fun once in awhile , but not some thing I want to do very often!!

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If I'm not mistaken you can run Revo Uninstaller Free version well on 64 bit system but expect on few issue where handling of programs may cause of. ;)

But there are many alternatives that can support well on 64 bit environment which are free and no charge.

Upvote 0
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Sometimes...computers just plain suck...Windows Update/Background Intelligent Transfer Service broke today. Fix It, Troubleshooter, sfc /scannow, DISM.exe, services.msc, a couple of utilities, reset the Windows Update cache, deleted Software Distribution/Downloads, and probably other things...at this point I can't remember...

Been at it for hours...could not get it to work, but then out of the blue without explanation...it started working again...

Ah, this is the life...the digital life... Oh, Good Grief...

I genuinely like Revo, but there is nothing in the version 3 that version 2 will not do if all you need it for is uninstalls...

I'll take a look at IOBit. There's Geek uninstaller too for x64 systems. Hell, if you don't care about removing leftover files and reg entries then even Glary Utils, SlimCleaner or CCleaner will work fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! @hjlbx I spend about 5 minutes trying to fix a problem like you described. Then I say the Hell with it. I put my WE P3 in my DVD drive. Wait for it to load Macrium Reflect. Find the latest back up image. Select it. Go make me some coffee and I'm back up and running just like the day I created that image in about 15 minutes. Why fight with a stupid computer, unless you just enjoy pulling your hair out.
The secret is to be smarter than the computer. Restore to a image when every thing worked well and then:p:pat your PC.
It took me awhile to learn this, but now it's a piece of cake!!;);)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.