Rick1488's Config

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
Hello @Rick1488
Your config is weak but here are tips to make it better :)
  • ENABLE UAC!!! UAC can save your PC!
  • Install any on-demand scanners example EKK,Zemana,MBAM
  • Install uBlock and Https everywhere to your browser
  • Install LastPass to organize passwords
  • Backup your data to external HDD or use cloud(Dropbox,MEGA)
  • Install Sandboxie
  • Install ccleaner or PrivaZer
Thanks for share your config.
Sayonara ;)

Reactions: yigido and Piteko21

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
hello and welcome to MT.
I suggest enable UAC can save your pc .
add some ondemand scanners like malwarebytes/ hitmanpro or zemana antimalware.
and make a backup it´s always important...

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Enable UAC
Consider a couple on demand scanners
Some type of backup solution
CCleaner or Privazer if not already installed

D

Deleted member 21043

Hello @Rick1488,

I'm going to try to help you improve your Security Configuration.

First up, make sure to enable User Account Control (UAC). Disabling it leaves your system at risk to a certain extent. A lot of malicious software requires UAC elevation. UAC elevation will give the application permissions whilst it's executing to do things it wouldn't be able to do without UAC confirmation (so without Administrative permissions).

For example, if you had a program called "hellothere.exe" which would have required to be running with Administrative Permissions to do certain actions and UAC is disabled, running it will result in it doing this without needing extra consent from the user before it executes. The consent will be a choice for the user of whether they want the program to have permission above what programs without UAC elevation have.

When a program is running with Administrative priveleges, it allows it to do things like:
  • Drop files in protected areas (such as System32)
  • Modify protected registry keys
  • Load Kernel Mode drivers (this is a whole separate topic but it can be a very bad thing in terms of malicous software
Those are just some of the things. Truth be told, only allow programs you trust to run with Administrative rights and you will be better protected generally speaking. Of course not all malicious software will require Administrative priveleges (far from it).

Second up, I recommend you add some on-demand scanners on your system. On-demand scanners are Antivirus/Antimalware scanners which don't incorporate features that the standard Antivirus/Antimalware products may incporporate, such as: Real-Time protection, Behaviour Blocking/HIPS, and all the other features it may have. In other words, it just scans and see's if it can detect.

For on-demand scanners, I recommend: HitmanPro, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free, pro is unnecessary as you do not need the pro features. You just need the free for on-demand scanning), Emsisoft Emergency Kit. If you do not wish to have all 3 of those recommendations, you could tone it down to 1 or 2 (2 is more recommended in my opinion). I recommend keeping HitmanPro there on both occassions (if you decide to tone it from 3 to 2).

Third up, I recommend you add a backup solution. You may want to look into Paragon Backup & Recovery. As an addition, you may wish to store personal/improtant documents onto a removable device (USB, External HDD). If you want another addition, you may want to look into Cloud Storage. A few cloud storage recommendations which have an available free option (in the case of if you do not wish to upgrade to the premium features): Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, OneDrive.

For programs you are suspicious of or are not familiar with, you may wish to sandbox them before proceeding to allow them to run on your main system. This is an extra defence, consider Antivirus software cannot block everything. For sandboxing I recommend Sandboxie. Sandboxing is execuitng a program in a "virtual environment", meaning that the actions the program being sandboxed make will not "affect" your main system. If you want an alternative than a local sandbox, consider using a Virtual Machine (free: https://www.virtualbox.org/ paid: http://www.vmware.com/ ).

I also recommend scanning programs you are unsure of on a website called https://www.virustotal.com/ which is currently owned by Google. The results of the scan will show you what other Antivirus products supported on VirusTotal think of the program (e.g. if they think it is malicious software or clean). Bear in mind that False Positives are always possible.

For privacy you may be interested in CCleaner. I prefer it to many other cleaning/optimiation software as I have seen less mess-ups whilst using CCleaner than using other software.

For browser extensions, I recommend:
- Web Of Trust (WOT) - Shows you repuation-based results on websites. Bear in mind these can be faked due to bots.
- HTTPSEverywhere - HTTPS encrypts the communication between your browser and the website. This is good for security.
- uBlock Origin - Adblocking. Blocking advertisements helps you for privacy, since advertisements can track you. Blocking them prevents this.

Should you be worried about keyloggers, try key encryption software: Keyscrambler.

Cheers. ;)

Reactions: yigido

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
So you have another personal computer/laptop? As design to install beta program then create a system image as a session as going, in case of any issues might happen; follow the suggestion by @kram7750 in terms of backup and recovery.

Same goes on other member post mentioned.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.