Rienna's security configuration (still working on it)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Modern Browsers can use a lot of resources, especially Chromium-based. How old/new is the hardware you use?

I notice more lagged responses on an 2011 Lenovo S205 (or similar), but no problems on a laptop with more power.

When you used Chromium-based, was it 32-bit or 64-bit version?

rienna

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 28, 2015
Modern Browsers can use a lot of resources, especially Chromium-based. How old/new is the hardware you use?

I notice more lagged responses on an 2011 Lenovo S205 (or similar), but no problems on a laptop with more power.

When you used Chromium-based, was it 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Pretty sure it was the standard 32-bit releases since neither Google or Opera let you choose between 32 or 64bit.
And that doesn't mean they need to use that many resources. My laptop is running an A8-3500m with HD 6620G graphics and 6GB DDR3 + 160GB WD Blue drive with beatsaudio. Specifically a "HP Pavilion dv6-6c11nr Entertainment Notebook PC
Model: A6Y56UA" that I upgraded. It's good enough to handle Skyrim at the displays native resolution (1366x768) @40-50fps, 29-40fps in certain holds even with hi-res textures on the characters (that have been optimized).

Reactions: JakeXPMan

rienna

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 28, 2015
Thanks for the details. Ill also check thta for next version

You're welcome. Hopefully it gets worked out.
I heard it was a problem with earlier releases as well. (When it was first announced here. I merely lurked then without an account).

Reactions: Dani Santos

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
So your response to my problem with Chromium based browsers is to use them anyway, just turn off hardware acceleration (which just makes things worse) and only use 360p? I'm sorry but where are you getting this logic? No offense. If IE11x can handle 720p or 1080p then Chromium oughta handle it as well on my laptops A8-3500m. But Chromium simply doesn't right now. It's not a hardware issue, it's a software issue.

Well for some reason browsers are really engaged in higher consumption, there are some things its fully work and others tends to monitor. As IE works well then you should use it instead (not a bad browser), the reason of disabling hardware acceleration or use a lower but SD is to decrease as possible the problem although not fully guaranteed ;)

Multi process browser should suppose to equally share the amount of resource usage to prevent crashes/hung.

Last edited:

rienna

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 28, 2015
Well for some reason browsers are really engaged in higher consumption, there are some things its fully work and others tends to monitor. As IE works well then you should use it instead (not a bad browser), the reason of disabling hardware acceleration or use a lower but SD is to decrease as possible the problem although not fully guaranteed ;)

Multi process browser should suppose to equally share the amount of resource usage to prevent crashes/hung.

Okie dokey.
Yeah. But shouldn't new equate to optimized? Code forward should act forward. Slimmer. Lighter. Better. Not slower and heavier.

rienna

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 28, 2015
you need a better realtime protection

I know this. But everything I've tried has ended in a laptop that no longer boots. I'll decide on a better protection after I've looked around and perhaps even done my own tests on my similarly equipped (hardware) desktop.

rienna

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 28, 2015
It won't let me update the thread fields anymore.
But I have since installed Firefox. And Tinywall.
So far so good.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.