Rocker_geek updated gaming laptop config.

rocker_geek

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 23, 2014
So I installed Fresh 8.1 and went with KIS this time as I found the 1PC 3 year license for fairly cheap. Kaspersky does seem to be heavier than AVG but gaming performance does not seem to be affected. I also added EEK as you guys suggested and AOEMI backupper seems to be a wonderful program which fulfils all my backup needs.

Last edited:

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Please specify the following by using Speccy.
  1. RAM (including DDR)
  2. Disk space.
  3. OS.
  4. Virtual RAM.
  5. Processor
  6. Graphic Card.
  7. All other information (such as opitcal drivers) that Speccy provides.
Make sure to log your temperature of hardware. In that way, we can specify you the current config for a gaming PC.

rocker_geek

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 23, 2014
It's a Lenovo Y510p man, you seriously think I don't know what a gaming laptop is? o_O
But still, here you go:
1. 8 Gb Ram
2. 1TB HDD
3. Specified in the OP
4. Why does swap file matter in this day and age?
5. Intel Core i5 4200M
6. Nvidia 755m

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Oh boy! The 4 Gigs on our Vaio seems fast, so 8 GB must make for smooth gaming!:)

I always feel more secure playing games and watching videos using Sandboxie Free. Can you tell??:p
AVG was the very first free version of an AV we'd ever used for our Windows 98,;) how are you enjoying it's current iteration?

Thank you for sharing your gaming configuration, rocker_geek

Edit: I like ESET!:D

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
If AVG Internet Security works for you then I wouldn't change it.Like Cats _4 said above AVG has been around for a long time.First free AV I ever used.Everyone has a personal preference but with no infections why change it.
You could add a couple more on demand scanners that were also previously mentioned and CCleaner or Privazer if not already installed.
Only other thing is add HTTPS Everywhere to FF.Other than that your config looks very nice.No infections is also very nice,if it aint broke don't fix it.
As Cats_4 said I am also a fan of SBIE,one of the best programs you can use.

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
If AVG Internet Security works for you then I wouldn't change it.Like Cats _4 said above AVG has been around for a long time.First free AV I ever used.Everyone has a personal preference but with no infections why change it.
You could add a couple more on demand scanners that were also previously mentioned and CCleaner or Privazer if not already installed.
Only other thing is add HTTPS Everywhere to FF.Other than that your config looks very nice.No infections is also very nice,if it aint broke don't fix it.
As Cats_4 said I am also a fan of SBIE,one of the best programs you can use.
Yeah ; if only AVG works well for him. If not, we always have options available.

rocker_geek

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 23, 2014
Well, I don't really go to shady places on the internet with this. I mostly use it as my secondary computer for gaming. And all my games are and software are legal. AVG is still better than MSE, right? And rollback RX does look good.

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Well, I don't really go to shady places on the internet with this. I mostly use it as my secondary computer for gaming. And all my games are and software are legal. AVG is still better than MSE, right? And rollback RX does look good.
Some of our friends here, on MT, absolutely Love AVG! So, it boils down to just what exterminator said, "Everyone has a personal preference but with no infections why change it..".
"Shady places" are pretty upfront with dangers you are ready for, but it's the places you trust like opening your own email and whom might be watching you (sounds paranoid but it's true)!! We even have hackers among us:eek: here (mostly reformed ones, I hope...).:p
My friend just told me about a program I use, Shadow Defender, and how it messed up this person's system. Mine is a bit buggy too on start-up sometimes. The point being even those programs that are supposed to be safe can be incompatible and corrupt the harmony of the virtual word you have at your fingertips and only notice when something is amiss!

I think I'll check out rollback RX myself!!;)

rocker_geek

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 23, 2014
Update: Using Kaspersky Internet Security now since AVG subscription period ended. I also upgraded to Windows 8.1, added Emsisoft Emergency Kit and AOEMI Backupper as imaging backup soltution. Kaspersky seems to slow down the system sometimes it seems but doesn't interfere with the gaming performance. Is this normal?
Hjj8cOh.png

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@rocker_geek: Kaspersky AV/IS will be vary/depend on the system specification caused some users experience slowdowns but others not, from screenshot above seems there's nothing wrong except high usage from FF.

rocker_geek

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 23, 2014
The problem here is disk usage. It is almost always at 0.1 MB/s atleast. The CPU usage seems to be down now that I have turned off some features (advanced disinfection). Is it normal? I didn't really notice it when running AVG/Avast.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.