Runtime error when removing malware

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Let's try this..

<ol>
<li>Download <>Malwarebytes Chameleon from <a title="External link" href="http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/chameleon" rel="nofollow external">here</a> </>and extract it to a folder in a convenient location</li>
<li>Make certain that your PC is connected to the internet and then open the folder where you extracted Chameleon to and double-click on the Chameleon help file and then follow the onscreen instructions to use it.</li>
<li>If the Chameleon help file itself will not open, then double-click each file one by one until you find one that works, which will be indicated by a black DOS/command prompt window <em><>Note:</> Do not attempt to open <>mbam-killer</> as that is not a Chameleon executable and serves a different purpose)</em></li>
<li>Follow the onscreen instructions to press a key to continue and Chameleon will proceed to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for yo</li>
<li>Once it has done this, it will attempt to update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, click <>OK</> when it says that the database was updated successful</li>
<li>Next, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will automatically open and perform a Quick scan</li>
<li>Upon completion of the scan, if anything has been detected, click on <>Show Result</></li>
<li>Have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware remove any threats that are detected and click <>Yes</> if prompted to reboot your computer to allow the removal process to complete</li>
<li>After your computer restarts, open <>Malwarebytes Anti-Malware</> and perform a Full System scan to verify that there are no remaining threats</li>
Please add both logs in your next reply.
</ol>

Last edited by a moderator:

streamlined

Thread author
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
Malwarebytes Chameleon failed : Run-time error '372'

Failed to load control 'WebBrowser' from ieframe.dll. Your version of ieframe.dll may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Download and Run Windows Repair (all in one)

Download Windows Repair (all in one)

• Install the program then run it.
  • Go to step 2 and allow it to run Disc check by clicking Do It
  • Go to step 3 and allow it to run SFC
  • Go to start repairs tab and click start.
  • Allow the program to create a system restore and backup registries when prompted.
  • Check the box next to "Restart/Shutdown system when finished" and ensure all the boxes are checked along with the default checks
  • Then click Start.

Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

streamlined

Thread author
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
The link for windows repair does not work. I think I found it manually and it failed to run/start. Did you check your link?

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Apologies for that, they must have changed the link recently.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

Try installing it in safe mode.

Also in safe mode, run mbam-clean.exe and try installing malwarebytes in safe mode as well.

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Did you get any error messages?

Go to Start > Run > type cmd in the search box and press ok

In the command prompt, type sfc /scannow

streamlined

Thread author
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
ran sfc/scannow. I guess it worked. no report generated. no error message either though, so i guess thats good

streamlined

Thread author
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
Same. Still have not fixed windows installer service. Windows won't complete update. AVG won't update definitions.

streamlined

Thread author
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
Yes, but I no longer have a windows xp cd or keycode. Had this computer for many years and have moved a lot. Dont have any original software. I guess everything is replaceable except my windows

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
You can most likely restore to factory default but you will lose your files. I recommend you to backup your files onto an external drive (USB/external hard-drive)

http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/restoring-a-dell-computer-to-factory-setting-xp-vista-w7.122411/

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.