Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Governments around the world have spent a great deal of time and effort trying to gain access to Tor, the global relay network that allows people to use the internet anonymously. Last year, America's National Security Agency - which has made a habit of sticking its nose into every corner of the digital world - credited Tor as "the king of high secure, low-latency anonymity", adding that "there are no contenders for the throne in waiting."

High praise indeed from the NSA, although Microsoft said more recently that it believes that the NSA and its UK counterpart, GCHQ, are capable, to some degree, of monitoring data sent and received by the Tor Browser, even though the network itself has not yet been cracked.

tor_browser_bundle_download_page_story.jpg

It seems that that's the goal that Russia's government has now set, as Sky News reports. Russia's Ministry of Internal Affairs has invited individuals and companies to find a way to crack the Tor network, allowing it to reliably decrypt the data that it carries.

Those wishing to enter the contest must pay a fee of 195,000 roubles (almost $5,600 USD), but the first person or group to crack the network will receive a prize of 4,000,000 roubles (just under $114,000 USD). Only Russian citizens may enter the contest, 'to ensure the defence and security of the Russian Federation'.

There are around 200,000 Tor users in Russia, and as the government there seeks to impose greater control over internet usage and data storage, having thousands of users sending and receiving data anonymously is clearly something that it views as unacceptable.

This week, the Russian parliament approved a law requiring all online companies - including Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft and others - to store data related to Russian citizens in the country, under broader anti-terrorism legislation. Russia is also taking steps to discourage the use of foreign software, in favour of home-grown software solutions.

Source: Sky News

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Never honestly used Tor Browser before, so I can't tell you what's it's like. I have heard many friends recommending it to me as a browser where you are anonymous.

D

Deleted member 178

Never honestly used Tor Browser before, so I can't tell you what's it's like. I have heard many friends recommending it to me as a browser where you are anonymous.
Tor is like a huge VPN network and some websites are only reachable via it, Tor browser is a FF browser set to connect to Tor Network directly.

Tor is good, now who maintain (and monitor the traffic passing by) the Nodes (the relay), it is another question ^^

Reactions: McLovin

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Tor is like a huge VPN network and some websites are only reachable via it, Tor browser is a FF browser set to connect to Tor Network directly.

Tor is good, now who maintain (and monitor the traffic passing by) the Nodes (the relay), it is another question ^^

I don't trust TOR, I'm gradually switching from TOR to I2P (Hidden internet project), even though then you have a different set of vulnerabilities to deal with. This is shocking news, and I'm sure the NSA will be keeping an eye on how this pans out, not that any research papers will come of it ;)

Last edited:

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
not Freenet :p

L2P ? : Learn 2 pirate? :D

Freenet is really good for file sharing P2P, a.k.a Usenet style, but for hidden services I2P is built from the ground up and in Darknet mode it's a serious TOR rival security wise.

L2P, not heard of that? Is that a hacking reference that I don't get!? :eek::eek::oops:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

i thought I2P was an "L" , you just ruined my wordplay :(

i have anther one : Incite 2 Pirate ? :D

can you share infos about it, im curious

Reactions: Cowpipe
D

Deleted member 21043

I'm sorry if people disagree with this, but, I think the government are out of order.
People say they control the internet (or like to think they do/should control it should I say), however, they didn't invent the internet. They should have no right to do so, and spy on us. Yes, now you will start talking about protection and safety, and I do admit, they don't do incredibly bad at that job by having the control they do, however, to start and try cracking confidentail webbrowsers designed to give a users freedom back and stop the stalkernment (government) from stealing their information and privacy, I think it's unfair. Again, they didn't invent the internet. Either way, they should just mind they're own business and leave people alone. I think the only time they should receive granted permissions to the access they currently have on a day to day basis with the internet is when someone reports content. But they should then only receive info related to that, not every single webpage they want.

However, I do not think VPN and Proxy is fair on their part. I think it should be made so you can only use the internet with a special thing on your PC/network, and each users is manufactured a bit differently, like a house key or car key if you like. It's designed for that house/car only. This would be so people can't hack each others, or as easily should I say. And this network thing, let's the government and only them (people high up in it) to access the IPs of people and from the web traces, BUT ONLY FOR CONTENT reported. For example, a parent see's illegal behaviour on a webpage she thinks is not safe for content viewing purposes, say for a child. Then the goverment have access to the reports IP say on case, and the IP of the publisher. The IP cannot be faked due to the network thing. This content is removed. The publisher gets a network strike. After 5 strikes you are banned for 5 days. After 10 strikes, its 20 days.

After a certain amount of strikes, your banned from the internet access for a year and have to still pay for it, and it goes on and on.

They should not have access to everyones data whenever they feel like it, if they feel like it. If it was designed properly, hackers wouldn't be hacking for "freedom" all the time. Life could be a lot simpler, too, for everyone and there would be less privacy concerns.

OR a filter too so if they catch illegal references posted through network verification, but only then they may access data.

Reactions: WinXPert
D

Deleted member 21043

Oh and they'll need more than what their money offer currently is lol... They're going to need MILLIONS.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
However, I do not think VPN and Proxy is fair on their part. I think it should be made so you can only use the internet with a special thing on your PC/network, and each users is manufactured a bit differently, like a house key or car key if you like. It's designed for that house/car only. This would be so people can't hack each others, or as easily should I say. And this network thing, let's the government and only them (people high up in it) to access the IPs of people and from the web traces, BUT ONLY FOR CONTENT reported.

Totally agree

Haha!

Some useful info here on the official site :)
https://geti2p.net/en/comparison/tor

I still have java so who cares. might as well give it a spin

Reactions: Cowpipe
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.