Not open for further replies.

Piteko21

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
-- Windows Update will be abbreviated as "WU" in text from myself.

On my home forum Sysnative, a user (wavly) was being assisted with a WU issue, which was going well, aside from the fact that wavly's WU kept getting disabled randomly. It was figured out eventually after using auditpol.exe and registry security auditing (shown below later) that the program that was responsible for disabling WU was Disable_Windowsupdate.exe, which is part of Samsung's SW Update software.

SW Update is your typical OEM updating software that will update your Samsung drivers, the bloatware that came on your Samsung machine, etc. The only difference between other OEM updating software is, Samsung's disables WU.

SW Update will install on:

Windows XP (all Service Packs) - Update service will not be installed whatsoever.
Windows Vista (x86/x64)
Windows 7/SP1 (x86/x64)
Windows 8/8.1 (x86/x64)

Do note that it does check for a Samsung environment, and if one is not detected, the program will in general run really buggy. A lot of its features won't drop or work as intended either, which is why a lot of manual work needs to be done to investigate this program.

What devices does SW Update run on?

Samsung notes:
SW Update allows you to download and install the newest drivers, updates, and software for your Windows PC.So most likely only desktop and laptop type devices that run the Windows OS.

Uninstalling/Removing Samsung’s SW Update

SW Update after install is listed in Windows' Add/Remove (or Uninstall a program) list, which can be uninstalled like any other software on your system. If you uninstall it from Windows' Add/Remove (or Uninstall a program) list, and restart, it doesn’t appear to uninstall properly. The SE Update Service is still active and running, as well as the existence of the \ProgramData\Samsung folder which would still inevitably contain "Disable_Windowsupdate.exe".

please read the full text in: http://bsodanalysis.blogspot.ie/2015/06/samsung-deliberately-disabling-windows.html

L

LabZero

Nonsense . Obviously , disable Windows Update without your consent is not a thing to do , because it seems that Samsung will provide updates via protocols not covered by encryption . Which increases the feeling of uncertainty and danger .

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Nonsense . Obviously , disable Windows Update without your consent is not a thing to do , because it seems that Samsung will provide updates via protocols not covered by encryption . Which increases the feeling of uncertainty and danger .
Yeah, "bloatware" galore on pre-installed systems!!
Reminds me of the Lenovo fiasco!!:);)

Piteko21

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
I agree, its a nonsense, but I also read that Asus did the same... now is wait to know if more companies are doing the same...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm a former owner of Samsung Ultrabook before; and SW update is installed but no strange of WIndows update to be turn off deliberately however that's totally unethical and violated the possible conditions in terms of programatically rules.

Also based on that article, its differ on the way how I set WU, which is notify for new updates instead not automatically download.

Last edited:

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
I read it yesterday and..that's just a weird way to do updates. There are a few updates on the matter here:http://arstechnica.com/information-...y-disabling-windows-update-on-some-computers/ Samsung seems to be dancing back and forth with their comments. One minute they're working with MS to look into it, the next they are denying they are disabling anything and are "giving users the option when to update". Um, Samsung, that's not how having an option works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.