Battle Sandboxie Pro vs Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welldone

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 29, 2012
Which software would you choose if you are allowed to choose only one and why?Which software provides better protection against drive-by downloads?:p

Don't worry we will have another thread between MBAEP and HMPA once HMPA v3 is released.:D

Last edited:
M

MalwareT

Sandboxie is isolating user-desired programs, but can be also used in safe browsing. Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium is best protection against exploits. And like @Fantasy said, they are two different types of programs.

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

Welldone

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 29, 2012
Last edited:
Reactions: MalwareT

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
I think you can compare them to some extent, especially when it comes to drive-by downloads, which are exploit based attacks. As of now, both programs seem to be able to defend you very well, but there is not enough information on how MBAE exactly works to compare it with Sandboxie in detail.

Sandboxie will probably be a bit stronger when it comes to protecting the system, because it treats programs under its supervision generally like they have already been compromised. On the other hand I suppose MBAE can stop attacks that don't require breaking out of an restricted environment and establishing persistence.

For example, I think Sandboxie wouldn't have protected you against something like the FBI exploit for the Tor browser, because in that case start/run- and internet access restrictions / closed IPC paths / stopping code injection into other processes wouldn't have helped, as it was all happening inside the browser process.

Personally, I really like both of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: MalwareT

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I'd choose Sandboxie Pro, but use Sandboxie Free (..yes, because it's free!:rolleyes:).
Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit & I have not yet had the pleasure of making our acquaintance although his big brother, Malwarebytes Anti-malware, has made it's home on all our computers ever since receiving such good references and rave reviews here on MT!:D

Update: Well, after listening to all that's been said I've installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Edit: Oops!:oops: I meant "Anti-Exploit"!):rolleyes: Free because even when programs are as different as salt is from pepper, it's nice to have them both on the same table together!;)

Last edited:

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Lol how you can compare complet diferent programs... its like compare winamp vs ultraiso...

You should use them both imo

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Behold Eck

dragonmew

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
these programs do different things, sandboxie is for opening apps you do not trust in a sandbox protected part of the hard drive where as MBAE is for detecting exploits within a system. so tbh you should really have both

titan1

Level 1
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
I will choose sandboxie over MBAE.Because MBAE only prevents exploits.But let us consider that we downloaded a malicious file which was pretending to be legit software.In this case MBAE can't do anything.But sandboxie will protect us.Just close the browser and delete sandbox contents,game over.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
They are both lining the walls of my armory, and it can't hurt (afaik) to have an anti-exploit covering on those rare occasions when we are required to not "open in sandbox", particularly during updates and security patching.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.