Scared & Desperate to Remove Trojan.Poweliks!gm Virus

Caramello222

Thread author
Verified
Nov 1, 2014
Windows defender, Microsoft malware removal tool, Microsoft safety scanner, malwarebyes free and their rootkit scan, JRT, adware cleaner, hitman pro. FRST scan and Zoek scan that I posted in a previous thread to get help and was assisted by TwinHeadedEagle, he couldn't find anything but since I believe it's a Trojan more has to be done in order to see it. I was going to use the programs list in your "How to easily remove any malware guide" I'd like to know your opinion before I do or perhaps get a walk through of the procedures in the guide.?

Attachments

• FRST_11-11-2014_23-50-35.txt
    23.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Addition_11-11-2014_23-50-33.txt
    29.2 KB · Views: 58
  • mbar-log-2014-11-11 (22-46-26).txt
    2 KB · Views: 46
  • system-log.txt
    59.3 KB · Views: 51
  • AdwCleaner[S0].txt
    2 KB · Views: 66

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
Helllo,

Before we begin, please note the following:
  • I will working be on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The logs can take some time to research, so please be patient with me.
  • Stay with the topic until I tell you that your system is clean. Missing symptoms does not mean that everything is okay.
  • Instructions that I give are for your system only!
  • Please do not run any tools until requested ! The reason for this is so I know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.
  • Please perform all steps in the order received. If you can't understand something don't hesitate to ask.
  • Again I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so. I will not help you if you do not follow my instructions.

Download
51a5f31352b88-icon_MBAR.png
Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit to your desktop.
  • Double-click the icon to start the tool.
  • It will ask you where to extract it, then it will start.
  • Warning! Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit needs to be run from an account with administrator rights.
  • Click in the introduction screen "next" to continue.
  • Click in the following screen "Update" to obtain the latest malware definitions.
  • Once the update is complete select "Next" and click "Scan".
  • When the scan is finished and no malware has been found select "Exit".
  • If malware was detected, make sure to check all the items and click "Cleanup". Reboot your computer.
  • Open the MBAR folder and paste the content of the following files in your next reply:
    • "mbar-log-{date} (xx-xx-xx).txt"
    • "system-log.txt"

FRST.gif
Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool
Please re-run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool to give me a fresh look at your system.
  • Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Make sure that Addition option is checked.
  • Press Scan button and wait.
  • The tool will produce two logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
Please include their content into your next reply.

Caramello222

Thread author
Verified
Nov 1, 2014
Helllo,

Before we begin, please note the following:
  • I will working be on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The logs can take some time to research, so please be patient with me.
  • Stay with the topic until I tell you that your system is clean. Missing symptoms does not mean that everything is okay.
  • Instructions that I give are for your system only!
  • Please do not run any tools until requested ! The reason for this is so I know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.
  • Please perform all steps in the order received. If you can't understand something don't hesitate to ask.
  • Again I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so. I will not help you if you do not follow my instructions.

Download
51a5f31352b88-icon_MBAR.png
Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit to your desktop.
  • Double-click the icon to start the tool.
  • It will ask you where to extract it, then it will start.
  • Warning! Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit needs to be run from an account with administrator rights.
  • Click in the introduction screen "next" to continue.
  • Click in the following screen "Update" to obtain the latest malware definitions.
  • Once the update is complete select "Next" and click "Scan".
  • When the scan is finished and no malware has been found select "Exit".
  • If malware was detected, make sure to check all the items and click "Cleanup". Reboot your computer.
  • Open the MBAR folder and paste the content of the following files in your next reply:
    • "mbar-log-{date} (xx-xx-xx).txt"
    • "system-log.txt"

FRST.gif
  • Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
  • The tool will produce two logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
Thank you for your interest in helping me with my malware issues. I agree to your terms and conditions. So your up to date, out of desperation last night I tried to diy the problem myself in which I became discouraged about the scan results coming clean. I used the following anti-programs from "Remove Trojan/Downloader.Geral.sie (Virus Removal Guide). Kaspersky TDSSKiller Rootkit Utility, RKill, Malwarebytes Anti-malware.

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
FRST.gif
Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

icon_exclaim.gif
This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine.
icon_exclaim.gif

icon_exclaim.gif
Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable.
icon_exclaim.gif
Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

• Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finished FRST will generate a log on the Desktop, called Fixlog.txt.

Please attach it to your reply.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    434 bytes · Views: 62

Caramello222

Thread author
Verified
Nov 1, 2014
FRST.gif

icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif

icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

• Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.

Attachments

• mbar-log-2014-11-22 (16-18-23).txt
    2 KB · Views: 47
  • system-log.txt
    110.5 KB · Views: 49
  • FRST.txt
    38.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Addition.txt
    32.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Fixlog.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 41

Caramello222

Thread author
Verified
Nov 1, 2014
Internet Explorer is working normal again. I put my personal settings and they stuck after reboot, no redirecting, no locked homepage, and no more about:blank. But the ads are still in my apps.

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
adwcleaner_new.png
Fix with AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save the file to your desktop.

• Right-click on
    adwcleaner_new.png
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
  • Follow the prompts and click Scan.
  • When finished, please click Clean.
  • Upon completion, click Report. A log (AdwCleaner[S*].txt) will open.

Please include the contents of that file in your reply.

Caramello222

Thread author
Verified
Nov 1, 2014
adwcleaner_new.png
Fix with AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save the file to your desktop.

• Right-click on
    adwcleaner_new.png
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
  • Follow the prompts and click Scan.
  • When finished, please click Clean.
  • Upon completion, click Report. A log (AdwCleaner[S*].txt) will open.

Please include the contents of that file in your reply.
I think I have a problem C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\ProgramData\ssurrfkEepit. That folder use to read Windows Defender Adware Cleaner so when I downloaded Adware Cleaner by Xplode I put it in the same folder. Today when I went to extract the Adware cleaner for your requested scan it's not there anymore. There is nothing in that folder showing Windows Defender adware cleaner anymore. There are only 3 things in it, the path I showed you above and AdwCleaner[S0].txt and AdwCleaner[R0].txt. Does that mean surfkeepit is still running programs on my computer and that's why the Adware Cleaner is gone? When I download Adware cleaner again by Xplode do I need to rename the file before saving it to my desktop? Also the fake task maintenance scans are still going. Should I disable my internet connection by taking out the cord from the computer to the modem when I'm not using the internet?

Caramello222

Thread author
Verified
Nov 1, 2014
The registry section of the scan showed 2 items of savedailydeals, after reboot there is only one. Should I run the scan again. I think it got away because while I was writing down the prevention tips after I clicked clean and one of those fake scans started.

Attachments

• AdwCleaner[S1].txt
    915 bytes · Views: 44

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
Should I disable my internet connection by taking out the cord from the computer to the modem when I'm not using the internet?

Not it is not necessary.

FRST.gif
  • Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg

Caramello222

Thread author
Verified
Nov 1, 2014
Not it is not necessary.

FRST.gif
  • Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    39.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Addition.txt
    29.6 KB · Views: 118

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
FRST.gif

icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif

icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif

• Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    990 bytes · Views: 45

Caramello222

Thread author
Verified
Nov 1, 2014
FRST.gif

icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif

icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif

• Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 58

Caramello222

Thread author
Verified
Nov 1, 2014
I do not see active malware. How's your computer behaving now?
Good, thx. IE and my apps are loading and running smoothly, my free games that have ads no longer have classmates.com posted or a bunch of ads posted all over. And my action center icon is no longer showing fake scans being done and the Cd-rom is no longer turning on all be it's self. Truly, thank you so much for your help, that stuff was making me feel really down about myself. I have one last question, since I want to go back to my original OS WIN 8 from WIN 8.1, which process would help to make sure it's gone, a reset or reformatting my hard drive?

Last edited:

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
I have one last question, do you think it's safe now for me to revert back to Win8 from Win8.1

Not never.
Win 8.1 is much better.

Download DelFix by Xplode and save it to your desktop.
  • Run the tool by right click on the
    51a5ce45263de-delfix.png
    icon and Run as administrator option.
  • Make sure that these ones are checked:
    • Remove disinfection tools
    • Purge system restore
    • Reset system settings
  • Push Run and wait until the tool completes his work.
  • All tools we used should be gone. Tool will create an report for you (C:\DelFix.txt)
The tool will also record healthy state of registry and make a backup using ERUNT program in %windir%\ERUNT\DelFix
Tool deletes old system restore points and create a fresh system restore point after cleaning.

Greeting!

Caramello222

Thread author
Verified
Nov 1, 2014
Not never.
Win 8.1 is much better.

Download DelFix by Xplode and save it to your desktop.
  • Run the tool by right click on the
    51a5ce45263de-delfix.png
    icon and Run as administrator option.
  • Make sure that these ones are checked:
    • Remove disinfection tools
    • Purge system restore
    • Reset system settings
  • Push Run and wait until the tool completes his work.
  • All tools we used should be gone. Tool will create an report for you (C:\DelFix.txt)
The tool will also record healthy state of registry and make a backup using ERUNT program in %windir%\ERUNT\DelFix
Tool deletes old system restore points and create a fresh system restore point after cleaning.

Greeting!
There is a very important reason why I need to go back to Win 8. I received a message from HP in my HP assistants app, that WIN 8.1 was not tested on my computer model. The list of instability problems were all things I was continually having problems with, blank or black screens, loss of internet connectivity, and disabled hardware devices. HP advices to wait for updates to become available, which I'm tired of waiting for and almost every time they send an update it jacks up something on my computer. The other suggestion is to backup data and use HP system recovery. Also I see no real difference between to two except for I was much happier using WIN 8. You're the only person I've come across that actually likes WIN 8.1, everyone else hates it and calls it a piece of crap rush job for money.

Attachments

• DelFix.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 48

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
Both are garbage comparing to Windows 7, but Windows 8.1 are certainly better then Windows 8.
Things that makes some OS work better than other are usually things that You should not see as regular user. Both 8 and 8.1 are garbage (by my opinion), but 8.1 is try to prolong life of Win 8. So that fact talk fot itself about it. Its a huge patch of 8.0
Fact that Your system is not well supported does not mean that some OS is good or bad, simplyfied it mean that manufacturer of Your PC did not do good job with support for that model.

Last edited:

Caramello222

Thread author
Verified
Nov 1, 2014
Both are garbage comparing to Windows 7, but Windows 8.1 are certainly better then Windows 8.
Things that makes some OS work better than other are usually things that You should not see as regular user. Both 8 and 8.1 are garbage (by my opinion), but 8.1 is try to prolong life of Win 8. So that fact talk fot itself about it. Its a huge patch of 8.0
Fact that Your system is not well supported does not mean that some OS is good or bad, simplyfied it mean that manufacturer of Your PC did not do good job with support for that model.
Very true, I agree with you 100% that HP didn't do their job. Just like years ago in the late 90's or early 00's the OS at that time was WIN 98 and HP put out a piece of crap computer that resulted in a class action lawsuit. I was one of the people that bought the crap computer and HP's apology to me was a $50.00 gift certificate to shop HP products only. I found that to be insulting so I wrote kiss my a** on it and mailed it back, lol. But in 2014 I believe they share the blame, HP should have made sure there was plenty of warnings for users of the incompatible PC sent out before 8.1 was downloaded not after. And Microsoft should have told the truth or at least hinted to the incompatibility instead of nonsense like roll back your driver. Anyway, the only reason why I have this HP computer is because it was a gift, and beggars can't be choosers. To conclude, I thank the heavens for people like you who actually give a damn about the little guys like me. If the upcoming events in my life workout like I'm hoping for, I will definetinly be dropping a donation in your name. If there is any reading material you recommend I read to help prevent this from happening again, please let me know. I hope your Thanksgiving was blessed and you have a Happy Bargain Hunting Black Friday too.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.