Security advice....this or that?

kjdemuth

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Hello folks,
Normally I don't ask for help, rather I'm the one dispensing it. Recently sandboxie has been giving me a headache. It's been one issue with it after another. Basically I'm calling a separation. The forum hasn't been much help and I've received some advice from various friends from wilders. I've come down to WSA and Comodo firewall. My next question is what should I add next. I was thinking either Qihoo 360 (yeah I know two AV's), EAM, MBAM or maybe even Shadow defender. I also have voodooshield and NVT ERP available to use. What do you guys and gals think?

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
WSA+Comodo is a tight combo. I have seen many configuration's in this forum with that combo. I guess they have a decent performance of their system with this. I recomend u to use Shadow Defender along with it. You may add MBAM as an on demand scanner. Or u can replace WSA with EAM. Choice is urs. No necessary of adding 2 AV's , If so i guess u may face some compatibility issues running 3 suits.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
WSA is a companion software meant to run alongside another AV.Personally I like EAM & CFW but you cannot go wrong with any of these.Don't know what OS your running or the problems with SBIE but I also like the combo of Shadow Defender and some on demand scanner(s) to accompany them.If you are on windows 8 I would try Windows built in security.

kjdemuth

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I'm running Win 8.1 64 bit. Sandboxie seems to be going through a transition. Invincea came in and made a good showing but the response isn't nearly as good now that Tzuk is gone. I'm hoping that the newest version that is going to come out will fix the problem.
Other than that Shadow Defender I keep forgetting to either committing things to system or excluding things. I was thinking of just running CFW, WSA and MBAM realtime. I know that WSA detection isn't that great so I would have CFW and MBAM picking up the slack.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Webroot and 360 Internet Security both have their own variations of a sandbox, not sure what type though. At the moment, I can't say I completely trust Qihoo 360, so I thought maybe NVT with Webroot?

If you keep Windows and all other software updated you shouldn't have any issues with malware bypassing UAC, and with NVT and Webroot as prevention.

kjdemuth

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Ok. I'm keeping it light. WSA, Comodo firewall (Full virt sandbox, Hips enabled.) and Shadow Defender. Shadow defender has some folder exclusions like documents and google drive. I also put the folders that I excluded from SD into comodo protected data folder area. This way if something does mess around with it hopefully that will protect any data in there. I also have Norton DNS and HItman pro running daily on start. The only thing that I hope is that I can remember to turn off SD to allow MS updates. Whatcha think?

I

illumination

Ok. I'm keeping it light. WSA, Comodo firewall (Full virt sandbox, Hips enabled.) and Shadow Defender. Shadow defender has some folder exclusions like documents and google drive. I also put the folders that I excluded from SD into comodo protected data folder area. This way if something does mess around with it hopefully that will protect any data in there. I also have Norton DNS and HItman pro running daily on start. The only thing that I hope is that I can remember to turn off SD to allow MS updates. Whatcha think?

I run Eset with Hitman Pro as my on demand with Shadow defender also on demand.

When i first fire up the system, i will update everything, and if i know im going to do some testing of software or going somewhere unknown on the net, i will then fire up SD.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I also run ESS on Windows 8 as it ran well without conflict from Windows 8 release

@kjdemuth if you would like to take ESET Nod32 Antivirus or Eset Smart Security for a test spin let me know.ESS key will work for both.

kjdemuth

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Sure I'll give it a whirl. So what do you suggest? Just ESS and WSA?

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Of course I have to disagree. KJ- coming from Sandboxie, the best fit would be CF. Enable the Firewall, set the sandbox to Full V (like Sandboxie) and disable the HIPS. And if you very rarely or ever come across malware in normal use I don't see any point in adding anything to it.

kjdemuth

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I'm happy to say that sandboxie newest beta seems to be working. It rolled out last night and I've been using it without issue. So it's back to sandboxie, CFW and WSA. Thank you all for the suggestions and help. I now have some thoughts on what to do if this happens again.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.